2024-04-20, 09:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: #27  (Read 8233 times)
MarneGator

Cacodemon

« on: 2009-11-05, 06:08 »

Somebody will hate me for this, but Yankees win!  Slipgate - Grin

-Veritas-
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2009-11-05, 18:25 »

i was in long island newyork at a Mcdonalds the morning after the Yankees beat the angels. I comment that at home our Mcdonalds didnt have Dr Pepper only Mr Pibb. When they found out i was from california i had to hear "go yankees! blah blah blah". When they were finished i informed them that we dont even like baseball in california anymore, or any other sports they enjoy on the eastern sea board such as ballet, womens golf or synchronized ball licking.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2009-11-05, 19:48 »

Yankees? They're worse than the Dallas Cowboys these days. Probably my most hated team in all of sports. Granted, I don't like the Phillies either (I'm from PA and dislike the 'home' teams.. really dunno why).. but it'd have been better than the Yanks winning. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
MarneGator

Cacodemon

« Reply #3 on: 2009-11-06, 00:41 »

I'm underwhelmed!  I had thought that every (American) on this forum would try and roast me and the Yankees through the 'net.
Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of (organized) sports, but having moved to NYC, I find pleasant to watch a game, any game, when I actually hang with the blokes at a pub, some bitters and crisps accompanying; it was all the more interesting seeing that my city was at the championship!  Oh, and for the record, I'm more of a Mets fan if for no other reason that I love underdogs.  And what underdogs!  Just compare the Yankees and Mets history!

-Veritas-
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2009-11-06, 02:16 »

Sports hold no interest for me.  I'm afraid I'm just not much of a spectator for such things.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2009-11-06, 04:12 »

you know i get the appeal of sports. Im not into them but i get it. What i dont get, is the appeal of professional team sports.
 Whats the logic in this team loyalty? i really cant see any reason to be "loyal" to any specific team. Because of where a team is located? Teams move! Because you like the players? They switch teams!. Because they win? Nobody wins forever. Because they lose? now what the hell kind of stupid reason is that?!. What are you loyal to?! the shirt?!.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2009-11-06, 08:14 »

Hit the ball! See the ball! fall asleep! Slipgate - Smile
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #7 on: 2009-11-06, 16:10 »

Baseball is more fun to watch when you're actually at the game, but it's at its best when actually playing.

As for team loyalty, I dunno. It is an interesting question too. I'd say most of it is probably from where a team is located. I fall into the opposite of that though.. where I'd rather see the home team lose because I never stop hearing about them. And since I live somewhere in the middle of the state, it effected both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. I don't like the sports teams from either city.

Other than that, I'd say everyone else seems to like the more mainstream teams that tend to win or at least make the playoffs every year.. like the Yankees, Cowboys, and Red Wings.

My own favorite teams were picked because of the players they had at the time. They caught my attention enough and the team caught on. Sure the players have been traded, retired, or even died since then.. but I dunno. I like seeing them win.. but I also tend to keep more of an eye on other teams when they're not, so I guess I'm not truly 'loyal' to them. The only exception to that is the LA Kings.. I make sure to keep up and see if they're at their rightful place at the bottom of the league. That said, this year is disappointing so far. At least they used to be the best at being the worst.. oh well.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2009-11-07, 02:19 »

Team loyalty, to me, is just an extension of tribal behavior, and sports in general mimic the old gladiatorial stadiums that the Greeks, Romans and the Maya, etc had.  Geography and tribalism are quite connected, so the feeling that a sports team in one's geographic area is "theirs" or that they "belong" to the particular team's fandom is, from my perspective, purely a throwback tendency that, in this time, has few other outlets.  It's similar to people living in a particular city felling like they are "part" of that city or town, even though they personally know or are blood related to almost no other occupants.  As globalist as the so-called civilized world pretends to be, human nature has not changed so much that these feelings and tendencies of more local connection are forgotten completely.  I state this as neither criticism nor praise, but simply as an observation that may help better explain this particular behavior.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2009-11-07, 03:18 »

I state this as neither criticism nor praise, but simply as an observation that may help better explain this particular behavior.

Whilst I understand and accept your position, you'd still probably get your head kicked in round where I live Slipgate - Tongue

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2009-11-18, 21:21 »

Eh?  I can see that now...

Noob: "Hey look, it's the fabulous Phoenix bird!"
Punk: "It looks half dead, how old is that thing anyway?"
Thug: "Naw, it's just some dumb furry dat looks like a bird."
Punk: "You sure?  Looks pretty real to me."
Thug" "Who cares, let's go beat him up!"
Punk: "Yeah!"
Noob: "Woohoo!"

Fitting commentary on the human condition.   Slipgate - Disappointed

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2009-11-19, 22:09 »

Most people round this neck of the woods wouldn't even know what a furry is Slipgate - Laugh Whilst furryism(?) in itself would probably invite a kicking, merely displaying the ability to construct a more intelligent argument is a sure fire way to end up in intensive care, particularly where sport is concerned, and extra particularly where Scottish sport is concerned Slipgate - Wink *

*I live in the north of Ireland, go figure.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: