2024-04-19, 23:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Imp Player Model  (Read 9485 times)
bengreenwood

Ogre

« on: 2008-01-29, 23:29 »

Guys I was looking around for any player models for Quake 3 that might be suitable for Generations and I came across an awesome imp one. Are you aware of it? You can get it here:

http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Quake3.Detail&id=1954
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-30, 14:00 »

Hey guys I don't know if you're interested but I also found a revenant model.

http://files.filefront.com/q3mdl+revanantzip/;3134560;/fileinfo.html

Pretty cool eh? There's a crakhor one around somewhere, too. Although because no-one's replied I'm guessing you guys can't include any of these due to copyright issues anyway, perhaps. Oh well..
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-30, 19:54 »

Actually I just hadn't had a chance to respond yet.  These are third-party models, so we don't have a right to just use them at will.  Third-party models cannot work with Generations without being assigned a player class.  As well, modifications to the models' files will be necessary for the upcoming version, so that Earth soldiers can hold two gatling guns from the thirdperson view, among other things.  We can't just go around changing other peoples' models without their consent.  Right now, for this reason, third-party models are not supported.

We do have a few in-house models that are compatible with .99f however.  Tabun has created the Qforcer based on Quake 1's Enforcer, and the Strogg Guard based on Quake 2's prosthetic-armed footsoldiers (except without the prosthetic this time).  These are available in the Wirehead Model Pack located on the downloads page.
  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-30, 21:50 »

Cool. Actually I've emailed the people responsible for those models, asking about them. Is there any possibility that they could actually be included with Generations in the future? Or maybe have a model pack or something? I mean, if they were modified to work properly with it? I really like the models I mentioned. Maybe I could do some new sounds for them, too.

And yeah that QForcer and the Strogg Guard look brilliant, to put it mildly. I saw them in that video and was like "Okay this is getting awesome now.".
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-31, 02:10 »

At present, I'd like to hold off on any commitments regarding additional player models until we have the code working.  I'd also rather it be Wirehead staff that contact any model authors for permissions as opposed to a third party, as we're the only ones who will be able to properly communicate the exact requirements for getting a model to work once the code is in place and ultimately we need to have their permission in writing for it to all be kosher.

bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #5 on: 2008-02-13, 03:03 »

Err, okay, well.. the thing is a while ago I sent off a few emails asking people about this, and today, Alex Wayne, author of the Imp, Revenant and Arachnotron models, got back to me saying it would be ok to do what you want with them, although if you do, he'd like a credit. I don't think he'd be willing to help out with converting them, but he'd let you use them. He also mentioned that he doesn't have the original 3DS models, if that matters, regarding converting them to Generations.

I don't know if you guys will end up using them, but it'd be really cool for a future release, because they're great models (especially the Revenant). If you do, and you want the guy's email to get his permission confirmed, let me know (it's not the one in the model packs, that's outdated).

God it'd be so cool to be able to punch people as the Revenant..
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #6 on: 2008-02-13, 11:28 »

If you would ask me Klesk looks better as modern incarnation of Imp.

But seeing as his brotheren were slayed by that Doomed marine he used some of his brain cells and to even the scale he started using red colored plasma insted of his fireballs. Doom - Exclamation

How do you like that  Doom - Huh? Doom - Thumbs Up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2008-02-13, 19:31 »

bengreenwood:  I've just sent you a private message.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2008-02-17, 18:22 »

Actually I just hadn't had a chance to respond yet.  These are third-party models, so we don't have a right to just use them at will.  Third-party models cannot work with Generations without being assigned a player class.  As well, modifications to the models' files will be necessary for the upcoming version, so that Earth soldiers can hold two gatling guns from the thirdperson view, among other things.  We can't just go around changing other peoples' models without their consent.  Right now, for this reason, third-party models are not supported.

five years ago ( can't believe I'm still around here after all that time ) I asked the orinal modeller if we could use the models for generations arena. and from his answer I know he was OK with it.
he even sended me his other models wich he didn't had time to finish them off .
these models where
Demon
mancubus
cacodemon
chaingun guy.

unfortunatly due to computer changes and stuff i lost these files. Banging Head against Wall
but I can tell you that the original autor was ok with us using his models.
( btw , his arachnatron model is my favorite of all )
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2008-02-17, 19:18 »

There he is!  I was just asking the other day on the Off Topic Forum what happened to you.

Anyway, yeah, ben sent me the response.  The Imp and Arachnotron, etc, he basically said "do what ever you want, but give me some credit if you don't mind", so we have permission to use them if we so choose.  As for the other models, I remember seeing screenshots of them in progress, but nothing beyond that.

bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #10 on: 2008-02-17, 23:58 »

Hmm.. those models sound cool, especially the Cacodemon. Would be slightly surreal to see one of those in a deathmatch!

Something I've been wondering, though. Is there a limit to how much stuff you can put in Generations that links to other ID games? Would they get annoyed if you had too many ID copyrighted player models?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2008-02-18, 03:45 »

The player models are downloaded as a separate file, so technically they're not part of the mod per se.  For example, the Qforcer and Strogg Guard models work with normal Quake 3.  The modifications we need to make to player models for class compatibility as well as the additional player stances we have planned also will not break compatibility between the models and Quake 3 Arena.  The models Demon made were originally intended for a project called Reborn.  Reborn was going to be a remake of the original Doom within Quake 3.  They were contacted by Id Software and told to desist (this was when Doom 3 was in development).  From what we can tell, Id had issues with making a Doom game clone in another engine.  Id did OK the release of the models as standard player models for Quake 3.  So, there is precedent there regarding modeling Q3 ppm's after existing Id monsters.  I think as long as a player model is "made for Q3" and just compatibility with Generations' extra features, there should be no problem.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2008-05-29, 22:48 »

forgot to mention, he also released the revenant model.
but he didnt put any sound files with it.
at this point I use bones his soundfiles instead. ( sarge his grunt isn't doing it for me )
Nonanonymous

Dopefish

« Reply #13 on: 2008-11-09, 03:28 »

That Imp is really snazzy, although I'm a bit less impressed with the extra skins.  The Arachnotron looks fantastic with the DooMers's plasma rifle, too.  The Revenant needs work, though.  I've got a gap in the top of the skull that I noticed when I ran an obligatory test run on q3dm0, and the animations just seem "meh."  Not to mention how awkward it looks with the DooM weapons on its shoulders.

I would include the other two, maybe the Mancubus and chaingunner if you can somehow find them, but I think we're better off with just Bones in the Revenant department.  Of course, there is this...  It looks more like a Revenant than a Strogg to me, anyways.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: