2024-03-29, 11:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server  (Read 5421 times)
fourier

Hans Grosse

« on: 2011-05-19, 02:41 »

I'm probably going to be shutting down the server box in the end of June.  I'm just getting a little tired of jumping through all the hoops to pay the guy the full month (it's usually a bunch of small payments that are mostly trial and error until enough work) to the guy, and I don't play quake anymore.

Sorry guys.
MarneGator

Cacodemon

« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-19, 22:33 »

So when 1.0 comes about, you won't be around to destroy and generally humiliate us?  Slipgate - Wink  Too bad about the server, though.  A transient virtual home, lost.

-Veritas-
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-20, 02:11 »

Sorry to see the server going away, but if your host is being a kk'r'kki I can certainly understand.  Slipgate - Sad

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-20, 06:00 »

Sorry Marne, I don't see myself getting back into quake (even considering getting rid of the trinitron).  Quake just ends up taking time which I could be investing in working on hobby projects or just in general being constructive and accomplishing something.  I think it's fine for a short blast, but I honestly can never do that with quake -- it quickly spirals out and ends up consuming way too much time.

If you guys are using the server, I certainly could put up one with gameservers, just let me know.  That won't work with 1.0, though, at least not without contacting them and working something out.  Maverick at noghost probably wouldn't have a problem with it, though.

Yeah, the main issue is I just get really tired having to pay 5 dollars here, 7 there, etc.  Then seeing a few of them not end up working, so I have to wait for refunds, try again, etc.  It's just a real pain.  Still, a quad core KVM server, with 3tb of bandwidth, 3 IPs, 3gb of ram on a 100mbps port for $65 a month is just such a good deal I've kept it for this long just because of the "bargain-hunter" in me, and because I think I'll use it at some point for something more.

However, after working with Xen PV stuff, I see no reason I'd need fully dedicated (what the server originally was) or KVM (what it is now) as the cost isn't really justified for whatever web services I may deploy personally in the future.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: