2024-03-28, 09:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wirehead IRC channel  (Read 28015 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2007-08-11, 03:47 »

Just a reminder, we have an IRC channel that's up 24/7.  Anyone looking for a game or just wanting to chat in general is invited to drop in, chat, and idle:

Server:  irc.wireheadstudios.net
East Coast:  east.wireheadstudios.net
West Coast:  west.wireheadstudios.net

Channel:  #wirehead

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2007-08-20, 19:45 »

So why aren't you all idling in IRC?  You realize you have a better chance of catching passing development talk or getting in a game, right?

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2007-08-20, 21:40 »

I only go there when I really feel like talking or playing Gen. Actually, last Saturday (I think), I caught Tabun working on Earth's Green Armour. I wonder how it looks...

Dr Sean

Ogre

« Reply #3 on: 2007-08-22, 22:25 »

Sorry if I seem ignorant,  Slipgate - Confused
But how do i get to the IRC channel? Do I use this website: 
http://www.wireheadstudios.org/irc/cgi-bin/irc.cgi
Or is there some other way to get there that I am unaware of?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2007-08-22, 22:44 »

You can use any IRC client (IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, and is indicative of the protocol, kind of like HTTP or FTP stands for the protocol of communication used) to access our chat channel. Examples of popular IRC clients are mIRC or BitchX,  or Xchat, but there are many more. Each has their own interface and you'll need to check the manual to see how it works, but they all work basically the same:

1. you connect to an IRC network (for wirehead chatting, connect to "irc.wireheadstudios.net", for instance)
2. join a channel (for wirehead chatting, that would be "#wirehead")

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Dr Sean

Ogre

« Reply #5 on: 2007-08-22, 22:46 »

Thank you sir.

-I got Xchat and it says: Connection failed. Error: An establised connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
« Last Edit: 2007-08-22, 23:02 by Dr Sean » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2007-08-22, 23:13 »

Looks like you've got a firewall of some sort running? Or, if you're connecting through a local network, perhaps your gateway router/computer is blocking connections on IRC ports?

Dr Sean

Ogre

« Reply #7 on: 2007-08-22, 23:26 »

Yeah, Im on a LAN connection, thats probably it, I'll look into it.

-...It says that it is allowed, do you think it could be somthing else?
« Last Edit: 2007-08-22, 23:31 by Dr Sean » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2007-08-23, 00:57 »

I'm not familiar with xchat, so I don't know when it shows the error, but it looks to me like a standard connectivity problem. "aborted by .. host machine" could be entirely correct, in which case it's some kind of local software firewall (say the windows XP firewall), or it could be an incorrect 'guess' and something else is amiss. It's hard to say, but seeing as you can read this site just fine, my guess is that somehow either IRC ports and/or your IRC client are blocked.

An annoying 'bug' with some firewalls (for instance, my Zyxxel router's hardware firewall and Symantec Client Security's firewall) is that, even when ports and software are shown to be allowed to pass, they are in fact still blocked. I'm not saying that that's what I expect to be the case here, but just demonstrating how frustratingly difficult it can be to find the precise cause of connection blockage.

If I'd find myself in your position, I'd (temporarily!) turn off all firewalls and safety catches, test the connection then, and (if it works) re-enable everything, while checking connectivity at every step. Kind of like brute-force debugging. ;] Before that, however, I'd try a different IRC client, just to be sure it's not a weird bug..

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2007-08-23, 02:22 »

Don't use the old Wirehead cgi-irc.  You can connect in but as soon as you type we'll see a disconnect message.  You won't see it on your end, it will just look like nothing is happening.  The cgi:irc interface was broken a long time ago by some kind of server code update and the fellow that knows how it worked is not available for contact at present.  I doubt it will ever be fixed, so using mIRC or Xchat is the way to go.

I would certainly check the Windows Firewall or any other "protection" measures on your machine to see if they interfere with IRC.  Also, are you connecting in from a university or a residence?  I know some universities block the ports needed to connect via IRC.  Usually you need port 6667 and I think port 6668.  DCC file transfers are more tricky but as long as your computer can connect out on those two ports you should be able to connect for chat.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2007-09-26, 15:22 »

The irc network is experiencing some problems at the moment.  You might be able to get on using the following:

/server irc.wireheadstudios.com

I'll let you know when things are working smoothly again.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2007-09-27, 01:09 »

IRC network is working properly again.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2010-04-24, 01:19 »

The Wirehead IRC server is kaput.  We'll be looking at an alternative IRC option.  For now, we have a channel on irc.enterthegame.com channel #wirehead.

Xypher
Carbon-based Homosapien with an affinity for c++

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #13 on: 2010-05-18, 02:50 »

Is it supposed to be devoid of life?

Sliders
Uptime: Yes!
Last Idle: 6 Years

http://hellbat.mine.nu
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2010-05-18, 09:31 »

Right now... pretty much.  I've not taken the time to transition Idlebot over or reg the channel, and all the usual idlers probably haven't read this message board.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2010-05-18, 12:39 »

I have to start saving big on my energy bills, so I'm turning my PC off at night. Also, my old server at my parent's place has died on me, so for a while there will be no clients for me on #wirehead at night (in Europe). I hope to have Tabbot back up soon, ofcourse..

Xypher
Carbon-based Homosapien with an affinity for c++

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #16 on: 2010-08-09, 21:54 »

Linux server, barely being used. If you want SSH access I can set you up an account.

hellbat.mine.nu

Sliders
Uptime: Yes!
Last Idle: 6 Years

http://hellbat.mine.nu
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: