2024-04-19, 19:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad map decompiler (Don't download this utility)  (Read 6724 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2003-09-09, 08:07 »

If anyone's been considering downloading the Matchstick bsp decompiler recently posted on Planetquake, I would strongly urge caution unless you like hard to track down Windows software errors.  I just spent 3 hours trying to fix my system after trying to see if I could get a clean .map file for zv4q3.  Imagine my surprise when I ended up with IE not working right and an RCP stub error after I installed this utility.  I got it fixed, but this whole mess was a result of the fact that this utility's setup program modifies several Windows files.  I never got the map to convert either.  I don't know why he wrote the installer like this, but messing with system files is a Bad Thing™, and made for one unhappy bird.  I don't know if this affects 2k or XP, but it's up to you if you feel like messing with it.  As it turns out, the program is only a shell to send commands to q3map2.exe anyway, so unless you feel like trashing your system and losing functionality in IE I'd advise steering clear of it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-09-11, 03:33 »

Update:  Jube was able to forward my email to the author of the utility, and here is his response:

Im very sorry that it caused so much problems. I submitted version 1.0.1 to fileplanet 1 minute ago. v1.0.1 does NOT overwrite any system files. The program that i used to make setup.exe asked me if i wanted to put it in and i thought yes was a good answer.

Nice to see he took action to fix that so quickly.  Now, Microsoft could learn a thing or two here.  Thumbs up![/color]

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: