2024-04-18, 08:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 1 Reboot?  (Read 7052 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2011-06-20, 18:12 »

http://planetquake.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=165069

I just read this, and I seriously hope Id is considering it.  What do you guys and gals think?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-20, 18:49 »

I for one think it's a great idea. I still play Quake today. I would definitely buy it if it ever came to fruition.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-20, 20:58 »

YES! The first Quake game has some of the best potential of any of Id's properties. So long as they stick with the Lovecraftian horror, I'm game.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-21, 00:02 »

Knowing the state of gaming these days a new Quake 1 game would have hours of plot, regenerating health, and a ton of weapons taken from real life...

I'd say something about BROWN and BLOOM but Quake 1 pretty much invented brown.
MarneGator

Cacodemon

« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-21, 02:19 »

A Quake reboot would solve the world's ills... make it!  I think the better question is what gameplay direction id should take on this potential project.  I vote for as much purity to the original's play style as possible... like an expansion pack using the best of today's graphics.

-Veritas-
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-21, 08:55 »

From what I've seen of what they're doing with Rage, I don't think Id is going to fall victim to consolitis.  You'll have the option to use regenerating health or health packs, ability to save anywhere you want is there, and you can carry all your guns at once.  In console ports you'll have 4 weapons on quick select and you can swap those out for any guns in your inventory.  If Id does a Quake 1 reboot, and Id themselves handle it instead of farming it off to Raven, it will come out good.  If they hand it off to someone else and they pull a Quake 4, then I'll be pretty peeved.  I'm hoping Id will want to do it themselves after Doom 4 and Rage are gold.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-21, 10:25 »

A Q1 reboot would be excellent. My only concerns would be in the title (in that I sincerely hope it would be called something other than 'Quake V'.. seriously, the 'Quake series' is messed up enough without adding a Q1 reboot into it) and my overall pessimism of anything that gets rebooted for a newer generation. Doom 3 wasn't bad.. but it wasn't 'Doom', to me anyway. I just have a feeling that if the same were to happen with Quake, my thoughts would be the same.

All speculation on my part, of course.. but.. *shrug*

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-21, 21:59 »

Well there's always the option of just calling it "Quake" since a lot of other series have abandoned numbering their games...

And yeah, After Q4 and ETQW I'd hope that id has learned better than to let other people touch their intellectual properties.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-22, 03:05 »

And yeah, After Q4 and ETQW I'd hope that id has learned better than to let other people touch their intellectual properties.

Except for Wirehead, of course.  Slipgate - Smirk

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-22, 15:08 »

I could go for a big-budget version of Generations Arena. It'd be the only sensible way to create a sequel to Quake3's universe. Slipgate - Wink
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-22, 17:05 »

All I can think of is Dr. Betruger saying "If I had a larger, more competent staff and bigger budget..." Doom - Exclamation

Seeing Gen done with the detail present in the Arenas: Episodes would be epic.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2011-06-26, 05:24 »

What do you guys and gals think?

I think this needs to happen sooner rather than later. Quake the First is still my favorite FPS, and I'd love to see an Id-done remake/reimagining of it.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-05, 01:00 »

Good to hear, at last, but I'm cautious about modern shooters.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: