2024-04-19, 07:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Valve & nVidia collaboration  (Read 3585 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« on: 2008-01-27, 16:48 »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31989

Read between the lines here, people. I have a bad feeling about this.

Call me paranoid, but how long will it be before your GF drivers start preventing you from launching shit because "steam.dll not found"?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-28, 04:01 »

This sort of thing isn't anything new.  Game companies and hardware vendors have collaborated on demos and bundles for years.  That used to be a major selling point for video cards back during the Voodoo era.  I have several games that were bundled with my old Banshee card than I never got around to trying out.  I'm just rather surprised at Valve promoting Nvidia.  When Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 were released it used to be the conventional wisdom was "Id == Nvidia, Valve == ATI" as far as what ran best on what hardware.  I guess that's changed over the past two years or so.  I've not had trouble running either game, though Episode 2 is a bit harsher on the framerate than HL2 or Ep 1.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-28, 14:42 »

I've not had trouble running either game, though Episode 2 is a bit harsher on the framerate than HL2 or Ep 1.

For me, HL2 was the one with the most stuttering and choppiness.  HL2 Ep1 was smooth and played well.  Ep2 seemed even smoother.  It seemed like they improved upon the engine very well as they went. 
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-28, 14:54 »

I don't really have a strong opinion on the matter, but the deal is quite a bit sweeter than just an extended demo of Portal.  You also get the full version of HL2: Deathmatch, HL2: Lost Coast, and Peggle Extreme.

http://www.steampowered.com/nvidia/ <- Here's the direct link to the promotional offering.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: