2024-03-29, 12:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a Game of Generations  (Read 13421 times)
bengreenwood

Ogre

« on: 2008-03-07, 02:22 »

Hi,

I've tried to play Generations online loads of times, but whenever I do, the two servers are always empty. Although I did play Phoenix once, and he said that people are usually on 9pm cet or eastern. The thing is, that's usually an inconvenient time for me, so I was kind of thinking it would be good to get some way of organising things out better, so that it's easier to find a game online. I don't know how exactly, maybe there could be days/ times set out and made clear on the Generations website front page, as to when people should be online?

I mean, am I right in remembering it as 9pm cet or eastern, or does it vary depending on the day?

If one doesn't exist already, maybe we could organise a day/ time when everyone from the forums could get together and play? I searched around but couldn't figure out if there was one already, but maybe there is- if so when is that?
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #1 on: 2008-03-07, 02:55 »

Well there was this page... http://www.wireheadstudios.org/generations/servers.php but... yeah...

Outside of the random pick up games there used to be weekly games on sat/wed nights but those seem to have either died or I haven't been paying attention recently.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2008-03-07, 16:15 »

The 9pm CET for Euro and 9pm Eastern for the US server (currently mine) is only for Saturday's organized game.  Well, it used to be organized, but that's been the long-standing time that was agreed upon in the past.  I try to drop in sometime around 10 pm on Saturdays if I can.  For myself, evenings are generally bad.  I'm usually online more in the morning to early afternoon, but it varies from day to day.  A good rule for me is, if I'm on IRC, I'm usually available for a game unless I say otherwise.  If I'm not in the IRC chat room, I am not.

As for organizing a game, I leave it up to you.  If players can agree on a good day and time to organize a game, by all means!  Drop by IRC and chat it up, or post when you can play here and get something going.
  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #3 on: 2008-03-07, 17:01 »

Cool.

I can play most nights, 11 PM - 2 AM GMT. So that's Midnight - 3 AM CET, or 6 PM - 9 PM eastern, I think. Obviously I'd rather play in the European server because I get like a third of the lag, being in England, but I'll play in either if necessary. But yeah, I can play at those times, so if a given day was set to play, I'd be there every week.

What about other people? If people write what days they can play we could arrange a day/ time that would suit everyone...
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #4 on: 2008-03-07, 18:02 »

My play time is pretty much 'whenever I feel like playing'. Being laid off like I am, this usually amounts to random days.. and usually in the extremely early hours (12am - 3am EST). Now if I was working, those times would be impossible, seeing as how it's a day shift job (which is actually quite hard to manage as a natural noctural).. so it's hard to say in that situation until happens, since I've only started playing again just recently.

Being in the US, I naturally play on Pho's server against the bots, but Pho managed to show up himself on a couple occasions to add some spice to the mix. That's not to say I won't play on the Euro server, as I've played there quite often in the past with Tab and Alucard on those Saturday games (which I quite easily forget about these days).

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2008-03-07, 19:53 »

I'll play on Euro if there's a Euro game going on, provided I've not perched early for the night.

As for my own server, I do want to add that yes, I get 3-6 ping to it because it's my own server.  I don't want that that to put anyone off.  I've been using Generations.exe to play Q3 with since I started making engine changes, and I upped the cap on cl_timenudge to 600, so I usually induce "fake" lag for myself equivalent to about 80 ping or so.  In Q3 1.32 cl_timenudge is capped from -30 to +30.  Unfortunately this doesn't reflect in my ping on the scoreboard, but I'll try to make things as fair as I can if I'm on my server here.  I suppose I should bug Warden and find out if we're going to get a US server back again or if I'm pretty much it.

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2008-03-07, 22:52 »

My server, for the most part, runs my mod, but if you see it running generations, more than likely a game is about to happen with some friends.  It's not anything consistent -- more like, "hey you wanna play generations? sure, let me switch the server".  So, if you see it running generations, you are more than welcome to join (it's a US east coast server): 209.9.227.118:27960
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2008-03-08, 00:45 »

I'm available for a game RIGHT NOW (7 pm EST) if anyone wants to play!

bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #8 on: 2008-03-08, 01:06 »

Well I've gotta cook some food but gimme half an hour, and I'll be on, if that's any good!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2008-03-08, 01:14 »

I'll be on IRC.  Drop in and get with me then we'll play some.  Euro server is fine for me!  Doom - Love

bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #10 on: 2008-03-08, 01:46 »

I've barely ever used IRC before.. how do I connect to the Generations IRC room? I have MIRC but I don't know how to do shit with it really.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2008-03-08, 01:59 »

All the info for Wirehead's IRC room is here.  That's where we usually go to organize games, and chat about anything Generations-related, etc.

I'll have to leave for a bit.  I'll be back sometime after 9 pm Eastern (about 45 minutes) and then I can play.

bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #12 on: 2008-03-08, 02:06 »

Yeah well I've gotta go eat- when I said eat before I meant cook but now it's ready so I'll definitely be back in about an hour and a half/ 2 hours from now, and then I'll play for a couple of hours, if anyone's on..
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #13 on: 2008-03-09, 00:22 »

i'd like to get a game going tonight.
Been on IRC all day and it's deader than a graveyard.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2008-03-09, 00:32 »

hehe well convince more ppls to join the irc and something might be diffrent Slipgate - Wink
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #15 on: 2008-03-09, 00:49 »

I got on the IRC yesterday. This might sound dumb but when you put the server details into MIRC, you have to click 'select' to get it to use that server. You can't just click 'ok'.

I didn't realise that before yesterday, that's why I only started using it yesterday. Probably sounds dumb but it's an easy mistake to make, I think.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #16 on: 2008-03-10, 22:07 »

As i have said before and will do many times

i am always available for people's fragging pleasure

stick my email > codex_2001@hotmail.com into your messenger and just nudge me

chances are i will go to the euro server and kick major ass with whoever asks

Slipgate - Thumbs up!
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #17 on: 2008-03-27, 17:01 »

Lordbane, that's cool, thanks. I would email you asking for a game but I prefer to play with like, 3-4 people at a time. Maybe we could have like a mailing list or something, so that if you want to play, you just email the mailing list, and it tells everyone on that list you want to play.

So how's about it? Anyone else want to post up their email here so that we can do that? My email is ben_2891 at hotmail dawt co dawt uk, as Phoenix would say.

BTW guys I don't have IRC any more because the trial period ran out.
« Last Edit: 2008-03-27, 20:13 by Phoenix » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2008-03-27, 17:22 »

Just a warning about posting emails out in public on the web.  There are spamcrawlers that troll the web looking for email addresses.  If you want to post an email addy, you might consider obfuscating it abit.  Example:

dude (at) whatever dawt neht.

instead of dude@whatever.net

ben:  There are alternative clients to mirc if you don't want to register.  I think Xchat is one free client.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #19 on: 2008-03-27, 18:47 »

Trillian is my preferred IRC client, especially since I can also connect to ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, and MSN in it (without ads!). The "pro" version also allows for Jabber and Bonjour, I believe. Otherwise, it's free. I'm pretty sure that there's a Windows version of Gaim nowadays as well, though I always preferred Kopete as far as Linus goes. *shrugs*
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: