2024-03-19, 03:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Generations arena wishlist  (Read 91881 times)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #60 on: 2012-04-10, 03:57 »

The PS2 Quake 3 campaign was way better than original, I definitely liked their try at rpg style. The max evolved Doom guy was epic.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #61 on: 2012-04-10, 17:09 »

Any photos of the Vadrigar then? I can't seem to come up with much.

I wouldn't mind more maps, especially semi-official ones. All of the Dreamcast maps can be had one way or another. They are actually among my favorite 1v1 levels. Most of the newer Quake Live maps can be found converted over as well. I certainly wouldn't complain about the few new maps from Q3 Revolution... or Quake Arena Arcade for that matter.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #62 on: 2012-04-10, 18:01 »

Some of the Quake Live maps are actually Q3A maps that have been adapted and included in Quake Live.  Many can be found on the LvL site.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #63 on: 2012-04-10, 21:02 »

Of course I know some of the more popular ones are older retrofits. Blood Run, Aerowalk, etc. There were a couple that I hadn't seen anywhere else though. The Asylum, Quarantine, etc.

Actually, I prefer some of the changes made to the vanilla maps even. The only downside is those pesky ads everywhere. They really kill the mood.  Slipgate - Smile
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #64 on: 2012-04-10, 23:31 »

Any photos of the Vadrigar then? I can't seem to come up with much.

I wouldn't mind more maps, especially semi-official ones. All of the Dreamcast maps can be had one way or another. They are actually among my favorite 1v1 levels. Most of the newer Quake Live maps can be found converted over as well. I certainly wouldn't complain about the few new maps from Q3 Revolution... or Quake Arena Arcade for that matter.
Here's a video, this is the only good thing I could find of Vadrigar:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXeti5M-Wo&feature
I'd love remakes from the Dreamcast, XBLA, and PS2 versions. The QAA for xbox had some great maps; Hazmat and Catalyst were chaotic.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #65 on: 2012-04-11, 17:54 »

Cool. Definitely not a reskinned Klesk then, lol. I don't know if I really like the way the Vadrigar looks though. There's something about the style that rubs me the wrong way and seems little out of place. Oh well Slipgate - Disappointed
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #66 on: 2012-04-11, 20:03 »

Definitely agree with with you, I thought Vadrigar seemed mostly cool all around, but the face area was very unattractive.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #67 on: 2012-04-13, 01:15 »

Also worthy of note is that Reaper and Mistress are unlockable characters in Q3R (course on the PC you can just download 'em, and one of its levels is in the EA map pack as EADM6).

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #68 on: 2012-04-13, 15:16 »

Interesting on having to fight the Arena Master.  I hadn't paid any attention to Q3R since it's on a console.  I do love the aiming difficulty inherent with the PS2 controller.  That would be an easy twitch-shot on the PC.  Slipgate - Tongue

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #69 on: 2012-04-16, 23:35 »

I recently re-played parts of the PS2 game, My memory is as accurate as I said nevertheless I find it interesting that the actual final fight is after you kill the vadrigar by the way, weren't the vadrigar a species or a group of people, not a single person?
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #70 on: 2012-04-17, 03:45 »

Yeah, so that confused me when I got to the final part. Maybe there should be a Q3 campaign where you kill vadrigar with cool weapons and featuring cool monsters.

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #71 on: 2012-04-21, 06:56 »

I thought you can fight him on the XBL version of Q3. I might have to get it to see. I've been reluctant to get it. Mostly because I play Generations. But it's worth a grab if it'd help. But I don't think I'll be able to grab pics off it though.

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #72 on: 2012-04-21, 22:51 »

I thought you can fight him on the XBL version of Q3. I might have to get it to see. I've been reluctant to get it. Mostly because I play Generations. But it's worth a grab if it'd help. But I don't think I'll be able to grab pics off it though.
I spent some time playing the game, I got to the ending, it was Xaero you fought, then when you beat it, it gave you a different ending than the original.

Also, there was "side" levels you could do, one of them was called "Generations". I'm pretty sure it was hinting at the mod, I was very surprised when I played it.  Slipgate - Surprised

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #73 on: 2012-05-31, 05:49 »

Namely the final "boss" fight where If I remember right you had to fight a few other opponents in different small arenas before teleporting to the final arena that had one of the vadrigar you had to kill...

You are.  The PS2 version features a singleplayer mode called Skirmish in which everyone has a limited number of lives and enemies must be faced, one-on-one, in their own mini-arena.  I loved that gametype but sadly, no other shooter has replicated it.

Also, there was "side" levels you could do, one of them was called "Generations". I'm pretty sure it was hinting at the mod, I was very surprised when I played it.  Slipgate - Surprised

Spork, really?  God, I wish I could say I had a hand in that but no, I didn't.  I just did some brief certification and multiplayer stress-tests on the title.

But back on topic, much of what I would like to see in Gen has already been implemented or is at least planned.  If I really had to dig, I would say the aforementioned Skirmish mode as well as another mode from Quake 3 Revolution called Possession.

Possession is a gametype in which a flag spawns somewhere in the level (usually at a power-up spawn) and a player must possess the flag for a set period of time in order to win the match.  I believe the time held is also cumulative making for a very focused and very messy free-for-all.  (There is also a team variant for Possession but that's kind of missing the point in my mind.)

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #74 on: 2012-05-31, 10:29 »

Skirmish would make for a much better variant on tournament mode but I have no doubt that coding such a thing for multiple players would be a nightmare.

I say it'd be better simply because it would mean everyone can play instead of everyone watching two people fight.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #75 on: 2012-05-31, 20:26 »

Possession is a gametype in which a flag spawns somewhere in the level (usually at a power-up spawn) and a player must possess the flag for a set period of time in order to win the match.  I believe the time held is also cumulative making for a very focused and very messy free-for-all.  (There is also a team variant for Possession but that's kind of missing the point in my mind.)

This is based on the old Q1 mod called Qball.  This later evolved into Catch the Chicken.  Similar concept all around.  Whoever holds the Qball, chicken, flag, whatever, cannot attack or is restricted to a melee weapon.  Points are only scored while holding the item in question.  I have planned for a while to implement a Qball-style game mode, along with one-flag CTF and possibly a few others like Clan Arena.

FistMarine

« Reply #76 on: 2012-06-01, 06:33 »

I think the catch the chicken mod sounds a lot better than QBall.
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #77 on: 2012-06-04, 01:39 »

How about literal catch the chicken? Slipgate - Thumbs up!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #78 on: 2012-06-04, 14:54 »

I loved the Catch the Chicken mod, especially because of its added sounds and the little feathers that gave away the carrier's position. Good times were had by all.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #79 on: 2012-06-06, 10:05 »

I loved the Catch the Chicken mod, especially because of its added sounds and the little feathers that gave away the carrier's position. Good times were had by all.

God, I completely forgot about that mod!  That was great stuff!

This is based on the old Q1 mod called Qball.  This later evolved into Catch the Chicken.  Similar concept all around.  Whoever holds the Qball, chicken, flag, whatever, cannot attack or is restricted to a melee weapon.

Ah, I didn't realize it was patterned after Qball as well.  (I have the mod but I've never had an opportunity to play it.)  I think Possession differed in that the player holding the flag could still fight back but I would be fine if he or she could not.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: