2024-03-29, 08:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake1 Map Sources released  (Read 18959 times)
Vorlonesque

Team Member
Pain Elemental

« on: 2006-11-02, 05:16 »

John Romero released the Q1 map sources (the .map files) on his website under the GPL...this happened in the middle of the month but I missed it somehow (it'd been in the works for a while now...dunno how I missed it).  I don't know if this would be useful...but it might be for Q1 map remakes in Q3.  I'm posting this here because I guess this would be the appropriate forum to post it in.  Anyway the maps can be found in a link on Romero's site (rome.ro) and the link is:

http://www.mediamax.com/theromero/Hosted/q..._map_source.zip
« Last Edit: 2007-07-21, 15:11 by Tabun » Logged
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-05, 19:17 »

Necro-bump!

Does anyone know of a program that would be able to convert these Quake1 .map files into something at least recognizable in Quake3? I was hoping to open them up in Radiant and play around with them a bit but all I get is:

Code:
no module found for map interface type "map"

Slipgate - Sad
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-05, 21:19 »

The problem is ~Va^^pyrA~ that you try to open the map in gtk radiant, gtk radiant does not support q1maps. However the old qeradiant do. Download the latest release of qeradiant, save the map and you should be able to open it in GTK radiant.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-05, 22:06 »

I'm using GTKRadiant 1.5.0, which does support Quake1. I have to choose that environment however. It won't let me save it as anything other than .map either. If I try to open it up under the Quake3/Team Arena environment, I get the error posted above.

I can't see to find the download links to QERadiant anywhere... It all leads me back to GTKRadiant's website. Slipgate - Disappointed
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-06, 14:00 »

Here you go ~Va^^pyrA~   http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11545

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-06, 15:25 »

Thanks, Arnie! I was having a difficult time tracking that down.

It seems to have done what I wanted. The map leaked and the textures are missing, but the geometry is there for comparison in GTKRadiant now!

Thanks gentlemen. Slipgate - Smile
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-06, 15:35 »

Nps i miss the qeradiant days, loved that editor, gtk radiant is..uh decent atleast.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-07, 00:54 »

I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the newest GTKRAdiant. The interface is a little goofy... looks like they tried to go for style over substance. Maybe I'm just trying to break old habits though? Slipgate - Tongue
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-07, 18:27 »

The new GTK Radiant has some really nice features, specially when it comes to scaling objects. However they removed the Z-window, but i guess they felt a need to use the "3dsmax" view.
Another thing that bugs me in the new gtk is that you can't vertex edit brushes the sameway you could in the older versions, which was very usefull for doing terrainbrushes...
So in my case i use the gtk 1.2 series along with the newest one for doing diffrent task, one thing to rember when using the old versions is to let brush primitives turned off.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #9 on: 2010-12-07, 18:36 »

I was wondering about the Z-window! I thought that my layout was just off. Slipgate - Tongue
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2010-12-08, 09:33 »

Nope unfortunate not.. Still wish there was a way to enable the z-window again but it's gone forever!
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #11 on: 2010-12-08, 11:20 »

After reading this thread I thought I would try out the new GTK but it keeps crashing on me.  Banging Head against Wall
qeradiant and GTK1.5 work fine although GTK needs win98 compatibility  mode Doom - Huh?

Win7
4gb ram
tried compatibilty modes, only NT modes can be used.

Any ideas?

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2010-12-08, 15:27 »

I run GTK 1.5 on a windows 7 64-bit computer without any problems. However you need to disable "Visual themes" in the compability tab on the executable for gtk.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #13 on: 2010-12-08, 16:04 »

Same here. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (x64). I did have to disable the visual themes for Radiant to properly display all of the working space however.
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #14 on: 2010-12-08, 18:18 »

Tried that still no go. This is what i'm using, GtkR-1.6.2-11282010.

The error I get is, (radiant.exe:2484): Pango-Warning **: Error Loading GPOS table 2833

then something about Document is empty in the games dir.

I noticed an install folder, do you have to install anything to the Quake3 folder?

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #15 on: 2010-12-08, 19:08 »

Downloaded another copy, installed and it works, sort off. I think I'll stick with 1.5.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2010-12-09, 09:42 »

Ahh havent used Zeroradiant 1.6 thought you used gtk 1.5 Slipgate - Smile
Will prolly give Zeroradiant a go and see if it works for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: