2024-04-23, 21:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Punkbuster (Love it or Hate it?)  (Read 13041 times)
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« on: 2003-08-05, 18:48 »

[12:51:06] <[PB-Staff]JAA> 99.99% of q3 users love it
Krazy-Killa

Light Guard

« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-05, 18:54 »

HAHA, that's such a load of crock.  I've hated it, and always will hate it since it first started out for Half-Life.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-05, 20:47 »

Give in to your anger!  Only your HATRED can destroy me!

Who's Your Daddy?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-05, 20:48 »

Any chance of a "Don't care" option? I have only had one problem with PB, and I solved it in about 30 seconds.
Krazy-Killa

Light Guard

« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-05, 20:49 »

Hehe...  I gave in to my anger long ago.

"I am the man without kindness... I am, Krazy-Killa!" :angry:
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-05, 20:52 »

Every problem i've had with PB has been, Lag... Which is usually solved in 15 minutes playing on a server while i get authenticated.

The second problem is playing behind a NAT on my own servers.

I have to connect to an EXTERNAL PB server, just to play on my own, if my IP isn't in the PB cache.

Seems a little too much to be FORCED to use?

Yes, you can turn it off.. but then you have cheaters... I remember admining my Q2 server, didn't have these kinds of problems with that. Ofcourse there was competition with Anti-cheat DLL's back in those days, nobody had a monopoly like PB does. With monopolies comes crappy work, as is shown in PB. Sure it prevents cheaters, but there are still issues to work out.
Krazy-Killa

Light Guard

« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-05, 20:57 »

Isn't there another way around it.  Like for instance, the cheaters can just auth with PB?  Or can PB actually detect if they're using a dll that let's them cheat? Doom - Huh?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-05, 22:59 »

In q3 it can be problematic with authentications, additional lag, odd variables that get checked in clients' configs, etc.

however for the most part, it has worked fine for me. I've been playing a lot of Enemy Territory, and have had no complications or interruptions with PB (at least, none that I know of that I haven't corrected already).
« Last Edit: 2003-08-05, 23:01 by Tekhead » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-06, 08:24 »

I've noticed that it likes to turn itself on at random after you've turned it off.  I had a hell of a time just getting Q3 to load once when I was knocked off the net.  It seems it wants to talk something outside of your computer ASAP while it's still loading the freaking game's main screen.  I got my cable connection back, and my oh my the game loads in a second or two.  How interesting.  I despise cheaters of any kind, but this is too damned invasive/bloatware for my tastes.  I don't think I need anyone's PERMISSION to play a game I paid money for any damned time I feel like it.

Invasive anti-cheats can be worse than cheaters.  Cheaters are come and go, but this is ALWAYS there.  You're stuck with it.  I stopped playing RA2 for this very reason.  Why?  Because instead of the old server-side anti cheats like BwAdmin people went to Q2ACE, which I have to go out and download myself as a client.  That's an inconvenience.  I also prefer to use my Doom Unleashed model in place of the cyborg, and replace the Q2 female model with the old Quakeguy.  Some might call that cheating but how does that differ from cg_forcemodels in Q3?  So what if I don't like RA2's model restrictions in team play?  I could even live with that if I didn't have to go download some stupid program just to play.

I think the problem is what's defined as cheating and what's not.  Some people think if you run picmip 5 it's cheating.  Others think throwing in dayglow skins or that sort of thing is cheating.  I say if they think they have to do that to win let them.  As long as they're not using see-through wallhacks or aimbots what difference does it really make?  Those are the gameplay killers, not some bloke turning the detail down all the way or painting "kick me" on the back of a skin they hate.  Some people play Q3 with simple items, no weapon model, picmip through the roof, low model detail, no effects, etc, and think it's absolutely wonderful.  So what?  If that's what they like, let them play that way.  I remember ranting about this before in the PQ mailbag.  If they can make anti cheats INVISIBLE to the player instead of "in your face" like PB is then I'd be happy with it.  It doesn't get in my way too much at the moment, but on a modem those little "Punkbuster Queries" were nice for resulting in a dead player.  THAT to me is what is the most unacceptable element of PB.  Modem gamers lag enough as it is without the game adding to it.

Rule #1 - do not annoy the players.  They can always play something else.

Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-06, 15:34 »

pb sucks, and will always sucks.. ive followed the cheating scene for quite a while(and ill admit, i have been lured to the dark side of cheating before..wont deny ive used em, no point)...and pb aint stopping much, everytime they update to block the cheats, the cheat coders just make a workaround.. its just dumb and pointless and im getting tired of getting kicked from servers cause PB decides it doesnt like to update properly..  fact is, i dont play very much anymore, and half the reason is cause im tired of having the sporking update PB manually because their auto update software doesnt like to work on my system. (as a final note, i have never been 'caught' cheating.. and there are many cheaters out there you wont even see as cheating because they are sporking good at hiding it.. )
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2003-08-06, 17:27 »

I've noticed that it likes to turn itself on at random after you've turned it off. I had a hell of a time just getting Q3 to load once when I was knocked off the net. It seems it wants to talk something outside of your computer ASAP while it's still loading the freaking game's main screen. I got my cable connection back, and my oh my the game loads in a second or two. How interesting. I despise cheaters of any kind, but this is too damned invasive/bloatware for my tastes. I don't think I need anyone's PERMISSION to play a game I paid money for any damned time I feel like it.

I just ran into this yesterday. Our ISP was doing some pretty major changes, and my 'net connection was off and on. I decided I was going to go test gen vs some bots and perhaps test Q3pong out as well.

Q3 wouldn't even load. I had to ctrl/alt/del it to get out. If this is PB's fault, then I'm no longer in the "I don't care" camp.

/me votes "Hate It"
Krazy-Killa

Light Guard

« Reply #11 on: 2003-08-06, 19:38 »

I've had my share of bad luck with PB.  When my dad was usin' it for his CS Server.  Everytime I connect, I get booted off it every 5 minutes.  I kept tellin' my dad to uninstall it, cuz it was junk, but never did.  So I told him, "I'm not against you or your friends until you get rid of it.", he said, "Fine."  Then he finally did after about 1 year of usin' it.  Now he's usin' valves security crap.  lol  Which thankfully, doesn't kick me off every 5 minutes.
 Oh My F'ing Gawd
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2003-08-06, 20:06 »

Hed, punkbuster doesn't catch everything. That task alone is damn-near impossible. However, it'll catch the hack-wannabes that found out what r_shownormals does, among many, many other common (and uncommon) exploits.

Pho - your preference in models apparently isn't the same as the mod author's. You could chat with them about custom models that you'd like to see in the game, but that would take time and effort with a dash of persuasion. Otherwise, "Wah!" =P

Quake3 does have problems handling it, and the only way around it is by either fancy config dancing/updating, communication between servers AND clients (if one has a different version, neither can work together), or just to turn it off alltogether. I believe this is because PB was implemented in Quake3 so late...

Once again, I have had NO problems with punkbuster in Enemy Territory.  PB was a part of ET from its first full release, and it has gone silky smooth with the game.

My point? PB and Q3 are fighting, we know this. You guys should write complaints to evenbalance and have them work something out before they completely give up on Quake3  Slipgate - Wink
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-08-06, 21:27 »

heh well i always have probs with pb, first it wont update auto. on my system evey time theres an update i'll have to go and download it manually. second it do freeze upon loding q3 it takes forever for me to reach the main menu.. i know this is an pb error cuz i installed an earlier Q3 patch and it worked smooth.

Of course PB do help when preventing cheaters to cheat. thats the only good thing with this prog.

My vote? I hate it!
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2003-08-06, 22:07 »

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-q3a.php

try grabbing these and follow the instructions on the page. Lemme know if it helps out at all.

Actually, in ET I did have one issue with PB where I had to go download the client updates manually. I went to this site, got the PB updates, put them in the right place and it's been smooth sailing from then on.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-08-06, 23:04 »

:angry: I'm sorry, but any server for a game that requires me to go to a third-party site to find and download something manually is just plain not cool, especially considering it only catches 70% of the cheats out there. Add to that the fact that it does indeed crash q3 on occasion, and you have a recipe for a very, very unhappy angst.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2003-08-07, 04:17 »

only 70%? Pardon the language, but that's a shitload of cheats, considering the number of players that have played quake3 who have tried to cheat (which is a LOT of people, I know).

Just try it. Punkbuster was demanded by a bulk of the community and most of the community (remaining) uses it.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2003-08-07, 05:35 »

I'd hardly say "most" remaining use it, how about ALL?  It's not like we have a CHOICE in the matter now is it?  How many people stopped playing Q3 because of all this?  As far as everyone DEMANDING punkbuster I find that hard to believe.  Everyone according to whom?  Everyone I talk to hates it.  Who is this "everybody" you're speaking of here?  Is it everyone according to Evenbalance?  I don't see any reason why I should believe that myself, if that's the case.  I'd kind of expect them to pimp their own stuff.  That's akin to Microsoft saying everyone loves windows!  I say can the hype and deal with reality.  As for "community," most game players just play.  They don't frequent message boards or development sites.  They usually don't give a flying leap at a rolling donut what goes on behind the scenes as long as it works, they play, and they stay happy doing so.  The percentage that DOES take part and is active in discussion really represents a much smaller part of the community than you'd think.

The facts are that if something annoys people, causes problems, or interferes with the game being fun people WILL find something else to play.  If you want proof just consider the fact that there are far less Q3 players than CS players.  Funny that so many people are more willing to put up with rampant cheating in an otherwise mediocre mod versus invasive anti-cheat features in a commercial game.  If you want to deal only with majority opinions there you have it.  What's worse, the occasional bot llama or a lack of populated servers due to buggy anticheat software pissing people off?  Rampant cheating IS a problem and should be prevented or at least countered, but this is not the way to do it.  It's been handled better in the past.  I still say it can and should be done better now and in the future.

As for model preferences, I said "I could even live with that if I didn't have to go download some stupid program just to play."  I request that if someone's going to accuse me of whining that they at least read my post all the way before doing so.  <_<
« Last Edit: 2003-08-07, 05:37 by Phoenix » Logged

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-08-07, 08:32 »

allright Phoenix, this time I'll dig into the meat of your message.

This tremendous demand began to surface in the Quake3 community about... 2 or 3 years ago, towards the peak of Quake3's success when it seemed like players were gaining godly reflexes and intuition overnight, especially in competitive communities like OSP, Rocket Arena 3, (insert CTF mod here - Classic, WFA, TF, etc.) and others. After watching numerous demos, it was very clear that exploits were running rampant. When I helped run a chain of RA3 servers, I checked into players' authenticity and reviewed demos daily, watching out for suspicous activities like tracking through walls and lightning guns following a player exactly, even though they're out of range. Many, many players were frustrated, especially when server and gaming ladder admins began blacklisting players and clans for suspected/proven signs of foul play. Every server eventually enabled 'sv_pure 1', which got rid of a big bulk of problems, such as nosepaks that anyone could make if they knew the slighest bit about modeling (which was a MAJOR problem in Rocket Arena 2, yet it went undetected for a very long time). Then came along the infamous driver hack, which would turn walls transparent for anyone using the driver. What could anyone do about this problem? Sure, we could file complaints to the driver manufacturer and get them to pull it from the web. We could also ban players we catch peering through walls with their "x-ray vision". Many of the cheaters we see are inept players, so they're easy to detect. However, what about the players who are skilled, and can hide their advantage very well? This raised an eyebrow throughout the competitive Quake player community, and everyone who did well was suspected of having some sort of edge other than natural & learned skill. Then came along the variable exploits, such as having an extremely high r_picmip, r_gamma, r_intensity, r_overbrightbits and many others that would make players seem to GLOW, begging to be targeted and shot. What could be done about these people? Abseloutely nothing at the time, so it was acceptable for people to do it, and many people jumped on this fact. Then there came the other variable exploits, like r_shownormals and r_showtris. What could be done about these people? Abselouely nothing, unless they get caught by another player. The list of tweaks possible for Quake 3 could be another 10 sentances and not be done with, such as people who faked their pings to servers by jacking up their cl_maxpackets to a huge amount, just so they could play on a server of their team's choice. What could be done about these exploits? Not much, so it became the norm for people to do them. By this time (the era where a steep drop in Quake 3 popularity began... I'd say sometime in 2001), a good chunk of honorable players vowed never to return to Quake 3 until something was done about these exploits. Ladders were losing players at an incredible rate. Aged clans were disbanding. Quake 3 was turning into a game not based upon skill, but who could have the most tweaked-out config. The players who remained knew that anyone could be a hack or tweaked-out, but they decided to stay for the fun of it. This lasted for a few months, where there was some peace in the Quake 3 community. Then came the boom of the aimbots, which made every good player, new or seasoned a suspect. At this time, another big chunk of the Quake 3 community left because the game was no fun anymore. All of the suspicions hanging in the back of everyone's minds of eachother cheating in one way or another killed much of the game's competitive feeling. Afterwards, most all of the payers that remained were either extremely good and have proven it at LAN parties, tweakers, exploiters, aimbotters, newbies and players who only played out of habit.

Phoenix, this "everybody" that I speak of isn't some fabrication I pulled out of a hat. They were the honest, dedicated players that populated many Quake 3 servers so many years ago and have left Quake 3 because of one or more of the complications I talked about above. Most of them moved onto other games like CS, RTCW, UT, (insert MMORPG), Starcraft and many other games because they were much more fun than what Quake 3 had become. Some quit gaming competely because of this. The few of them that remained active in the Quake 3 community demanded that something be done about the exploits and hacks which had Quake3 in a stanglehold, almost compeltely choking it to death. That something was Punkbuster, which only fairly recently has been implemented into Quake 3. After a few months where the folks at evenbalance were gathering data on what were exploits and different methods of hacking Quake 3, they began purging servers like crazy. Yes, it is true that when PunkBuster first came out and put on servers, aimbots and wallhacks were still as fully functional as ever. Fortunately for the honest players that still played, that period didn't last too long. The banning and blacklisting of many, many illigetimate players followed the months to come, and the Quake3 community cheered. That's why it is a norm to have PunkBuster enabled - it does work to a large extent, much larger than what you're giving it credit for.

This "annoyance" you label PunkBuster is by far more acceptabe to me than the raging inferno Quake 3 players had to deal with a year or more back. It makes me upset that after PunkBuster saved the remnants of Quake 3 community, you spit in its face. I'd suggest to all of you to search for ways to make PunkBuster work for you, whether you're a client or a server admin. The community did request it for a very long time, and now we should put effort into making this gift, by the gaming community, for the gaming community,  work.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2003-08-07, 08:56 »

As I stated before, I am not against the removal of cheaters.  I HATE CHEATERS.  Ok?  What I request is that the thing work right and be non-invasive.  It does NOT work right, and it IS invasive.  If I can't play Q3 without my computer connected to the @!#@!# internet then it DOES NOT WORK.  In the past when I was still in modem land I'd get kicked for bad packet responses, and it was so wonderful when punkbuster updated and conveniently forgot to download a file, causing a kick off the server after 30 seconds with me not knowing why.  The solution required me downloading a file MANUALLY.  Buggy behavior infuriates me.  I've spent more hours fixing bugs in program code than most people spend playing actual games, so forgive me if I'm a bit testy with people releasing crap that doesn't work right.  That is why I do not like it, period, end of story.

We also seem to have a difference of opinion on who the "community" is as well.  I'm speaking from the viewpoint of Joe Average Gamer.  I'll be frank, I don't care squat about the "pro" or "competitive" ladders of gameplay.  I've found time and time again an elitist mentality among so-called "pro" gamers that look down upon the general, casual gamer.  If the pro crowd and hardcore gamers demand an anti-cheat that's fine, but screwing over the casual gamers in the process is not the answer.  Most casual gamers I've spoken to have been frustrated with Punkbuster's performance problems and quirks.  When a modem gamer dies because the program lags them out during a query that tells me that modem gamers were NOT well considered in the development process.  I've gone out of my way to make Gen as modem friendly as possible because I spent years on a modem and realize not everyone is fortunate enough to have cable or DSL.  I would expect anyone writing code for a game to show at LEAST a little consideration there, instead of writing a group of users off just because of their connection.

Unlike you I don't see Punkbuster as "THE" solution.  I see it as just one of many competing anti-cheat measures, except now gamers no longer have a choice in the matter, nor do server admins, except to run it, or turn it off.  I am not satisfied with it, and no amount of ranting will ever make me like it.  You're welcome to worship it if you like, but just don't expect everyone else to share your opinion of it.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: