2024-04-20, 00:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SMBC Doomguy Skin  (Read 5908 times)
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« on: 2014-01-06, 15:59 »

So, some of you may have noticed the character skin I posted in the massive Doom fanart thread. It's a skin for Bill, the main character of Contra, for use in Super Mario Bros. Crossover. If you don't know what that is, I'd suggest at least checking it out.. but it's a game that puts characters from various other games into Mario's.

But anyway.. for whatever reason, I went back to that Doomguy and decided to make a new one. That first skin is huge in comparison to other characters in the game. I believe that's probably a primary reason the skin hasn't appeared in the game.

But anyway...

Without going into too much detail, I figured posting it here might be an interesting place for feedback.

The skin uses a variant of Bill as a base, so only certain things are drawn by me. Everything else is essentially a recolor and heavy editing of what was already there.

The ammo boxes and berserk pack replace the Contra guns, and were completely drawn from scratch by me.. bullet box = machine gun, berserk pack = rapid fire, shells = spread gun, small cell = laser, rocket = flamethrower. Also included the BFG, which was not redrawn (instead, lazily resized and 'touched up'), for the unused falcon bomb thing that kills everything on screen.
Two sprites are used because in Contra, the wings are initially closed.. then they open. Not really needed here, so that bit is technically unused.

The injured red marine replaces Toad.. aka, the guy who tells you to go to another castle
Commander Keen replaces Peach

The explosion is when enemies die
Small bullet is the generic starting gun
Bigger bullet is for the machine gun and spread gun
Yellow spark is for when things get hit
Rocket replaces the small flame... not sure how it'll look flying in a corkscrew pattern across the screen
Plasma balls replace the laser
Kept the letters used for Bill (M, R, L, S, F) for the sake of simplicity.

...anyway, I figured this might be an semi-interesting place to look for feedback before I officially post it up at the exploding rabbit wiki. At least a few Doom nuts around here. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2014-01-06, 16:01 by Thomas Mink » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-06, 18:37 »

I've played an arcade version of Contra, and that looks pretty good for replacing the default guys.  Items look spot-on.  I can't really find anything to nitpick here.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-28, 13:32 »

I'll check that out when my hand heals. Look cool though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: