2024-04-24, 04:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about remaking q1dm2  (Read 8330 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2009-10-10, 17:11 »

If noon has something against it i think im gonna start a new map project kinda missed q1dm2 Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2009-10-10, 22:22 by ReBoOt » Logged
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-10, 20:59 »

Even though Claustrophobopolis is my least favorite q1dm map, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a ReBoOt remake of it. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-10, 22:36 »

Well i started to draw the first brushes on the map but it will take awhile, yeah well i both hated and loved this map, loved it when things went smooth hated it when i got caught in all the traps Slipgate - Smile
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-10, 23:33 »

I think it could look very, very good with the right atmosphere and textures. Very dark and grizzly place, as I recall. I'm not really planning to do any map after tabq1dm5, though if something presents itself I might. Probably not a Quake map, though, so for whatever it's worth, it's all good with me.

The biggest reason why I didn't seriously consider remaking q1dm2 over q1dm5, is that I feel I'd have to model the big Jesus-image (texture would certainly be too flat, and it's too much of a center-piece to ignore), and that seemed like too much and too hard work for just one map.. What are you planning to do with it?

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-11, 11:55 »

Well yeah that's one of the problems, and there aint that many "Jesus" models but i think there is an Q3 model of Jesus thought i doubt the quality is that good really, so atm i dont know what to do about Jesus Slipgate - Laugh

Anyways only have like 1 room left on basic layout but during the work it struk me how "advanced" this map was built (for a quake 1 map), maybe there is alot of repetive textures but instead they went for geometry instead (take a look at the ceilings and you'll know what i mean.

Had to rebuild 2 areas due to them not matching, sometimes it's rly hard to figure out how things should be.
But i suppose it will be fun to remake this map thought this time i need to find a good matching texture set, that's the next problem!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2009-10-11, 13:56 »

You can ofcourse decompile the old dm2.bsp and have a look at it in a Quake map editor. I did something similar to get the scale and layout of rooms of dm5 correct. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2009-10-22, 17:28 »

Id released the .map files so I don't even think you need to decompile it anymore.

I'd love to see a good version of this map.  We had that old version and it just never really clicked.  As for the Jesus wall.. there are the Q3 map models that can be used, or something entirely different could go up there.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2009-10-22, 19:45 »

:O ID released the .map files? that's cool, yeah i rly think we do need a somewhat good verison of this map, i'll see if i get sometime on sunday and continue working on it. might release another beta of my dm3 remake aswell.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2009-10-22, 20:35 »

Yeah, I thought everyone saw Vorlonesque's post:

http://forums.wireheadstudios.org/index.php?topic=3093.0

The link to the source is broken, but you can get the map sources
here.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: