2024-03-29, 11:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3: BFG Edition  (Read 49693 times)
FistMarine

« Reply #80 on: 2012-10-26, 19:37 »

-The secret levels of Doom 2 (MAP31 and MAP32) have been censored! They have removed every texture from Wolfenstein (because of Germany) and all the Nazi Soldiers have been replaced by the pistol zombies. Also MAP31 name is now IDKFA and MAP32 is Keen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1snCRIl16ks
I saw that video before you linked it. Slipgate - Wink
Fortunately there are already unofficial patches which restore both the health and the Wolf3D levels to their original glory. Shame that it's come to that though.
That's awesome! But I still haven't bought Doom Collectors Edition, neither normal Doom 3.
I have bought Quake 3 Arena from eBay and I'm waiting for delivery to come at my house. After that, I will buy the two mentioned above but will be hard to find normal Doom 3 as the BFG Edition replaced the normal Doom 3 everywhere! Doom - Huh?

EDIT: Another reason why to NOT buy the BFG Edition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv1nKtRH4xE&feature=plcp
Apparently the lost missions are just reused maps from Doom 3 campaign. It was recorded by same guy with the video above.
Also bonus video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mR7XObfpMs&feature=plcp
Nostalgia... Slipgate - Grin
I miss those good old days.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-26, 19:42 by FistMarine » Logged
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #81 on: 2012-10-27, 02:20 »

Yeah, I spotted a LOT of copypasta in the Lost Mission, not least of all:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That said, I still enjoyed it, and when you consider the fact that it's £25 for basically the Doom equivalent of the Orange box, it's not so bad.

PC-wise, I'd still recommend the original versions over the BFG Edition, though. The blink-and-you-miss load times don't make up for the rather questionable changes.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #82 on: 2012-10-27, 17:00 »

I suppose I'm not missing anything by passing on this one then.  I suppose if you never had any of the games it's decent, but for those of us who have the originals... maybe this should have been named the BFD edition:  Big Freakin' Deal?  Doom - Huh?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #83 on: 2012-10-30, 13:13 »

It really does seem to be aimed at people who never got to play the original Doom 3 properly, be it because they had an uncooperative PC at the time or their only console solution was the terribad Xbox-the-first port... it's too bad, really.

And I still don't understand why TNT Evilution and Plutonia haven't had a proper showing on consoles. This would have been the perfect opportunity for that. I guess Plutonia, especially, might be too challenging for the average gamer today..?

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #84 on: 2012-11-01, 07:04 »

Couple comments:

The copy-pasta nature of the Lost Missions is terrible!  I will probably hold off on purchasing the BFG Edition until it's much cheaper now.

I have no idea why the red crosses were altered for DOOM 1 and DOOM 2 but it was probably a legal issue like scalliano said.  I don't remember being aware of the change or there being a bug in the database for it when I worked on DOOM 2 XBLA.  So I'm very sorry if I played any part in that and it was avoidable.

Regarding the censorship of Nazi propaganda and the removal of the SS in DOOM 2, those changes were not present in DOOM 2 XBLA so I'm guessing that was done for the BFG Edition.  I have no idea why as I did not work on the BFG Edition nor do I work at ZeniMax Media anymore.

Regarding Map 33: Betray, I remember seeing an issue in the database about it, but I don't remember what for.  (And even if I did, I couldn't tell you.)  Seeing as how access to the map has been cut off, I'm going to guess it was for legal reasons.  One of the guys at Vicarious Visions created the level and Nerve Software was the one that handled the XBLA port.  (Not sure who handled the BFG Edition if it was anyone other than id.)

Lastly, while I'm not encouraging you to purchase the BFG edition, I do highly recommend you check out the No Rest For the Living episode for DOOM 2.  Dead Simple is my favorite DOOM level and March of the Demons comes pretty damn close.  Vivisection is also very good and very reminiscent of Final DOOM.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-01, 07:06 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #85 on: 2012-11-03, 04:00 »

The XBox port of D3 wasn't that bad. Certainly it was somewhat abridged, but it's impressive that VV managed to get it onto the XBox at all, and they were smart enough to omit some of D3's more annoying areas.

Ironically, Nerve did XBox RoE. I have a US copy (not the CE) which comes with D1, D2 and the Master Levels and both Sewers and Betray are included. TBH those levels weren't anything to write home about anyway. NRFTL, on the other hand ... Slipgate - Wink

As a footnote, (G)ZDoom now supports the BFG Edition IWADs directly, including autoload/episode selection for NRFTL.

FistMarine

« Reply #86 on: 2012-11-09, 14:33 »

I got Doom Collectors Edition few days ago and today Doom 3! Slipgate - Grin
Thanks eBay! Now I have the whole Doom Collection, I don't need to buy Doom 3 BFG Edition anymore.
Not even for the new episode of Doom 2 called "No rest for the living" is worth anymore. If anyone wants the episode, you can just find on internet.
In short: BFG Edition sucks.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #87 on: 2012-11-09, 21:19 »

I'm disapointed to hear about BFG's incompatibility with mods. I suppose I'll just have to get my co-op fix from the new Painkiller remake (which features splitscreen out of the box).
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #88 on: 2012-11-09, 22:28 »

I got Doom Collectors Edition few days ago and today Doom 3! Slipgate - Grin
Thanks eBay! Now I have the whole Doom Collection, I don't need to buy Doom 3 BFG Edition anymore.
Not even for the new episode of Doom 2 called "No rest for the living" is worth anymore. If anyone wants the episode, you can just find on internet.
In short: BFG Edition sucks.

It sucks because you can just pirate the extra episode ...

... yeah ...

FistMarine

« Reply #89 on: 2012-11-10, 08:42 »

What? Sorry, I meant that the BFG Edition is not worth buying because of all the reasons I mentioned above PLUS the one mentioned earlier (about the extra episode).
It is worth buying if you don't have any of the Doom games or if you are new to Doom.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Hope you understand now. Slipgate - Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: