2024-03-28, 12:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you could go back in time...  (Read 16686 times)
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2007-08-10, 12:42 »

It appears that I'm the only one who seems to wish simply to observe significant events rather than attempting to change the past.

I had to make a lot of difficult decisions when I was younger.  Some of those decisions I regret and others I'm fiercely proud of.  I would not be who I am today without those decisions, but part of me questions if what I am today is better than what I could have been...

What if my family never moved to FL?  What if my mother and father did get divorced?  What if I had been arrested that day?  What if I never moved to AZ?

Questions like these resurface from time-to-time and gnaw away at my self-worth.  The resulting desire to have greater control over my own fate leads to whimsical musings such as altering past events.

The desire to tease Earth's greatest tyrants solely stems from my sense of humor however.  I have the ability to travel through space and time, yet I chose to appear before Adolph Hitler during the height of the Third Reich's power, inform him that he's a lousy painter, and disappear just as suddenly.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2007-08-10, 15:09 »

No no, you must tweak his nose and bounce around like Daffy Duck and whack him on the head with a wooden mallet first!  Slipgate - Tongue

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #22 on: 2007-08-12, 23:21 »

I'd rather not go back in time, lest the whole history as we know it gets royally sporked up the butt. Slipgate - WTF
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2007-08-13, 02:34 »

You're implying that it somehow isn't already.

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #24 on: 2007-08-13, 08:42 »

That's a pretty good point... How the hell would someone know if someone has screwed around by going into the past and sporking things up?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2007-08-13, 15:12 »

That brings us back into discussions about temporal paradox and the "butterfly" effect, but in short, were such a thing possible, you wouldn't know unless someone had record of the appearances of some kind of time machine or other anomaly.  It's been speculated by some in the UFO circuits that UFO's are not extra-terrestrials but instead time travelers from the future and are, in fact, the "evidences" of this very thing happening.  Make of that whatever you will.

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #26 on: 2007-08-13, 15:37 »

No, that's not what I was implying. It's already pretty screwed up, the last thing I'd want is it to get screwed up even more.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #27 on: 2007-08-13, 15:55 »

No, that's not what I was implying. It's already pretty screwed up, the last thing I'd want is it to get screwed up even more.

Yeah, It'd be pretty awkward to go back in time, mess things up and then come back, only to find out that the orifice that you use to get rid of waste is the same one you use to talk...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2007-08-14, 01:13 »

A lot of people do that already, too.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #29 on: 2007-08-14, 02:23 »

That brings us back into discussions about temporal paradox and the "butterfly" effect, but in short, were such a thing possible, you wouldn't know unless someone had record of the appearances of some kind of time machine or other anomaly.  It's been speculated by some in the UFO circuits that UFO's are not extra-terrestrials but instead time travelers from the future and are, in fact, the "evidences" of this very thing happening.  Make of that whatever you will.

"No one goes home, no one else comes through. It's just him and me."

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #30 on: 2007-08-14, 23:07 »

what about the whole black hole theory, or the wormhole theory

surely even they conform to the second law of thermodynamics, which would Mean that time-travel would be possible

just not very likely

as the probablity of finding a wormhole that's usable would be very tricky indeed
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2007-08-15, 01:50 »

Well... like I said, that would lead to a lengthy discussion on temporal mechanics - something I don't want to get into.  Let's just say for the sake of this thread you can go back and do what you like without creating a paradox or violating any laws of physics.  It is, after all, a purely hypothetical scenario.

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #32 on: 2007-08-15, 17:23 »

Fair Enough as getting into a discussion about temporal mechanics would probably make some peoples head explode

Slipgate - Thumbs up!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: