2024-03-19, 06:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tron 2.0 Killer App!  (Read 5047 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2008-03-31, 03:17 »

Our very own Kain-Xavier has been involved in a major mod project for the Tron 2.0 video game called the Tron 2.0 Killer App.  Tron 2.0 is an excellent FPS game with some arcade elements in it that was released a few years back.  If you're familiar with the movie Tron but not the game, you should try to snag a copy.  It continues the story, and it's an eye-candy fest with excellent game play to boot.  If you're unfamiliar with either, go out and buy the Tron DVD now and watch it, then try to get a copy of the game.

So what is Killer App and what does it do?  Unfortunately, Buena Vista Games never gave modders the support they needed.  Killer App "completes" the multiplayer aspect of the game with new models, skins, light cycles, and enhanced visuals - what the game didn't ship with but should have.  Check it out now!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-03-31, 15:06 »

Bump, so the chat about Smash Brothers doesn't bury this posting.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #2 on: 2008-03-31, 17:02 »

I'd like to point out that due to it's age you'll probably have better luck looking in used bookstores and... menard's?

Weird but that's where I saw a copy...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #3 on: 2008-03-31, 18:34 »

Oooh, I love Tron 2.0! The lightcycles could have been better implemented, I think, but the subtle RPG aspects of the overall game were an interesting touch. I can't say I ever really had a long go at mutliplayer outside of the disc tossing thing...

Wasn't "Killer App" the name of the Gameboy Advance version though?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-01, 14:56 »

Picked up a copy of this game a while ago for ?8, ridiculously cheap if you ask me. I really liked the game, but alas, it was a horrible experience due to the low performance of my PC.
It's nice to see people modding for this game. Too bad this game never got the fame it really deserved. Anyway, best of luck to you, Kain!

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-01, 16:11 »

Thanks for creating and bumping the thread Phoenix! Slipgate - Smile

The current release has compressed textures to keep the file size down but an uncompressed version should be available shortly.  Both will be compatible with one another so there shouldn't be an issue with online play.

Slipgate - Off Topic
Wasn't "Killer App" the name of the Gameboy Advance version though?

Killer App was the subtitle the console versions were released under.  The Gameboy Advance version is quite different from the PC and Xbox version though.  It focused on a different plot involving Alan, Tron, and Mercury where a super-virus attacked ENCOM's network if I remember correctly.  It was an isometric platformer of sorts that featured an upgrade system and a lot of really interesting mini-games.  One of the mini-games involved you piloting a recognizer in first-person where you had to shoot down enemy tanks and recognizers.  The game also featured a lot of original vehicle designs, but I'm not sure if Syd Mead played any role in making those.  (I doubt it but then again Disney/Buena Vista got Bruce Boxleitner to provide voice talent for this game as well.)  If I had any sort of modelling skills, I would have included the new light-cycles designs in this mod.

Regarding differences from the Xbox version and the PC version...

The Xbox version primarily offered new multi-player content.

New player colors (It's impossible for us to do this but we at least have imitations of these skins that replace the default colors on duplicate player models.)

New player models  (We have all of the player models that were in the Xbox version and more.  Unless you count the Xbox version of Jet where his face is obscured by a helmet to make him look more like Master Chief from the Halo series... I'm not kidding.)

Five new weapons (We have one of the five new weapons since it was actually something that was partially implemented by Monolith.  It may be possible to implement the other four, but we'd have to do it using the existing weapon behavior.  It's impossible to code new weapon behavior thanks to the source code never being released.)

Two new multi-player modes: One featured on-foot combat and light-cycle racing simultaneously and the other was a class-based team mode.  (Sadly, it's impossible to implement these as well.)

New music (Thankfully, our mod does not feature this as the new music replaced the original score and is the equivalent of listening to a "NOW" CD.)

And of course new multi-player maps (None are included with the mod.  I'm not sure if anybody else in the community recreated them either.)
« Last Edit: 2008-04-01, 16:52 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-01, 18:07 »

Cool cant say i've played the game so abit hard for me to try this mod but i suspect its good Slipgate - Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: