2024-03-28, 20:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Duke is back. For Real. Release Date Confirmed.  (Read 23492 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2011-05-25, 10:07 »

http://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/645/33/
IT'S GOLD, BABY!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #21 on: 2011-05-31, 16:54 »

Well aliens can still steal all teh copies and delay it even further...but yeah now it's gold for real Slipgate - Smile
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #22 on: 2011-06-06, 00:00 »

Just finished the demo. It made me happy. Slipgate - Smile

I'm a little disappointed that they've opted to include a "hide to regenerate health" mechanic over traditional HP pickups. Furthermore, you're limited to carrying a maximum of two weapons (and pipe-bombs?) at any given time. An especially odd choice given the insane amount of weapons available and their highly varied uses.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2011-06-06, 07:37 »

Short demo, but very fun.  I'll have to get used to some of the ruder moments of the game, but that's always been part of Duke's humor.

I wouldn't mind having a full arsenal either, but I think I understand what they were going for here.  Playing old-style FPS games where you could carry 10 guns and all the ammo for them it's easy to become a one-gun wonder (Quake), or have every situation covered all the time (Quake 2).  Instead of having to think about which out of 10 different guns to switch to you'll be making the decision on which guns to use when you pick up a weapon.  If you run out of ammo you might have to pick up a weapon you didn't intend to use.  It switches things up a bit.  I've played F.E.A.R. and Legendary, both using this mechanic and it actually works decently in those games.  Besides, I'm sure if mod support is available someone will make a mod where you can carry all the guns at once.  Slipgate - Wink

The "hide and heal" mechanic seems to be commonplace now.  I blame Call of Duty and Playstation for making this popular.  I think the shift to this vs health kits is to keep the players moving forward.  Doubling back for a health kit is something us oldschool gamers are very used to but I think a lot of the newer generation doesn't have the patience for it.  Regenerating health keeps the game moving forward.  It makes it harder to "tank" on health and armor, or to get put down to 1 hp and then run into a tough fight that you have to do over and over because there's no health left on the level.  The checkpoint system makes it harder to avoid that situation since you can't go back and load a game from an older save slot, so the regenerative health was probably done to avoid that.  Quicksave and multiple save slots avoids that situation, but it seems a lot of devs want to keep the game mechanics the same across platforms.  Since consoles are the lowest common denominator that's where the standard is set.  Personally I wish the console market would die in a fire, but that's not my decision to make.  The hackers are doing a number on Sony though, so who knows.

Of course, this is a demo and not the full game.  I'm not sure what optimizations for the PC might be present so we'll have to wait and see on that.  I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the game.

FistMarine

« Reply #24 on: 2011-06-06, 18:15 »

Is the demo released? I gotta grab soon. Too bad, in next 2 weeks I have final exams. Slipgate - Sad I will check it out later.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2011-06-07, 01:17 »

The demo is available to First Access Club members, which are those that have pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever or purchased Borderlands during the promotion.  I don't think it's been released to the general public yet.

I've also read on the Gearbox forums that this was the demo that was shown at PAX, and some things may have been changed in the game play since the demo was released.  Maybe we'll get some extra weapon-carrying capacity?  We'll know in about a week once the real game is shipped.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #26 on: 2011-06-07, 15:31 »

As a man who like duke, has long lived with a great passion for booze cigars and firearms, i'm glad to see duke Hasn't  given in to the urge to modernize.  I would hate to here him say " don't shake it baby, your a person with your own opinions and dreams and i don't view you as an object ".
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #27 on: 2011-06-07, 15:47 »

The demo is available to First Access Club members, which are those that have pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever or purchased Borderlands during the promotion.  I don't think it's been released to the general public yet.

It has been if you know where to look. Unless someone has moral issues with torrenting a demo? Slipgate - Tongue
MarneGator

Cacodemon

« Reply #28 on: 2011-06-08, 02:10 »

Haha!  Woodsman  Slipgate - Thumbs up!
Thank you Duke, thank you for allowing a respite from the trappings of civil society, for allowing me to wallow in elements rather more primeval...
Wait... should I be writing this?!

-Veritas-
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2011-06-08, 09:39 »

Woods: that's the thing about Duke.  Nobody tells the "king" what to do, and he makes absolutely no apologies for who he is.  While Duke may possess an ego larger than Mount Everest (which he climbed and then base-jumped to K-2) he's essentially completely honest.  Honesty is a virtue, as is saving the world from alien invaders, so if Duke has a few vices... well, so did Churchill, so you'll get no complaints from me.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Vamp:  How can someone steal what is free?
  Slipgate - Wink

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #30 on: 2011-06-08, 14:15 »

oh and by the way duke and i also where the same size shoe, which means i also have a mighty foot.  Doom - Thumbs Up!
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #31 on: 2011-06-10, 06:54 »

I still don't believe this game is actually coming out. In fact, I could be playing a copy I purchase myself in a few days, and I still wouldn't believe it...

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2011-06-10, 10:14 »

Wow, long time no squawk.  You need to visit here more often!  Doom - Exclamation

I know the feeling, it will be kind of odd seeing that "wow, it's real".  I'll have pretty much zero time to play it right after I get it, too.  I've been waiting this long, a few extra days won't hurt much I suppose.
  Slipgate - Surprised

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #33 on: 2011-06-10, 12:55 »

Well the reviews i've read so far has been less than kind to the new duke game, but then again i dont rly care i just want to play it for the fun!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2011-06-10, 14:15 »

I don't pay attention to review sites.  IGN and Gamespot absolutely ripped apart Legendary, giving it the lowest marks I've ever seen, and it's a fairly decent game.  It's no Doom 3, or Half-Life 2, but it was fun and I've replayed it several times and never got tired of it.  I've had other games I like get ripped up by reviews as well, and games that I've absolutely hated have gotten top marks at times, so I just ignore reviews unless they come from actual gamers that I know, like you or Tabun, or other regulars here.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #35 on: 2011-06-10, 15:56 »

Considering the game has been in development for something like 15 years, I expect the idiot reviewers to look at the game as though it's supposedly been aging like a fine wine and will judge is on that basis. Which is stupid. I don't expect the game to be the best FPS ever made, but it looks to be a Duke-ish romp which is really all anyone needs from it. To even have the game coming out after constant delays, three developers and at least one lawsuit... the game is a service to the fans at this point.

Phoenix: I've been lurking for a while, which I'm sure you've probably noticed once in a while. Life, you might say, has been interesting for the last few years. Nothing bad, but a lot of enjoyment has been sucked away for a while. Things seem to be on the track of behaving now... so I hope to get back to some of the things I'd enjoyed doing before I graduated from college.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #36 on: 2011-06-12, 14:54 »

I think alot of the bad reviews seem to be written by people who believe that gamers have somehow become more sophisticated since Duke Nukem 3d came out.  I would argue that gaming in general has become far less sophisticated, hell we don't even have to open doors for ourselves anymore. Regenerative health and limitless ammo have made first person shooters far easier for the 18 year old pot head rap listening, crowd who play world of warcraft and call of duty and call themselves gamers.  ( i spit on you! ).  Sites like IGN, who shout from the tallest mountain tops, the praises of any game that comes out of studios of Rockstar or Square Enix as if they dropped from the ass of God himself, are the same kind of retards who nominated 50 cent bullet proof for game of the year on spike tv.
  I say long live duke, and long live the old guard gaming geeks who remember when shooters were not just watered down idleness enablers for  worthless human beings too stupid to give jobs to. Oh and to hell with the two weapon carry limit, to hell with master chief and his stupid fans who wear latex body armor at quakecon. Its sporking texas in august your gonna die retards!.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2011-06-13, 03:51 »

Now I remember what I missed most about having you around, Woods!  Excellent rant.  I wholeheartedly approve.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #38 on: 2011-06-13, 07:09 »

I just think it's sad that things that have been around in FPS games for years are now suddenly disappearing more and more. Things like the console and dedicated servers. Makes no sense to me, but I guess the console crowd wins the day in the long run. I hate having to rummage around through numerous .ini files to do something as simple as change the game to a proper fov.. HATE IT!

I haven't given Duke Forever a try yet, but as I said before, with 2K Games and Gearbox's names attached to it.. I wouldn't be surprised if those features weren't there.

As for the bad reviews, I see most of that centered on the console versions. The PC version got 76/100 on Metacritic and 80% on GameRankings. Considering how ratings are SUPPOSED to go.. those aren't bad ratings at all.
(As an aside, that's another thing I hate.. anything below 80% is automatically terrible and not worth playing).

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2011-06-13, 12:28 »

I know what you mean.  I bought a game called Legendary, played it, thought it was pretty decent, and later found out IGN and Gamespot had given it 2.5 and 3.5 out of 10, and just about everything they ripped it on was not true or should not have been an issue.  I looked at the other games that were being released at the time (Gears of War 2, Bioshock, Far Cry 2, CoD: World at War, and Left 4 Dead) and I thought, hmm, who had money to pay for reviews... Microsoft, Activision, Valve, some big names there.  I got to thinking about how review sites make their money and I decided that since my experience with a game they ripped to shreds was pretty good that I decided to never look at reviews from said sites.  That's not the first time I've seen bad reviews of games I liked, but it's the most extreme example I've seen to date.  I remember absolutely hating PC Accelerator magazine because they ripped a few games that I really enjoyed and I was rather pleased when PC Gamer decided to shut down their "sister publication" a month later.

Dedicated servers and command-line consoles are something we do need.  I'll tweak an .ini file if I have to but I prefer to have access to the cvars from inside the engine.  It makes it a lot easier to tweak the game for maximum enjoyment, especially when you don't have to exit and restart the program every time you want to test a change.  I have to do that enough with development, I'd rather not have to do that just to tweak a game.  What I don't understand is why dedicated server is falling by the wayside.  I might bug LeeMon or Kenny about that one and see if they have some inside knowledge.
  Doom - Exclamation

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: