2024-04-26, 15:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 4  (Read 27824 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2007-08-23, 11:42 »

Think of the early days of Technicolor, or the introduction of colour TV's. The combination of a novelty and the disappearance of limitations with it inspires a 'because we can'-type of reasoning in making design choices. People bought TV's with colour saturation turned up to the maximum and kept it there, never mind that those red lips were much more red than the real thing. It took a long while before new monochromatic movies were accepted as being so by design/choice, rather than by a lack of funds -- you were going to make a serious moving picture? It was going to be in colour. Ofcourse, after the novelty wore off, people sort of regained their grip on normality, and saturation was toned down and more subtle colours seemed to be allowed to predominate on even mainstream movie's sets.

Hence my conviction that the engine change, in this case, might have been enough to result in a rainbow-coloured game. 32-bit coloured textures is pretty much the Technicolor of the gaming industry.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2007-08-23, 16:06 »

I've always liked the appearance of movies and cartoons filmed in Technicolor.  I'm pretty much into eye candy when it comes to colors.  I like bold colors, high contrasts, and stark color differences.  That's a big part of why I preferred the visual style of Doom to Quake 1.  Quake 1 is more muted, and there's less contrast.  "Dimness" in anything visual this bird does not like.  Grey skies and dull dreary days can throw me into fits of depression.  Let the sun shine brightly, even if it's white snow on the ground and cold, and I'll be in much better spirits.  That's one of the things that drew me to video games in the first place is the bright primary colors and melodic tones used in the old synthesizers of the day.  That's not to say I like all uses of bright color.  Pimp just doesn't do it for me, nor does Hippie.  Slipgate - Distraught

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #22 on: 2007-08-23, 22:26 »

Grey skies and dull dreary days can throw me into fits of depression.  Let the sun shine brightly, even if it's white snow on the ground and cold, and I'll be in much better spirits.

Bright sunny days and hot weather isn't my thing. I actually prefer rainy days and grey skies.. thunder/lightning storms are even better. I love talking walks in such weather.. seems uplifting to me, both because of the weather itself, and that I know most other people don't like it (seems to make me enjoy it that much more). I even prefer the moon over the sun.. just too bad street lights block out the awesomeness of moonlight. I've never seen the town more beautiful than during a blackout at night, lit only by the moon.

*cough* Anyway.. I couldn't resist posting my opposite preference. Sorry for the 'off-topic'-ness.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2007-08-24, 01:58 »

Is alright.  I like thunderstorms myself.  The spectacle of ominous dark clouds with flashes of lightning is a beautiful sight to me.  I sleep very soundly through them and find them quite relaxing once the rain starts - so long as I'm content in my nice warm nest and not stuck out in the deluge.  I just dislike constant grey skies, and fog I cannot abide at all.  Turbulent storms that arrive, rain profusely, and depart in the same day I do not mind.

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #24 on: 2007-08-28, 15:18 »

regarding Quake 3 A 2 i hope that there is more of a gen feel to it and not just q3a with D3 and q4 weapons added

as for D4 i'm not looking forward to it D3 ruined the doom series for me and RoE was a hideous HL2 Styled Expansion

as for rage i'll wait and see
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #25 on: 2007-09-27, 15:31 »

For anyone looking for new Q1 stuff there is this  mod It's kinda neat, a few too many "earthquake" events but I think it does a good job of replicating Q1 on the D3 engine.

http://doom3.levels4you.com/downloads.l4y?review=16099&cat=199
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #26 on: 2007-09-27, 17:48 »

Yeah that mod is good. Shame it's only one level, although apparently there's a sequel in the works. Music was a bit cock-rock for my taste, though, so rather than turn it off I replaced the .OGG file with some old-skool NIN goodness. Can't beat it. Slipgate - Thumbs up!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« Reply #27 on: 2007-10-30, 22:47 »

I hope that doom 4 will be like the Classic Doom's, since Doom was never intended to be a scary game... It was more like "DIEDIIDEIDEIIDIEDIEIDIEDIQJDU<LVGDALYDFILSAHGFOASDHVFHDSU?LOL" kind of gameplay.

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2007-10-31, 00:13 »

Doom was an action game, no mistake, but it was supposed to have some scary elements to it, or at least, some unnerving components.  Who can forget the twitching bodies hanging from the chains, corpses of slain marines, and otherworldly architecture?  How about the first time one of those nearly invisible specters mauled your face?  Or when the doors came open and the Barons of Hell roared, marched forward, and after a dozen shotgun blasts, or a few rockets, just would not die?

First time I met the cyberdemon, I'll admit I was startled.  I play on Ultra Violence, naturally, so when I see the flying skulls out through the door I let off a rocket to blow the first one up.  So I hear a maximum volume ROAR, followed by this quite loud mechanical stomping noise.  I turned to gather some rockets then BOOM!  BOOM!  SCREEN GOES RED AND I'M TOAST!  I never saw what shot me.  Apparently I chose one of the two rooms near where the cyber is spawned, and he walked along the wall, and decided to shoot me in the back.  The second go-round with the cyber I was watching for him, and when I saw him I thought, "Oh, it's just a big demon with a rocket launcher for an arm."

So there you go, first time I played the registered version of Doom I got a bit of a fright.  Tis what I get for using loud volume and not covering my exits.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #29 on: 2007-10-31, 00:55 »

I remember my first encounter with ol' Cyber-chops. Two rockets up the jacksie and I was on the deck, staring at something in the distance, allthough old-skool Doom's limited resolution prevented me from seeing exactly what it was, other than it was BIG. The feeling of unease was furthered by the level's ace custom animated flaming background. Thing is, the PSX version also lobbed in a couple of Mancubii on that level  (great fior in-fighting). Slipgate - Ninja

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #30 on: 2007-10-31, 01:38 »

Yeah, Doom has a high speed but not for running and cowering in the shadows.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2007-10-31, 02:53 »

I've never cowered in shadows in Doom, nor Doom 3.  Demons tend to do that in Doom 3.  I just wait for them to come into the light, then blast them, or else lob a grenade into the dark places.  The exception is security zombies and chaingun commandos.  Those I'll attack from behind cover, and I'll use rockets on the chaingunners.  Tentacle commandos I found an evasive maneuver that's quite effective and allows me to execute a point blank chainsaw or shotgun attack to the head while avoiding damage completely.

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #32 on: 2007-10-31, 21:03 »

DooM was full of scary stuff, so D4 will probably be as scary as D3.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #33 on: 2007-11-01, 00:46 »

Tentacle commandos I found an evasive maneuver that's quite effective and allows me to execute a point blank chainsaw or shotgun attack to the head while avoiding damage completely.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #34 on: 2007-11-01, 01:15 »

I think part of D3's non-DooM-ishness can be blamed on the lack of corpse decorations, like the writhing upside-down guy with his ribcage torn open.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2007-11-01, 01:26 »

That and vanishing corpses.  I HATE vanishing corpses in games.  Half of Doom's mood was having dead people and monsters all over the place.  I realize there were engine limits, but please... let's bring back persistent corpses and gibs.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2007-11-01, 03:25 »

Aye. The one good time to study a model/skin's features is when a monster has finally stopped moving. Instead, I get to see a cheap-assed shader effect briefly, then nothing. Thankfully there are mods to change that..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #37 on: 2007-11-25, 22:22 »

I miss the games where they were run and gun. Now they are objective driven where you usually have a few stupid AI bots you have to keep alive or you have to start all over again  Banging Head against Wall . It drives me nuts sometimes. Especially with Quake 4. I want something a bit more old school with kick ass graphics and rocking music. I'd take just looking for keys to get to a new area over keeping bots alive any day. I doubt we will get that again.

I just couldn't help this when I saw Classic DooM brought up  Doom - Love . For a long time I helped beta test CDooM with Flaming Sheep. That was a lot of fun and got tons of screen shots in my time with them. I guess I can't get shot for showing one now lol.

The music Sonic Clang came up with was awesome. I wish DooM 3 was like that to begin with  Doom - Love .

My bad if that was a bit off-topic. Been dying to show off some of those shots lol.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2007-11-26, 01:54 »

The strange thing is, run and gun is no longer acceptable for first-person shooters, despite the fact that FPS is inherently run and gun.  The idea is that everyone wants something more, so more is added - PDA's for storyline, or NPC's, vehicles, etc.  "Find key, open door" is replaced by "fulfill objective, advance to the next area", which is just FKOD with more visual glitz.  What's the difference between shutting down the pumping station so you can divert power to the Phobos Labs teleporter in Resurrection of Evil and flipping a wall switch to raise a set of stairs in Doom?  One just looks more plausible as a real goal than the other, but effectively it's the same thing.  Let's consider a few of the latest gimmicks in FPS games and see how innovative they really are.

Vehicles - First saw them in Shadow Warrior best I can remember - 2.5D sprite-based shooter.
NPC's - Napalm/Nam had them, Doom engine (I have a copy but never got around to playing it).
Realistic physics - Tresspasser had it long before Doom 3 or Half-Life 2.
Skeletal animations - Tresspasser also had these before Doom 3 or Half-Life 2.
Objective/Mission based play - Quake 2 introduced this.
Scripted actions - Half-Life introduced this, along with Unreal.
Cinematic cutscenes - Wing Commander series introduced this.

So what's really new about what's in the newer FPS games?  Best I can tell it's using everything all at once, bumping up the visual detail, etc.  You have the basic FPS play, but all this extra stuff thrown in like light and shadow, vehicles, rag doll, objectives, cut scenes, etc.  The extra stuff complicates and expands the game, which may or may not be a good thing depending on how the player sees it.  Serious Sam is the only game that has moved away from this trend, but I think it went TOO far in the opposite direction.  I've not played Serious Sam 2.  From the screenshots I saw, it looked like it went a bit on the silly side - even more so than the Second Encounter - and I'd prefer something a bit more, well, serious.
Slipgate - Tongue

Kajet

Vadrigar

« Reply #39 on: 2007-11-26, 02:09 »

Serious Sam 2 is rather silly in a number of cut scenes/secrets, IF i remember right, it seems like I had trouble with FMVs...

but the problem is even though there is some element of run & gun in recent games it's rather watered down, not enough enemies due to hardware limitations (? dunno, RE4 had rather large amounts of things to kill) then again... nah, FEAR needed a few more enemies
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: