2024-04-18, 08:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Router Vulnerability  (Read 6117 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2008-04-08, 17:49 »

Do you use a router?  If you don't, you should even if you have only one computer, as they make a pretty good firewall against port-based attacks.  If you are using a router and have not configured it beyond "plug in computer, turn on internet" I'd suggest RTFM and setting a good password.  Do not cache your router password either!  There is now a sneaky way to get behind a router, and it relies on factory default passwords.  Here's a link with more info:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,144224-pg,1/article.html

It also relies on Javascript.  I may sound like a broken record, but Javascript is not your friend.  Damned near every browser exploit relies on Javascript.  If you want maximum security, only run Javascript on sites you know are legitimate.  I recommend using the NoScript plugin if you're using the browser formerly known as Firebird.  If you're using IE, I'm tempted to ask what's wrong with you, but there are settings to restrict content access though it's a bit of a pain.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-16, 23:37 »

Not related to this attack, but always a good thing to do if you're serious about security: do not join the wireless hype. Lay out a clean wired network and disable your router/gateway's wireless functions. If you can't, removing the antenna(e) helps lots, too.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-17, 06:50 »

Well factory default settings on wireless is not secure at all but using a fairly complex WPA+PSK key is quite enough for "normal" persons. usually no one wants to break into their networks, more fun to break into larger buisniess wireless nets Slipgate - Wink
And by the way some of them even run an open system..which is quite bad since you get almost full access to their network.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-17, 07:32 »

You've got to admit, Tab, wireless is pretty useful, but I agree with you, it's just not worth it. Besides, cables are easier to set-up!

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-17, 19:52 »

Not related to this attack, but always a good thing to do if you're serious about security: do not join the wireless hype. Lay out a clean wired network and disable your router/gateway's wireless functions. If you can't, removing the antenna(e) helps lots, too.

Seconded.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-18, 12:30 »

Boots: true in most practical cases, but why let your security depend on the quirks and interests of others, instead of on your own decisions?

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-18, 18:08 »

True but either we like it or not the near future will be more and more "wireless" and eventually there wont be that many "wired" networks anymore (just take a look on the new super 3g and the satelite project japan has)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: