2024-04-20, 12:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Trek Redone?  (Read 3109 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2006-09-01, 02:02 »

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24344

So now you can see it both ways - the original series on DVD, or this updated version with the new special effects and remastering.  I'm still a bit miffed over the DVD release of Star Trek:  The Motion Picture not being available in the Special Longer Version I have on VHS.  I liked that version the best, and I did not like the changes done to the Motion Picture DVD release:  eg, the computer voice, the ship alarm, the V-GER exterior shots.  I always liked the fact that you never got to see the whole thing from a long-range exterior.  It took away that sense of mass when they did the DVD.  I know that's what the director wanted, but cinematically it lost something with the updated effects.

Regarding the series, I think this is going to be a bit less revisionist than what Lucas did with Star Wars, but I'm curious to see if they bollocks the whole thing up, or if the new effects add to the series at all.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-02, 02:21 »

Not having seen the DVD version of the Motion Picture, I can't comment on that, but if the Star Wars special editions are anything to go by, this could be a very mixed bag indeed. My main issue with the SW updates was that certain scenes I (personally) would have expected to be remixed were completely left alone, resulting in visuals which ping-ponged between utterly stunning and utterly crap. Thing is, they didn't seem as crap in the original editions ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: