2024-04-25, 18:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colour Issues  (Read 5789 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« on: 2008-01-08, 23:32 »

This forum tends to be my first port of call for things like this for 2 reasons; y'all have helped me out with numerous things in the past and Google is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. So here goes:

I recently got myself an GF8800GT for my trusty comp and it's all good when it comes to running high-end games like Bioshock and GoW. However, when I dip into the back catalogue it all goes a bit awry. Games like our beloved Q3 and earlier seem to have a very limited colour palette - to the extent that it makes some games (particularly HL1) look like an oil painting. It affects darker areas mainly, and I've attached a shot of Reb's new map to demonstrate what I mean.

I don't know if this means anything, but the card doesn't actually have a DVI output, rather 2 high definition outputs, so I have to use adaptors for use on both my DVI monitor and my HDTV and they both look as bad as each other.

Any help will be much appreciated.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-09, 01:22 »

The pic was very dark, but after gamma correcting it I see what you mean.  For the record, Q3 supports full 32-bit color.  Check your desktop color depth.  If you're running at 16-bit desktop color, it's almost certainly forcing 16-bit in Q3 and Half-Life, etc.  Up your desktop color depth to 32-bit and this should go away.

For the record, I'm running dual GF7600 GT's in SLI, and Q3 looks beautiful.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-09, 01:53 »

Cheers. My desktop was set at 32bit colour, but bizarrely, changing back to 16bit and then back to 32bit seems to have solved the problem in Q3. As for HL, I'm a complete div. I forgot to add -32bpp to my shortcut. D'OH!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-09, 02:31 »

Something else you might look at.  If you're having trouble with the "skybox lines" in Q3 for non-moving sky textures, go into the Manage 3D Settings section of the Nvidia control panel and change Conformant Texture Clamp to OFF.  This makes the skybox bug go away.

Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-09, 09:50 »

Where to find that Conformant Texture Clamp or similar on Radeon?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-09, 16:52 »

That I'm not sure of.  I've not used an ATI video card for about ten years so I'm not familiar with their drivers.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-10, 20:57 »

Strangely enough, no joy on the skybox front. Of course there is always \r_texturemode "GL_NEAREST" but I'm not a Promode junkie so I suppose I'm still stuck with Icculus* for offline play which I've been using since my Radeon x600 (I keep a basic VQ3 install with Gen just for online action, naturally).

Unless, of course, my Forceware is just crap (not out of the question) ...

*I'm aware of the team's stance on source ports so I don't recommend using it online. I learnt that the hard way Slipgate - Ninja

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: