2024-03-28, 23:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Occulus Rift Sells Out to Failbook  (Read 12898 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2014-03-26, 17:26 »

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-...rage-against-facebook-sale/1100-6418553/

So why is this on Gen's front page?  I had thought about possibly coding in support for the Occulus Rift in Generations down the line.  Following this news it's not going to happen.  This is an ethical decision on my part as Failbook has a policy of permanently and irrevocably storing user's data with or without their consent.  Once on Failbook, always on Failbook.  I cannot, in good conscience, in any way support an organization with that track record in regards to user privacy.  In addition, Palmer Luckey sold out Occulus before even a single consumer unit was finished.  That's a kick in the balls to every single person that supported Occulus on Kickstarter.  Those were people that supported Occulus from the ground up and believed in what it could be, only to see the creator just pocket $2 billion, make up a lame excuse as to why he did it, and leave their project at the mercy of Zuckerberg's greed machine.

Wirehead may be non-existent on the "organizations that matter" list, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and I guarantee you this:  As long as I'm in charge of Generations, this sort of crap will never happen here.  Principles matter.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-02, 01:23 »

Here, here!

From what I've seen online, it would seem as though everyone is pretty put out by Occulus' decision. The news was certainly surprising to say the least. I really can't imagine Facebook has any interest in Occulus as a gaming platform, either. It seems more likely that it's simply a means to bully their way into the market with Google Glass. Facebook has always been a fad and they know it. It terrifies them that they're not the place to be anymore and that most youth actively avoid the site as their parents' network. They have to stay relevant, but as is their business strategy, this is really grasping at straws.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: