2024-03-29, 14:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anime (any recommendations?)  (Read 8225 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2006-06-20, 21:44 »

Since I am off work -been off about 6 weeks, and have a sick note for another 4, then 7 weeks summer holiday - plus anti-depressants ( well, more to stop mood swings than anything else,  and lower blood pressure as I was getting pretty crazy at one point, creative artist, you know...)

I have started watching anime. Didn't know much about it, apart from 'warriors of the winds' which I saw a long time ago.

Over the last 10 days I have seen:
Spirited away.
Howl's moving castle.(a classic)
NieA_7 (don't know about this yet, having only seen 2 parts)
Colorful' (full of panties)
CLFL (which was the best by far)
and Dokuro-chan (BAT and I laughed til we cried)

anyone recommend any other good ones? Slipgate - Ownage
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-21, 06:56 »

If you liked the first 2 (although the Englishized versions are crappy imo), I suggest you go see more of Ghibli/Miyazaki work. The last two movies are qualitatively a-ok, but they lacked a certain grittiness for me and seemed to have somewhat superficial stories. The fairy-tale passed me by, instead of dragging me in.

Great Miyazaki anime:
- Kaze no Tani no Naushika? (Nausicaa & the valley of the wind)
- Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) (I'm sure you know this one Slipgate - Smile)
- Porco Rosso
- Neko no ongaeshi (The cat returns)

Non-Miyazaki Ghibli productions
- Haturo no haka (Grave/tombstone of the fireflies) (Although this is no light-hearted fairy-tale, but a realistic drama -- a very good one)

Ofcourse, but I actually feel guilty recommending it, since I can't imagine someone here doesn't know it yet, Akira is not to be missed.

I've been out of it a while, but if others pop to mind, I'll post em here :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-21, 08:10 »

I'm not really much of an anime fan myself, so I'm afraid I can't make any recommendations.  I have seen Akira.  I thought the story was very strange, but the artwork was fantastic.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-21, 09:48 »

I unfortunately have not kept up with various anime shows.

However, I can make a few, albeit older suggestions.

Puni Puni Poemi - It's a very short-lived series that's chock-full of randomness and parodies of other shows.  The english dub is especially fantastic.

Excel Saga - Excel Saga is like Puni Puni Poemi Lite.  It's a full-on anime series with just enough random humor to drive you insane and keep you watching it.

Trigun - I believe the anime runs 26 episodes long, but it has some great humor and it also has some great drama.  The english dub is also pretty damn good.

Great Teacher Onizuka - The story of one teacher at a troubled high-school in Japan.  There's lots of great humor in this one, but there's also some great drama too.

Now on the dramatic/romance side of things...

Fushigi Yugi - Spans many episodes and many series, but I really enjoyed what I saw of it.  Essentially, a young girl gets pulled into another world by a magic book, and she is seen as the savior by one of four warring nations.

Love Hina - The obligatory romance anime.  It's quite funny too if a bit dragged out.

Great series that were never finished...

Dragon Half - It's damn funny and the dub is pretty good here too.

Bastard!! - Stereo-typical VA's but a lot of humor and a lot of good action.  Dark Schneider is a pimp.

Obligatory violent/thriller anime...

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - The original Vampire Hunter D was also decent, but I just like the animation quality in this.  Both movies are based off a graphic novel illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano, the lead character designer for FF1 - FF6 just about.

Perfect Blue - Suspense/thriller.  By the end of watching this movie, you'll hate the line, "Excuse me, who are you?"

Stuff I recommend you stay away from...

Akira - The majority of the movie involves some guy screaming "Akira" which causes a lot of shit to explode and many people to die.  If you must watch it, don't expect a sensical plot.  Do expect lots of impressive hand-drawn animation and orange blood however.

Ninja Scroll - The whole reason why this damn movie is so popular is because of how much sex and violence is in the film.  It's not a hentai per se, but you will see a full-on sex scene as well as reptiles emerging from a certain part of the female anatomy.  The plot is decent, but the dialogue is horrible.

Ghost in the Shell - Impressive animation, lots of explosions and violence, non-sensical plot, shitty ending.

Edit: Oh also, if you like giant robots, I recommend the Gundam series.  I like a lot of the older stuff that's based in the same universe.  (Mobile Suit Gundam, Z, ZZ, and so on.)
« Last Edit: 2006-06-21, 09:58 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-21, 10:12 »

Most Ghibli movies are amazing pieces of work, simply must-see. Now, some stuff that you must watch:

Fullmetal Alchemist - One of the most amazing animes ever. This anime has abundant and amazing plot twists, animation, soundtrack, etc. It tells the journey of two brothers and their quest for... well... just watch this anime. But be warned, it is a violent anime, both physically and psychologically. 52 Eps and 1 Movie (you must watch the movie to see the ending)

FLCL - One musn't look at this only as a comedy show. An excellent anime too, and short! Eps-6

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - Although it hasn't ended, it is a very good adventure anime, brought to you by the CLAMP gals. Eps-?

Gunslinger Girl - Good drama, nice action, and it's in Italy! It's about a group of girls that suffered deep traumas and were collected by the Italian goverment, to test mechanised bodies and to train them as elite assassins. Eps-13

Kino no Tabi - Very good anime that tells the story of a girl and a motorbike that peacefully travel along their land. Eps-13

Last Exile - Old-school WWII airplane fights! It has an unique ambience, leading to a great anime. Eps-26

Azumanga Daioh - Pure comedy. The definition of "lol". Eps-26

I've mentioned some animes that are a must watch. I seriously recommend you all to watch Fullmetal Alchemist, it's simply an amazing anime.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-21, 12:44 »

Ninja scroll isnt any where near hentai its just a rated R cartoon. Back in my day all anime was like that. Full of sex and violence and jiggly bosoms. Since no one here seems able to recomend anything more than trendy teenybopper crap ill recomend a few classics.

Dominion tank police: police drive around in tanks. A classic from the days when watching anime could get you beaten up.

The Slayers: a fantasy setting with mulitiple jokes about the lead characters small bosom.

Project A-ko : a 16 year old red headed schoolgirl named A-ko who has super human strength for no Apparent  reason ( thought theres kind of a subtle joke about her being the daughter of superman and wonderwoman. Her dad's  name is clark and reads the daily planet and her mom's name is diana.) fights   the robotic minions the evil genius B-ko. Why do they fight? Woman issues i imagine. This was the first anime i saw in the early 90s on the sci-fi channel and it began my frequently frustrating quests for anime entertainment. Anime didnt become commonly available untill around the mid 90s and even then a VHS could put you back 40 bucks. Im not kidding.

Wicked City: two "black guards" defend an ancient lecherous diplomat to ensure the success of a peace treaty between the human world and a dark mysterious alternate universe called the Black world. This was directed by the same guy that did ninja scroll and it has alot of the same traits. Dont watch with your kids.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-21, 15:36 »

Ghost in the Shell - Impressive animation, lots of explosions and violence, non-sensical plot, shitty ending.

Forgot to mention that one, although I don't agree with the last two comments on it. Very good stuff (great soundtrack, too). :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-21, 17:01 »

Hmm... now that names are being mentioned, I'm remembering a few others I've seen.  I think this is when I still found television mildly curious.  I may have seen Project A-ko, is that the one with the girl that's always getting attacked by giant robots on the way to school each morning?  I think I found it rather amusing for the "wtf" factor, especially since the antagonist managed to build a new robot every night. Doom - Huh?

Dominion Tank Police:  Did this take place on Venus?  If so I might have seen it too.  I don't remember much about it except they had, well, big tanks.

I've seen Vampire Hunter D, and also another called Lensman.  I don't remember much about either.

Mobile Suit Gundam... I saw that one about two years back.  It bored me to tears.  It moved too slow, but that might be because it was a serial-turned-movies instead of something intended to be strictly a movie format.  Avoid if you bore easily, I can think of better ways to spend 6 hours of time.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-21, 17:39 »

Pho your thinking of Venus wars which was also excellent. In truth that was likely the first anime i saw but im not sure. Project A-ko was really the first one i was really into but i dont kow if it was the first one i saw. I was but a lad in a comic books shop in the fair town of santa rosa califorina when if first saw it. The red headed school girl leaving a trail of dust behind her because her defects of character required her to run to school at super human speed to be there on time.  I really cant say why it impressed me so much but damn if it isnt good nostalgia. i belive ill record it for posterity in my log.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #9 on: 2006-06-21, 19:24 »

Here's a link for ya. It's an enormous anime database:

ANIDB

EDIT : Don't watch Love Hina, instead, read it. The anime couldn't capture the ambience of the manga IMO.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-21, 19:31 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2006-06-21, 19:29 »

Well it seems there are a lot more than i thought there'd be. Nausicaa & the valley of the wind is a re-edit of warriors of the wind, which i've seen, but it was a while ago, and i intend to get it again. seems peoples views differ wildly on whats good and whats bad. I'll basically borrow what i can from BAT, and such, and check out ebay for what i can find. I've a good list to look for now.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #11 on: 2006-06-21, 19:33 »

eBay is dangerous, simply because many people put on for sale fansubbed animes. Be very careful with that.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2006-06-22, 10:32 »

scryed
full metal panic
samurai deeper kyo
vandread
shadow skill (tv, NOT the oav)
rah xephon
flame of recca
« Last Edit: 2006-06-22, 10:35 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #13 on: 2006-06-23, 23:06 »

i suggest AMV hell if you've got the patience for bittorent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: