2024-04-19, 08:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Model editing  (Read 5780 times)
Sniper 109

Unnamed Player

« on: 2008-11-12, 20:03 »

Hi I'm new to Quake (But old to doom) I would like to learn how to make 3dmodels.I downloaded a few programs but I couldn't really do anything with them (blender3d,QME,3dsmax)I was told they where very good programs but I don't understand how to use them,I checked the FAQ of the sites for something but I couldn't do anything.

The purpose of the models I want to make is for a port of doom called Skulltag (that supports models up to md3 format)I already was able to port the dreadus shotgun (from jdoom/doomsday to skulltag)Now I just want to make my own.

I also saw a you tube video with 3d doom models for q3a and eventually led me to this site I saw screenshots of a doom hud weapon model pack I would like to download it I can't find it on this site though...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2008-11-13, 00:39 »

They are a part of this mod, and to my knowledge, aren't for reuse.(atleast, not without proper permission and credit).

My memory and knowledge is less-than reliable, though, so I'm certain Phoenix or some other high-ranked individual will swoop in and give you the low-down.
« Last Edit: 2008-11-13, 00:42 by Footman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2008-11-13, 01:28 »

The Youtube video was probably our promotional video for our 1.0 release.  Generations Arena is a Q3A mod that combines the weapons and playing styles of Doom, Quake, Quake 2, and Wolfenstein-3D (with a lot of liberties to Wolf) into the Q3A universe.  The .99f version for Q3A v. 1.32 can be downloaded here.

The weapon models, etc, that we have created are not for distribution outside the mod.  That includes porting them to another format, or modifying them in any way.  You can do what you want with them on your own computer for private use, just so long as you do not distribute them in whole or in part.  If you're wanting to make your own models you cannot just use ours and tweak them; that's a no-no in the modeling world and also runs afoul of copyrights.   However, you can take a look at ours in a modeling program to see how they're put together and then design and create your own using what you learn.  Most modelers, myself included, learned how models work by examining other people's stuff, figuring out what is what, and then making our own material.

If you're seriously interested in learning how to make your own models definitely feel free to ask questions here.  We like to help fledgling modders when possible to get off in the right direction.  As for programs, Max is powerful but has a steep learning curve.  QME I'm not too familiar with, and I know nothing about Blender.  I can say that if you learn Max it's an extremely powerful program once you understand how to use it.  As long as you can export to the format you need to use in Skulltag it will do anything you could possibly need it to.  Tab and myself are also familiar with the program a bit, though Tab's more the expert with Max when it comes to actually using the program to create things.  My expertise is more on the import/export side and integration with the program code, texture pathing, shaderizing, etc.  Most of my mesh creation has actually been done in the old Q2 Modeler program, but ask either one of us a question and we'll do our best to answer.
   Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Sniper 109

Unnamed Player

« Reply #3 on: 2008-11-13, 02:09 »

They are a part of this mod, and to my knowledge, aren't for reuse.(atleast, not without proper permission and credit).

My memory and knowledge is less-than reliable, though, so I'm certain Phoenix or some other high-ranked individual will swoop in and give you the low-down.

Don't worry about it,I never re-release other peoples work
The Youtube video was probably our promotional video for our 1.0 release.  Generations Arena is a Q3A mod that combines the weapons and playing styles of Doom, Quake, Quake 2, and Wolfenstein-3D (with a lot of liberties to Wolf) into the Q3A universe.  The .99f version for Q3A v. 1.32 can be downloaded here.

The weapon models, etc, that we have created are not for distribution outside the mod.  That includes porting them to another format, or modifying them in any way.  You can do what you want with them on your own computer for private use, just so long as you do not distribute them in whole or in part.  If you're wanting to make your own models you cannot just use ours and tweak them; that's a no-no in the modeling world and also runs afoul of copyrights.   However, you can take a look at ours in a modeling program to see how they're put together and then design and create your own using what you learn.  Most modelers, myself included, learned how models work by examining other people's stuff, figuring out what is what, and then making our own material.

If you're seriously interested in learning how to make your own models definitely feel free to ask questions here.  We like to help fledgling modders when possible to get off in the right direction.  As for programs, Max is powerful but has a steep learning curve.  QME I'm not too familiar with, and I know nothing about Blender.  I can say that if you learn Max it's an extremely powerful program once you understand how to use it.  As long as you can export to the format you need to use in Skulltag it will do anything you could possibly need it to.  Tab and myself are also familiar with the program a bit, though Tab's more the expert with Max when it comes to actually using the program to create things.  My expertise is more on the import/export side and integration with the program code, texture pathing, shaderizing, etc.  Most of my mesh creation has actually been done in the old Q2 Modeler program, but ask either one of us a question and we'll do our best to answer.
   Doom - Thumbs Up!

I'll go fiddle around with 3dsmax so stay around because I probobly have a few questions later.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2008-11-13, 18:10 »

I'm an administrator of this message board, so don't worry. I'm not going anywhere.  Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Sniper 109

Unnamed Player

« Reply #5 on: 2008-11-13, 18:47 »

I have some bad news my 3dsmax isn't working anymore and they updated the build full version costs money now  :wall:so I can only download the trial version and that version is way different and is very limited but I'll try my best...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: