2024-04-27, 14:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Most goddamned annoying moment on a videogame.  (Read 6589 times)
Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« on: 2008-02-24, 00:17 »

Just post your most frustrating moment in gaming.

Mine are 2:

1.- Beating Duriel on Diablo II: For those who don't know, Duriel is the Boss enemy for the second act in Diablo II.
I HATE DURIEL. I almost feel like fighting against a hacker. He's insanely fast, has a massive health, and some cheap freeze attack that ignores your cold resistances. I almost go crazy german kid on the game.
That damn deformed hydralisk is scientifficly designed to get on your tits.

2.- Making that barrel-jump in Half-life: You know what I'm talking about. You're in a giant sewer like section, where the floor is flooded with radioactive waste and 3 barrels pass from time to time. The most frustrating 10 minutes of my life. I almost bind quick-save and quick-load to left and right mouse buttons.

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2008-02-24, 00:32 »

whatever that level in battletoads is where you are in a cavern looking place speeding through a course.

... god, i think i have to go play it now that you reminded me of it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...0&so=0&type=search&plindex=2
« Last Edit: 2008-02-24, 00:36 by fourier » Logged
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #2 on: 2008-02-24, 03:08 »

PSO:
De Rol Le, first time you have to fight it, that bastard is so hard to kill cause you only get to hit it with melee weapons 10% of the time (if that) the rest of the time it's either dicking around out of range of handguns and most techs, rangers have the easiest time but even then you have to dodge it's almost insta-kill attacks (and the wave-y energy ball spam attack is a bitch to dodge.)

Same thing for the gryphon, only he's a bit more like the dragon, flies around too fast to hit with anything.

Family Guy: pretty much the whole game, seriously didn't the developers hear of BUG TESTING?

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2008-02-24, 03:49 »

Loads. Let's see now ...

The endless fights with Mother in FF7

Any encounter with the soldiers in HL1. GRENADE!!

The final fight with Xan in UT (PS2). Damn, he's tough!

The insane amount of Archviles in Plutonia (I only finished it for the first time last month!)

The Gran Turismo licence tests

The Level 5 boss in R-Type Final. The wobbly screen meant it was almost impossible to judge where the lasers would go

Keeping the girlfriend(s) happy in San Andreas

Every time I fell through the ground in Burnout Revenge thanks to the massive bug

The fact that EA have completely ruined Burnout anyway.

There's more, but that's all I can think of for now.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #4 on: 2008-02-24, 07:14 »

Breath of Fire's boss battles, All enemies have a health bar showing you how much life they have (percentage wise) excluding bosses who after the bar is almost gone there's a sliver left that doesn't disappear after HOURS of hacking away.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2008-02-24, 08:26 »

I'm assuming we mean primarily single-player games here.  Far too many instances in multiplayer games regarding lameness, cheaters, or dialup lagouts to list...

I would say one of the most frustrating moments for me was playing a hard mission in Wing Commander, almost having it complete and getting DIVIDE BY ZERO across the top of the screen.  Other moments in Wing Commander and WC2 involved:

Finishing all the objectives, flying through an asteroid field on the way back to the carrier, and ASTEROID FROM NOWHERE BLOW UP YOUR SHIP!!!
Rear-ending a Gratha or Krant fighter because they have a slower afterburn rate and tend to stop right in front of you.
Idiot wingmen running into me on missions where I cannot send them back to base.
Idiot wingmen who cannot defend the transport that's being shot to pieces.
Idiot wingmen who cannot defend the carrier that's being shot to pieces.
Any mission in WC2 that involved the Epee fighter.  I HATE FLYING THAT !@#@! SHIP!

I would say the absolute, most frustrating thing I have ever played was the Star Trek 25th Aniversary game's space combat portion.  One mission you had to fight two small ships, I forget what they were, but also a rogue Constitution-class ship.  You spend all your time trying to switch between spaceflight and damage control (Isn't that the freaking engineer's job?) and the ship turns like a slug, so it's impossible to avoid getting pounded on by at least two ships while you're trying to tail the third.  It was unwinnable.  I finally gave up, which is rare for me.  Consider that in Wing Commander I have done the following:

Kurasawa 2 - Saved the Ralari.  I've only had to refly this mission twice in all the times I've played the game.  Anyone who has played this game knows this mission and why it's considered hard.
Secret Missions 2:  Second mission - I've shot down all the fighters:  4 Dralthi Mk 2, 4 krant, 9 Jalthi, and blown up all three Fralthi cruisers, on the first try, no armor damage, and Iceman came out of it alive with only his front and rear armor gone.  This is flying a Hornet light fighter.
Wing Commander 3 and 4:  Beaten both on Nightmare skill.

So... impossible odds are not a problem for me, and for flying I'll outfly any one and any thing, but that @#@!$ Star Trek mission was flat out unwinnable, and I hate it to this day.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2008-02-24, 11:14 »

Here are a few right off the top of my head...

How quickly you can go from first place to last place in the Mario Kart series. (Super Mario Kart is the only video game I've played where I became so enraged that I destroyed a personal belonging.)

The "Tower of Sin" mission that's in one of the downloadable content packs for Folklore.  It requires such an absurd amount of luck and the reward is so ridiculously piss poor, you'll feel disgusted with yourself for having wasted your time and putting the wear and tear on your controller.  (The left analog stick on my Dualshock 3 "sticks" now.  The controller is less than two months old, and I had to import it from Japan since it's not available elsewhere.)

Any RPG with a boss battle where the boss kills you with a never-before-seen, instant or near instant-death move after spending thirty minutes to an hour whittling down his/her/its health.  (The RPG genre as a whole receives a loud, resounding "spork you" from me because most of them have at least one boss like this.)

Several missions in GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark on harder difficulties and sometimes in conjunction with trying to unlock a new cheat. 

And while I'm at it, minor annoyances include...

A "first-person" game where I can't see any part of my body other than my arm(s).

Games that pull the "you're-the-character" crap and force me to do things I would never do in that situation.

In relation to the above annoyance, games where everybody except the main character talks.  (Why even give him/her/it a name or a back-story then?)
« Last Edit: 2008-02-24, 11:18 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2008-02-24, 12:44 »

Aside from the crashes when you were just thinking: "oh wow I never thought I would make it to the end, only a few more .." ..

.. well, pretty much all my most-annoying moments have been in Nethack. Mostly foolishness that has enormous consequences, like forgetting to re-equip gloves before touching a cockatrice, or making one step too many and getting paralyzed by a floating eye monster, only to be hacked to death by a random, weak creature in the game. But also just very bad luck: getting polymorphed by a polymorph trap into something that cannot survive the environment that the trap was in, or having monsters (randomly) steal exactly that one item that you couldn't live without. Frus-tra-ting moments.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #8 on: 2008-02-24, 18:36 »

One that really sticks out for me is trying to beat Stage 5' in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.  It's supposed to be the single hardest stage in the whole game, and I can see why!  Oh, and the first part of Stage 7 in the same game can be frustrating to get through, too.  At least the music is awesome.

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #9 on: 2008-02-24, 19:40 »

Resident Evil Outbreak..... Banging Head against Wall  NUFF said.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #10 on: 2008-02-24, 20:41 »

1.- Beating Duriel on Diablo II: For those who don't know, Duriel is the Boss enemy for the second act in Diablo II.
I HATE DURIEL. I almost feel like fighting against a hacker. He's insanely fast, has a massive health, and some cheap freeze attack that ignores your cold resistances. I almost go crazy german kid on the game.
That damn deformed hydralisk is scientifficly designed to get on your tits.

Haha, I was just complaining to my boyfriend about that the other week! I'd completely agree. Duriel is by far the most pain-in-the-butt part of the entire Diablo series.

fourier: I don't think that the Turbo-Tubes (what I believe the level was called) was too difficult when taken in context. The problem with Battletoads was that is was a hard game regardless, and only worse with a second player tagging along. I recall hating a much later level where you had to climb up giant snakes that were zooming in and out of holes in the walls. Oh, and the last level itself... climbing up the spiraling tower-thing blew.

Kain-Xavier: I play Mario Kart: Double Dash a lot with my boyfriend. I find that the First Place Shell and Lightning weapons are both far too powerful for two-player games. They're somewhat more balances with four people, but I still wish I could turn selective weapon off like in Super Smash Bros.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #11 on: 2008-02-24, 23:50 »

Don't really have a 'most annoying' moment.. just a lot of small ones that span a couple decades across various platforms.

Though if I had to pick one.. I'd probably go Angry Video Game Nerd about Ghostbusters for the NES. Was always a Ghostbusters fan, so getting dealt that was highly annoying.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #12 on: 2008-02-25, 03:11 »

I had Ghostbusters for the Atari 2600 back in the day. How the hell was anyone supposed to beat Stay Puft when you couldn't move as soon as he appeared on the map? Infuriating.

On the ol' VCS note, the Cobra ships in Solaris were a pain in the ass. Especially since the final quadrant had three consecutive sectors full of 'em. Other than that, best game on the system.

Oh, yes, and Minion Soldier in Gunstar Heroes (Mega Drive).

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: