2024-03-29, 13:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New version some minor requests  (Read 10076 times)
Kervan

Dopefish

« on: 2011-12-14, 03:38 »

Hi guys Slipgate - Smile
Havent posted since 2010(original post by me from 2010 was here http://forums.wireheadstudios.org/index.php?topic=3763.0)

Since then, even tho i havent posted - i am still waiting to see this outstanding mod being updated and actually play it with my buds.
Since my post back from 2010 i've actually understood that i was wrong when requesting promode physics for all classes - totally wrong approach when dealing with such a well balanced 'each class has its own physics' idea.
Now i understand that actually all that is needed to start playing this (and also to be interested for us to host a 24/7/365 server) is:

1) Implemention of ClanArena gametype
-all items + all weapons dissapear from current map, i.e a player can only use healt+armor+weapons which are given to him from the start of each round. Thats basicly 200health + 200armor usually in all clanarena gametypes. What about the weapon setup for each generation - i think you know better, how much of each weapon to give for each generation (just carefull with bfg, usually this weapon is not given in this gametype because its too op when given from start, but maybe 1 ammo would do, would be perfect if the startweapon setup could be tweaked in server cfg). Tho i can help with quake3 setup for such gametype. Usually thats alot (like 100) rockets, 10rails, 15-20grenades, ~50plasma, 50-100machinegun, 5-10 shotgun, for got how much lightning..i think just enough to do 3 kills in one round with only it. As for other generations - i dont know, must be something alike (i.e lots of rockets/nades to be able to trickjump alot, since thats very fast gametype...etc).
-featuring 2 teams (so player chooses which one to join before the round start)
-featuring votable (callvote ...) noselfdamage=1/0 and noteamdamage=1/0 variables ! Though for clanarena gametype those variables will be used with 1 mostly. This, in my opinion, is what will make this VERY addictive with such a mod, because there are so many new weapons to explore for quake3 osp guys, who mastered all the trickjumping stuff with standart rocket, plasma, nades. But This mod offers so many new weapons that its just natural that exploring all the possible new tricks on old maps - with new weapons = will be tons of fun
-addition of votable (callvote ...) startrespawn=1/0 variable (works like this: if startrespawn=0, when the warmup period before round start ends you can continue moving without being spawned somewhere on the map;    if startrespawn=1, when warmup period before round start ends, you (and all players) spawn on a random respawn point of the map)

2) (totally optional request)
-To suit the promode physics addicts maybe it is possible to add 2nd quake-3 theme generation into the mod? everything would be just the same like in current quake3 generation, but with promode physics (aircontrol enabled)!

And thats it!, simple as that!
Thank you guys for this modding masterpiece and good luck.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-14, 04:52 by Kervan » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-14, 10:08 »

I'm assuming by Promode you mean CPMA?  We can't do that for a few reasons.  First, it's outside the scope of this mod.  The mod is about the original games, not alternative physics mods of the original games.  Second, Promode is its own project.  We can't just use their stuff without permission.  Third... even if we could use their stuff and wanted to, my understanding of how Arqon coded CPMA involved removing Pmove and completely rewriting it.  Pmove is the code section that handles player movement, weapon timing, etc.  Generations depends very heavily on code in Pmove.  It's simply not feasible to do.

The Clan Arena stuff is possible.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kervan

Dopefish

« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-14, 10:37 »

no, by promode i only mean physics(aircontrol enabled), not a whole mod like cpma.
there is vq3 (no aircontrol) (heres an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyilI4Pdr8M , notice how he needs to stop, to turn in other direction - thats because there is no aircontrol)

and promode(means aircontrol enabled) is like the opposite to vq3 (heres an example of 'promode' that i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5XDVT3bKuQ )  actually this is called 'cpm physics' in defrag, but when playing quake3 osp mod, votable command to enable aircontrol is called 'callvote promode 1', so thats why i said 'promode' instead of 'cpm'. I do NOT ask for cpm physics for all generations, i asked if its possible to introduce 7th (if im not mistaken, correct me if im wrong) generation into this mod, which would be same good old quake3 based one (you can just copy everything from the current 'quake3 based one' which is already in generations arena, just being able to jump on cpm physics, while the vq3 one would still be selectable. The difference between two generations could be that new 'cpm' one would have NO bfg whatsoever, and old vq3 based one would still have it. So new one would be the 'runner' quake3 class, and old one would be damaging one.

to sum up what i just wrote, concerning my 2nd request about 'promode' - actually i asked if its possible to introduce +1 quake3 selectable generation into the generations arena mod, which would use cpm physics to move, instead of vq3 ones which is currently used by a quake3 generation in this mod. Actually such a generation could have 1 slight difference comparing to 'vq3 physics q3 generation' (which is currently present in mod) - cpm based one could have no bfg avaliable to use, would make sense since bfg is not usable on any competitive maps, and good old vq3-generation could have bfg.
sorry for confusing, i hope we understand each other Slipgate - Smile

Anyways, this alone
Clan Arena stuff is possible.
will make me and like 10-20 of my buds (atleast) - play this mod like 12/7 Slipgate - Laugh Can't wait to try out Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2011-12-14, 10:56 by Kervan » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-14, 11:32 »

I wasn't sure about the promode as many people mean CPMA when they say promode.

After watching the video... Creating a class with that kind of movement capability would be a huge balance killer.  That's not the kind of game play that Gen is about.  Sorry, but my answer has to be a firm "no" on that one.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: