2024-04-25, 19:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cistern (Quake's DM5)  (Read 21745 times)
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« on: 2007-09-09, 11:06 »

Not sure how well this will go.. but seeing Tab's map progress gave me the inspiration I needed to start up and try my hand at mapping again. I was trying to think of ideas and maps.. and I think I came up with a pretty good one for the ol' DM5 map from Q1 (The Cistern).

----------------------------------------------------------
Main Entry: cis?tern
Pronunciation: 'sis-t&rn
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin cisterna, from cista box, chest
1 : an artificial reservoir (as an underground tank) for storing liquids and especially water
----------------------------------------------------------

I never knew what 'cistern' meant to tell the truth, so the definition of the word helped with inspiration as well. I might run into problems later due to Q3's limited selection of textures and shaders (mostly these).. but I'll deal with those when I come across them.

I also plan on going slow.. which is probably a given since I'm not an overly skilled mapper. The detail may or may not be limited, depending on the direction I take.. which will be area to area. I am hoping there will at least be enough to make things seem less bland. But ideas keep popping into my head, which is a good thing.

I have one room done, after a lot of testing with different textures (q3 default).. trying to find a decent combination.. and tweaking the details a bit, adding minor things as they come to mind, etc. Doing so provided me with some ideas for the rest of the map.

I'm optimistic as to how it will turn out when compared to the original map.. but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. My last attempt at mapping might be a good indicator as to what will happen with this one.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-09, 11:25 »

Slipgate - Smile nice to see the mapping live here again, and i hope to see some progress from u soon (spawn) thomas mink (why all these nick changes...)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-09, 14:52 »

The Bad Place came out pretty good, so I'm confident you'll do a good job on The Cistern.  We could use some more classic DM maps and it would be a welcome addition.  DISCHARGE TIME!!!  Slipgate - Ninja

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-09, 15:45 »

The Bad Place is an awesome remake, so I'm sure this'll be as good as the bad place is.
Also, take your time. I don't think anyone here wants an incomplete map.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-10, 21:08 »

The original 'The Bad Place' was my overall favorite DM map from all the FPS games I've played up to that point (and it still ranks up there). That being said.. I wanted it to come out 'perfect' when I was making it. I even went so far as to upgrade and slightly alter the map as time went on.. I'm sure some of you remember that horrendous first version. I've said it before, but it's probably a good thing that Radiant decided to stop loading the .map file after a while.. otherwise I'd probably still alter and change it in places..

And Lord knows I want to.. watching demos and looking at screenshots taken at certain angles irk me at times. When I was making that map, I didn't know about the 'find/replace' feature for changing textures. So when I updated the textures from the first version.. I did them ALL manually.. every visible face of every brush.. except for the few I missed. It was a very long and annoying process, and it turns out that it wasn't too efficient either.

Gameplay wise, I think I accomplished my goal.. and lighting.. I like the lighting. But if I could still alter the map.. I'd fix the textures.. and I'd add clip brushes to the all the holes and dips in the floor (ever notice how the bots either run down the middle, or keep to the edges?). But.. learn and move on, I guess.

As for The Cistern.. progress is slow.. very slow actually. But progress is progress. A lot of trial and error with a stairway mostly.. making a basic and temporary hallway.. and some trial and error with a small archway. Due to the design of the map, screenshots might be a ways off yet to be of any use.. if they even come at all.
« Last Edit: 2007-09-10, 21:17 by Thomas Mink » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #5 on: 2007-09-10, 21:10 »

errr.. wow.. double posted. that was weird..

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2007-09-10, 23:58 »

Bots have a tendency to walk in straight lines anyway unless they're fighting each other at close range.  That's why they're much easier railgun targets than live players... well some players anyway.  I seem to have some kind of magnetic attraction to depleted uranium.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #7 on: 2007-09-22, 01:51 »

Well progress has been almost nothing for just about the last week due to the release of the TF2 beta.. but I do plan on picking this back up.

For those curious as to what is actually done... the Megahealth room is done.. the stairs going up from there are done.. the teleporter room up there is mostly done save for the random details I want to add to it.

And uhhhh.. that's it.

Note that 'done' is used figuratively.. since, it's not really. Weapon/health/ammo/armor placement isn't even started yet and lighting is only temporary. Screenshots are still far from being acceptable since I have temporary walls and ceilings in places where walkways and big open areas will eventually be.

Anyway.. just keeping things updated. At this rate.. it'll be a long while, but.. I'm content with that. Tho it might be a long while for a subpar map. Use my logic: Expect the worst.. then it might be a bit surprising. Slipgate - Smile

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2007-09-26, 05:16 »

Despite my lack of any major work, I have done a few things as far as detail goes (in the teleporter room).

I've also found that screenshots are possible if I avoid the big picture and focus on the smaller things (room to room, pretty much). Guess it also helps that I started in a section of the map where it's a bit more possible.

----------
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/V...ladven/Quake3/The%20Cistern/shot0007.jpg
The MegaHealth and Rocket Launcher room in the original map. I've found that windows are somewhat hard to accomplish.. unless I'm missing something (which is likely). The one on the ceiling looks up to show that that section of the map happens to be under water. Instead of ugly ceiling supports, I turned them into pipes (pretty much the idea I got after reading the definition of cistern).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/V...ladven/Quake3/The%20Cistern/shot0006.jpg
A basic and kind of ugly doorway with nothing fancy around it. It kind of disturbs me because of that..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/V...ladven/Quake3/The%20Cistern/shot0009.jpg
Basic stairway that was actually annoying to make because of the angled floor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/V...ladven/Quake3/The%20Cistern/shot0010.jpg
Pretty much where I am now. I need to dig up my teleporter texture and plop it into the frame seen in the center.. tho that whole teleporter bugs me, even in the original map. It's just kind of floating there without any real reason. Need to think of an idea to make it more logical.
(EDIT: After fixing the texture misalignment seen in this picture, the skull texture looks a bit better.. tho it still might change if I find something better)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/V...ladven/Quake3/The%20Cistern/shot0011.jpg
Another perspective of the same room. Another window showing water above. The pipes need some more work because, as they are now, they're just sitting there. I need to add some support for them and kind of make them seem more like part of the design. If I can't get them to look right, the ones running along the floor will get removed. The skull texture going around the room will also likely change because it just bugs me.. mostly because it doesn't end perfectly.
----------

The brown brick texture is something I'm a bit pessimistic about.. but.. we'll see how it goes. The texture used for the pipes is a bit basic, but it's ok for what it's used for. The water.. I wish was a bit more.. 'dirty', I guess you could say.. like the ugly looking q1 water. Right now it's clean and clear.

Progress will likely keep to the snail's pace I'm going at now.. but, like I said before.. at least it's progress.

Anyway.. questions, comments, critiques, and suggestions are welcome. Flames will be ignored. If you see something I should be doing that I'm not.. better to tell me now.
« Last Edit: 2007-09-26, 05:26 by Thomas Mink » Logged

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #9 on: 2007-09-26, 08:46 »

You are right about that door, there's something about that door that doesn't feel right. Also, will you be using that ceiling texture in the entire map? It looks a bit plain, IMO. Maybe it's because of the lighting of the map (it's blinding me! But, then again, you're still making the map).

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2007-09-26, 09:14 »

More correctly there is no lightmap at all so of cuz the map looks bright Slipgate - Smile
Well the basics of the maps is shaped, but its rly hard to say anything about it in the current stage until you've started to add abit more details. However im not sure about the brick texture, maybe if you use it as a trim texture.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2007-09-26, 09:48 »

Why not use curves to improve the looks of the doorway? That's pretty much what they were designed for (both the doors and curves).. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2007-09-26, 15:16 »

I think some lighting and shadow can help with the door area too.  I see torch decorations on either side.  Right now the fullbright look makes things kind of plain.  Maybe detail that area after there's some lighting?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2007-09-26, 16:06 »

Being the amateur mapper that I am, I would still advise strongly against that approach. Lighting helps a huge deal in making rooms look good, but it's also harder to judge what's lacking in terms of brushwork/detail once lighting is in place. It makes for lazy mappage, so to speak. Or so it turns out for me--perhaps in your case it's better to take Pho's advice, but there's my two cents, anyway.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2007-09-26, 17:41 »

I tend to do lights once im somewhat done with the details, its easier to light something when most brushes are placed where they should be Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2007-09-26, 21:42 »

With models there's usually one or two point lights in the scene to give me a good idea how the model geometry will light and shadow.  That's just how I'm used to working.  I can understand how mapping could be a lot different there.  Mapping is still like voodoo to me, but I do agree that door needs something.  Maybe if it had a Quake door texture on it?

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #16 on: 2007-09-26, 21:51 »

Lop: I royally hate the ceiling texture, myself. I forgot to list it when I was talking about textures. Good q3 ceiling textures are pretty much nonexistent tho.. and every texture seen is default q3. And Reb was correct about the lighting not even being started yet.. so the whole map is fullbright and washed out.

Reb: I'm still skeptical of the brick texture myself.. but the original map was all brick, albeit yellow. I personally hate yellow, so I went with brown. I wanted to use something different than the basic textures I used on my previous maps (the first version of q1dm4v2 and q1e3m7v2). You know.. the cathedral block texture or whatever. Finding good textures, and a good combo of them, isn't really a strong point of mine.. probably my weakest actually. I'll roll with the bricks until I decide they suck and have to go through hell changing it later.

Tab: I was thinking about that myself.. but curves alone won't help the doorway. Or.. I could be wrong. I'll add them in later and see what happens.

Pho: Good lighting can help any map look better. With my previous mapping attempts, I did the lighting room by room. With this one, I plan on waiting until I finish the overall geometry and detail because it's really my first attempt at mapping that's going to incorporate at least a few details.. not just flat walls (still mostly flat tho.. lawlz).. and they might change or more get added in. Altho the screenshots of the areas now don't suggest that. The floor of the one does tho. The torches are in place where they were in the original map.. tho I'm not sure if I like them. I might replace them with wall lamps.

Tab & Reb: A couple years ago, I wouldn't have agreed.. but I do now. Lighting will probably come near the end.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2007-09-26, 21:53 »

With skinning however, it's important not to have lights in the scene. It's kind of odd that way: on the one hand lighting helps see shading and brush shape potential, on the other it obscures choice of texture and hides bad brushwork from view or attention. Ofcourse, it does help that Radiant shows the map fullbright..

A better texture would help, but the brushwork is a little "flat" there, too, making the door look "unintentional" or "fake"-ish. More pronounced bevels or a pompous door frame might help give a more natural impression, architectonically.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2007-09-27, 00:23 »

Well imo that "egyptian" texture pack someone whom i dont rember the nick on created whould work quite well in this map. and no i have no links to it :S
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #19 on: 2007-09-27, 03:45 »

Well imo that "egyptian" texture pack someone whom i dont rember the nick on created whould work quite well in this map. and no i have no links to it :S

If I remember, someone already made a Cistern using the Egyptian themed textures. The map was a bit large tho (I'd even say overly huge). No idea who made it or what became of it.. but I do remember it somewhat.

That's a bit besides the point tho. My visioning of the map is far from Egyptian.. more of an odd gothicized industrial.. thing.. hence the pipes.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: