2024-04-25, 21:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generations Single Player bot match (Some things I would like to see.)  (Read 6742 times)
Lightning Hunter

Imp

« on: 2003-07-23, 10:40 »

Hello everyone,

I just now heard about Generations on the DoomsdayHQ forum (Jdoom) and have been into it every since.  I have been a fan of all these games the classes came from in Generations.  Infact, I still make maps for Doom Slipgate - Tongue  I will probably be making occasional posts around here from now on because this is another project that I am interested in.  I love following big projects that aim to make games better, such as the Doomsday engine for Doom/Heretic/Hexen, Telejano for Quake, NewHexen for Hexen 2, etc.

I'm not sure if these things have been suggested yet or not, but I would like to suggest some Single Player ideas for Bot Match games.  There was this mod I downloaded for Unreal Tournament a while back called Xmaps that chose a random map out of all thousands of maps you might have in your /maps folder.  It was cool because you could start a bot match, add in the number of bots you want for that particular map, and then it would go to the next map after the match is over.  If the map it switched to isn't good, you could hit a key to skip to the next random level.  Also, I downloaded another mod by the same creator called Xbots.  This would chose random bots that you have installed.  These 2 features are what make me want to play SP matches against bots over, and over again.  I'll make a small summary of what I'm talking about if it isn't very clear Slipgate - Smile

1. Make it so that when you start a bot match, it will chose a random map out of all the maps you have.  When you get tired of it, you could hit a key, or a small menu in the game and skip to the next level.  
2. Make it so that whenever you enter the next level, you tell how many bots for the game to add in.  I hate it when you choose a number of bots, like 10 for example, and the game automatically puts 10 bots into every random map it chooses.  No one likes to battle 10 bots on tiny maps, and I don't think people like to hunt a few bots down on massive maps either Slipgate - Tongue  I like it when you can view the map for a second to determine the size before you tell how many bots to add in.
3. Make it so that when you add in bots, they are randomly chosen.  So if I download 100+ bot models off polycount, the game will randomly choose bots from those 100.  

I know this might be asking for alot, but if you combined these features with Generations, it would be the freaking best thing on this planet Slipgate - Laugh

Sorry for the long post, but hey, gotta make my first post big Slipgate - Tongue
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-07-23, 19:05 »

Welcome aboard!

First thing: Bots in q3 are stupid. Not just dumb, they're S_T_U_P_I_D. They have nowhere NEAR the AI of a UT bot. Upping the difficulty on a q3 bot does 2 things. Makes them more accurate when they shoot and less likely to just stand there looking at you while you tear them to pieces with your melee weapon.

Second: Bots will be MUCH easier to add in .99c. They're currently a pain in the ass in 0.99b. You either have to add them manually, one at a time, through the console command /addbot botname class difficulty, or you can type /bot_minplayers X, where X is the minimum number of random bots you want on the server. If anyone joins, they'll take the place of one of the bots, and so on.

In 99c I THINK you can add them from the menu (don't quote me on that. Where's phoenxi when you need him?) by clicking the appropriate bot name.
Lightning Hunter

Imp

« Reply #2 on: 2003-07-23, 19:29 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
In 99c I THINK you can add them from the menu (don't quote me on that. Where's phoenxi when you need him?) by clicking the appropriate bot name.
Thanks for replying so fast Slipgate - Smile

how about a option that adds them from the menu, but where you don't have to click the name of the approprate bot?  In Quake3 it gets really annoying after you have downloaded hundreds of user made models, and there is a list a mile long of bot names to click on.  No one is going to learn all those names Slipgate - Tongue  In a case such as that, you should have a option that says "add a random bot".

Edit: hehe, just realized I quoted you where you said don't quote me on that  Slipgate - Tongue  But I was just trying to point out where you mentioned you have to click on the bot names Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2003-07-23, 19:30 by Lightning Hunter » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-07-23, 20:33 »

/bot_minplayers X

Puts a number of random bots in the game in order to reach the appropriate minimum # of players (x)

ex:
/bot_minplayers 5

If no one is on the server, 5 random bots will be in
If one person is on the server, 4 random bots will be playing
Etc.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-07-23, 21:42 »

There's no bot menu in 99c yet... *hint hint* pho...  make us a menu! Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-07-24, 00:19 »

Ugh, that's UI stuff, and I'm not making any promises.  I've still got a very large workload.  If it makes it, it will be a last-minute thing, otherwise it will have to wait until the next release.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lightning Hunter

Imp

« Reply #6 on: 2003-07-24, 05:51 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Ugh, that's UI stuff, and I'm not making any promises.  I've still got a very large workload.  If it makes it, it will be a last-minute thing, otherwise it will have to wait until the next release.
Woah, next release?  I was thinking that this was a feature I would have to wait several releases for Slipgate - Tongue   But if all it takes to make this feature is to slap it together the last minute, then sounds good to me! Slipgate - Smile

You will find out that I'm a very patient guy though Slipgate - Smile  I know you probably have lots of people making suggestions for new features, so take your time.
« Last Edit: 2003-07-24, 05:53 by Lightning Hunter » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-07-24, 13:40 »

like me

TA weapons  changing to genweapons please Slipgate - Smile
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2003-07-26, 17:33 »

My only worthwhile suggestion would be to update gen-q1dm4 in the mappack. The current version is bland and ugly when I look at it any more... and it has a railgun... that's just wrong. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: