2024-03-28, 19:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I need some help to install the game.  (Read 14337 times)
rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« on: 2009-04-06, 17:55 »

Hello. I'm new here and needs some help to get "Generation Arena" to work.

I already tried to install it and failed. I don't know why it did that.

Here is some basic detail that u guys can help me with.

Computer:

Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit) by Dell using Service Pack 1
Pentium(R) Duel-Core E5200 @ 2.50 GHz

Q3 game type.

Quake 3 Arena 1.32 C update

I think the Multimedia player stop the installer. The installer stop in it's tracks and I can close everything, except the installer and iTunes. I restarted the computer and uninstall the rest of Generation Arena and kept the Quake 3 Arena game with all the Custom Characters and map.

If you guys need to know what was the original CD was before I updated. It was the 1.03 Plus version.

Can any of yas help me so I can get this game a try. I don't want to be left out. The videos for the game look really awesome. Please help me.

I do have ustream so anyone can help me step by step on this.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2009-04-06, 18:10 »

Hi
If I understand you right the gen installer stops responding while installing the mod?

Btw also there is an other way of installing gen by downloading the .zip files. just extract them a "generations" map in your quake 3 folder.
The .zip files are avail further down on the generations download page. http://www.wireheadstudios.org/generations/downloads.php
rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« Reply #2 on: 2009-04-06, 18:17 »

So either way it should work.

I had 99f and it said I need the 99e. So I got that and it failed.

Do u think I should give the installer another chance. If so, I'll take off everything off except the program that I'm going to run and try it that way. If it fails again, I'll go with the Zips.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2009-04-06, 23:48 »

The install order is .99e, then the .99f patch.  If you're stuck, do the following.

1)  Delete the "generations" folder that's in your Quake III Arena directory.  The path could be c:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\generations or something like that.

2)  Download genv99e.zip.  Unzip it to your Quake III Arena directory.  It will automatically create the generations directory.

3)  Download the FFA Mappack.  Again, unzip it to your Quake III Arena directory.  It will automatically place the map files in the generations folder.

4)  Download the CTF Mappack.  Again, unzip it to your Quake III Arena directory.  It will automatically place the map files in the generations folder.

5)  Download the .99f Update.  Again, unzip it to your Quake III Arena directory.  It will automatically place the update files in your generations directory.

6)  You can also download the optional Wirehead Model Pack.  This includes the new QForcer and Strogg Guard models, and some new bots.  This one you'll have to decide where you want it.  You can unzip it to Quake III Arena\baseq3, or Quake III Arena\generations.  I recommend the second option.

7)  Finally, You will need to create a shortcut with the following arguments to play:

"C:\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe" +set fs_game generations

Substitute the proper location for your Quake 3 executable.

If prompted to overwrite files when installing the patch or map packs, do so.  Once installed and the shortcut created, double-click the shortcut to run Generations.  It should a short video with the Wirehead Studios logo and a railgun effect.  Afterwards, you should see a blue user interface that has the Generations Arena logo.  If so, you're up and running.

This SHOULD fix your problems.  If you get stuck, let us know what's happening and we'll do our best to help.
   Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #4 on: 2009-04-07, 01:44 »

Is "+set com_hunkmegs" not a required argument anymore? I'm still using it in my shortcut...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2009-04-07, 04:40 »

As long as you have the "+seta com_hunkmegs" statement in your q3config.cfg in the generations folder it's fine.

rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« Reply #6 on: 2009-04-07, 04:57 »

I got all the zips in and put alll the files and folders in that generation folder needed in "C:\Program Files\Quake 3 Arena\"

Now I got another problem. I guess this is where it got mess up when it was trying to install it. The Intro is ok, but the title screen is not. I can't see anything. I see the titles, but nothing else with is kind of bg. I got to exit out the normal way and try again, but the same happen. Here's a pic of my problem.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2009-04-07, 19:16 »

uhm seems to me that you lack certain graphical elements there, so it seems to me that you havent gotten gen installed properly, you sure you followed phoenix advice? cuz you pretty much can't fail then Slipgate - Smile

also i know it might sound stupid but..you did extract the files within the zip?

does the problem occur in normal quake 3 aswell?
rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« Reply #8 on: 2009-04-07, 21:07 »

uhm seems to me that you lack certain graphical elements there, so it seems to me that you havent gotten gen installed properly, you sure you followed phoenix advice? cuz you pretty much can't fail then Slipgate - Smile

also i know it might sound stupid but..you did extract the files within the zip?

does the problem occur in normal quake 3 aswell?

My Quake 3 Arena can play up to the graphic card that I have. It has little to no problem to get in. It may get gray at certain time when starting the program. So I have to open up the task manager and end it that way and try again.

This one failed for some reason.

I open up the zips and saw the generation folders. I put all the folders in the same place and have move and replace some of the files where in the folder because it had the same file in that zip as well. I cut the folder, that had all the files and folders inside, and move it to the "C:\Program Files\Quake 3 Arena".

I do know that I can still play the regular, custom, and gen maps on this game as well by using the console. By the looks of it, some of the stuff hanging around and weapon fire is also mess-up.

I know that the game play is still working, but the menu function failed.
« Last Edit: 2009-04-07, 22:19 by rocketboy3005 » Logged

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2009-04-07, 22:52 »

hmm sounds to me that for some reason your files get corrupted sort of, if so that could indicate that your RAM is broken since you also had problems with the installer it's quite possible.

Thought im sure if anyone knows more about why you get missing textures in the gen menu's it's Phoenix.
rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« Reply #10 on: 2009-04-07, 23:31 »

I know that my memory ram is up where it is needed for these type of games.

Memory Ram is up at 3 GB.

How much hunkmegs do i need to run this. It's probably at 100 megs because of 1 map that is needed to be that high.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2009-04-08, 00:09 »

That's not a memory issue, that's caused by missing graphics, which means a .pk3 file is corrupt or missing or a shader is broken somewhere.  It's loading the user interface so I think we at least are working out of the right folder.

I need to know a few things.

First, what is the exact path to your "generations" folder?
Second, what is the exact path to your "Quake III Arena" folder?
Third, I need a list of all the files in your "generations" folder that end in .pk3.
Fourth, when you get that screen, I need you to do the following.  Hit the ~ key to lower the console.  Type /condump errorlog.txt and press the ENTER key.  Locate the errorlog.txt file in your generations folder.  Open the file, copy the text, and send it to me in a private message.
Last, with the console down, in the lower right corner, it should report what version of Quake III Arena is running.  Let me know what that says.

We'll go from there.
  Doom - Thumbs Up!

rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« Reply #12 on: 2009-04-08, 00:28 »

Make it easier, I send u a PM of my link to ustream. I'll see u there.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2009-04-08, 02:01 »

I tried the Ustream thing, and I cannot get the video to play with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla.  I don't have any security settings that should be blocking it.  Not sure what the problem is there, but nothing seems to get it to play.  Slipgate - Sad

I'll have to check back tomorrow to help you further  I'm out of time for tonight.

rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« Reply #14 on: 2009-04-08, 02:11 »

Strange. Let me try typing it here. I know that everyone here will see me what am I doing.

But I need to get this to work as soon as possible. I'll be leaving on the weekend to see my family. i want to try this b4 Thursday afternoon.

Here's the site again.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rocketboy3005-playing-on-the-computer

I'll see u on there soon.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2009-04-08, 06:28 »

well i didnt mean the glitch he has in gen is a bad ram memory issue but his installer not beeing able to install it correctly and since he's missing graphics i meant by his .pk3 getting corrupted due to bad ram ^^

i've seen it numerous times when files get corrupted, some programs doesnt work and it's all related to the RAM beeing broken. thought then stuff should happen outside gen aswell so that doesnt make much sense, oh well Slipgate - Smile
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #16 on: 2009-04-08, 18:47 »

Might be nothing but Vista is a pain for not letting you copy files to some drives or directories. Just make sure the files are in the right folders.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« Reply #17 on: 2009-04-08, 19:29 »

Vista is always a pain in my book. I love XP. My parents should of gave me the back compatible to XP instead of Vista Home Premium. I love XP more then buggy Vista.

I got all the Zip files and selected them all and select "extract to ...\" from my WinRAR and it done the trick for me. I open the folder and saw all files on the outside of gens folder that belongs to basq3 folder and the gens foldr to the Root folder of Quake 3 Arena.

I may have to use 3D Analyser to do this, if my graphics r that bad for Generation Arena.

I tested out al 3 kinds of maps on Generation by using the Console to get there.

q3dm12 - Quake 3 Arena map

q3q2dm8 - Quake 3 Arena Custom map (Quake 2 Deathmatch 8.)

doom2 - Generation Arena Map

The maps r ok. But some of the new objects from the map or weapons r bad and can't be seen. It's messing the Polly structor, or whatever it said, repeatly when I was typing a Quake 3 Arena cheat for the game.

cg_thirdperson (0 or 1) Third person activator.

It kept saying the polly problem when I'm on there. Even if someone did come and said something, I won't see it quickly enough to read it, because of the polly problem.

I also send the errorlog.txt to Phoenix so he can find whati the problem and how to fix it for my Vista.

If it is the Graphics card, I have to use 3D Analyzer to fix the graphics problem.

To be safe so that I won't get stuck from Generation Arean every single time I load Quake 3 itself. I'll copy all the stuff from Q3A at the Program Files and put it on my desktop. and place all the Generation stuff in there. Then rename the Q3A folder to Generation Arena and put that into Program Files. Now that I got 2 different Q3A, I should have no probelms going on Gens with the 3D Analyzer and Q3A without it.

This is a backup idea. If it is indeed the graphics card. I don't think it should be.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2009-04-08, 20:04 »

Looking at the error log, this stands out:

trying projectionShadow.TGA...
trying flareShader.TGA...
trying sun.TGA...
----- finished R_Init -----
trying white.TGA...
trying console.TGA...

These are all shaders in the gfx.shader file.  This implies that pak9_genv99e.pk3 is either missing or installed in the wrong place, or that some other .pk3 is interfering with the loading of the gfx.shader file somehow.  Let's start with the files and make sure they're all in the right place.

If Generations is installed correctly, you will have all these files in your generations folder:

FOLDERS
manual
rotations

PK3 FILES
pak9_genv99e.pk3
pak9_genv99f.pk3
zz_99e_CTF_mappack.pk3
zz_99e_ffa_mappack.pk3
zz_99e_ffa_mappack_fix.pk3

CONFIGURATION FILES
autoexec.cfg
doom.cfg
earth.cfg
full_ctf.cfg
gen_ctf.cfg
gen_ffa.cfg
gen_teamdm.cfg
gen_tourney.cfg
hook_ctf.cfg
motd.cfg
q3config.cfg (created after you first load Generations)
runes_ctf.cfg
sample_motd.cfg
slipgate.cfg
strogg.cfg

MISC FILES
manual.html
gen.ico
description.txt
readme.txt
readme_ctf.txt
readme_ffa.txt

OTHER
games.log (may or may not be present, either is fine)
qconsole.log (may or may not be present, either is fine)

If anything above is missing, or if there's anything else present other than these files, let me know, especially the .pk3 files.

rocketboy3005

Lost Soul

« Reply #19 on: 2009-04-08, 20:32 »

Ok. I'll look when I get back to my Apartment.

I'll be there at around 5:30 - 5:45 (depends on traffic.)

Then I'll get on and see what r the files that r outside the folder that I created and what is inside the gens folder at the same folder I created. If any of them r missing because of WinRAR or whatever, then I get a copy of what's missing from u guys. Or try to get out of the zip files.

I didn't get an error from WinRAR when I was extracting them. I don't know why I'm getting this sort of problem.

I'll also get on ustream when I get back at the apartment as well so that anyone can help. If it does continue, then I have no choice to copy the Q3A folder from Program Files and call it Generation Arena and use 3D Analyzer to test it out that way.

If that also fails, then I either have to suffer what I got or delete the mod.

I hope it ain't the second one. I really like the video and looks of it, I like the maps as well.

Well, I could also try to go in one of ur guy' room as well, but I don't know if the downloading program for it will work as fully as it suppose to be. I try the download program and it took so long, I quit right at PAK0.pk3

Here's how it goes.

All PAK files have 2 kb/sec

PAK3.pk3 - 1 min 30 sec
PAK2.pk3 - 1 min 30 sec
PAK1.pk3 - 1 hr 30 min
PAK0.pk3 - 4 hrs 30 min

I hope it doesn't do the same thing on Generation Arena, if I have to do it that way.

I know I have to turn on both Automatic downloading (from settings) and PunkBuster (from multiplayer) to get this to work.
« Last Edit: 2009-04-08, 20:40 by rocketboy3005 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: