2024-04-19, 12:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generations server config file  (Read 4789 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2010-10-03, 23:00 »

Anyone has a decent config file for a gen server laying around? feeling abit lazy to make one myself! as i finaly got a few hours over im bringing my server back to life, and i need to use my 100mbit internet connection for something Slipgate - Smile

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-04, 23:19 »

My server .cfg is on Idlebot, which is down for maintenence until I can figure out whether my standby power unit just needed a replacement battery (still charging the spare) or if the unit has failed completely.  Once that's fixed I'll post my server config.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-05, 22:31 »

Ah crap when computers fails Slipgate - Sad That whould be nice indeed! Hope ya get some life in idlebot!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-07, 14:55 »

Idlebot appears fine.  It's the standby power unit.  The battery has a faulty cell.  The spare battery I had is also dead, so I'll have to acquire a new unit.  I have the server running without any backup power for now.

For the .cfg, here's what I use:

Command line options:

+set dedicated 2 +set fs_game generations +set net_port 27967 +exec server.cfg

Contents of server.cfg:

set sv_fps "40"
set sv_maxrate "8000"
set sv_maxclients "8"
set bot_minplayers "3"
set g_spskill "4"
set sv_strictauth "0"
set rcon_password "whatever"
exec gen_ffa.cfg

For the command line options, +set dedicated 2 sets the server to be visible over the internet.  +set net_port specifies the port you want the server to use.  I use 27967 as opposed to the default 27960 so that I don't run into a conflict with my normal Q3.  The only rule with this is to avoid using ports used by other games.  Otherwise it's optional.

For the server.cfg options, you can edit these as desired, but I'll explain each of the options one at a time.

sv_fps controls how often the server calculates physics, weapon impacts, and sends the information to the client.  It is defaulted at 20 in Q3.  For .99f it can run at 20, but 1.0 will have it set to a minimum of 40 from within the executable.  For .99f, using 40 results in smoother play at the expense of some network overhead.  For 1.0 it is required so that Doom's weapons can function and animate properly.  I recommend 40 for all-around better play.  Setting to 40 also shaves 25 milliseconds off of client-side snapshot processing.

sv_maxrate enforces a maximum /rate value for clients.  Default LAN rate is 25000.  Depending on your internet connection, you may prefer higher or lower values.  Lower than 5000 is bad, and 25000 is the maximum.  I have mine set to 8000 because I'm running three servers:  One .99f server, the Beta Test server, and a Quake 2 Rocket Arena server.  My upload speed is not the greatest so I cap it at something sane for my connection.  The lower rate setting also helps me identify packet flooding if I do something stupid in the code.

sv_maxclients controls the maximum number of clients - real or bots - that can be on the server.  Set as desired.

bot_minplayers will cause the specified number of bots to spawn in and play automatically.  If a real player joines, a bot will be kicked to make room for the player.  If bot_minplayers is set to 3 and 2 real players join, two bots will be kicked so you will have two real players and one bot.  If another person joins, the last bot will be kicked.  If yet another person joins, you'll have 4 real players.  If everyone leaves, you'll have 3 bots on the server again.

g_spskill determines how tough the bots are when they join automatically.  5 is nightmare, 4 is hardcore, 3 is hurt me plenty, etc.  Set as desired.

sv_strictauth forces the client to authorize its CD key with the Id Master server.  This can be problematic if the client's system cannot communicate with the Id Master server.  If the connection fails, the client will not be permitted to play, but will receive the message "Invalid CD-KEY/MISSING CD KEY?".  I've had this happen myself in the past with a very legitimate copy of Quake 3 Arena.  I leave this set to 0 to avoid this headache.

rcon_password is the remote console password.  "whatever" is not my actual password.  If you set an rcon_password you can access your server remotely from the command line.  Just type:
/rcon_password whatever
/rcon_address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx (your server's IP address)
/rcon [command]

Useful /rcon commands are:
/rcon status
/rcon fraglimit
/rcon timelimit
/rcon exec configurationfile.cfg

Any server command can be executed using /rcon.  If you use the /rcon_address command you don't even have to be playing on the server.  You can just remotely control it from the console.

exec gen_ffa.cfg  This line starts the map rotation.  You can use whatever rotation file you like from the default ones, or craft your own.  You can also randomize maps or make custom map options.  I'd start with the default for now and then experiment once you know everything works.  Once your server is running let me know and I'll connect in some time and test it out.  Hopefully all this chatter is helpful!
 Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-09, 10:12 »

Right cool thanks pho Slipgate - Smile will have it up and running sometime this weekend!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: