2024-04-19, 08:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Temporarily Down  (Read 10829 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2014-06-01, 04:21 »

It seems the computer I'm using for Wirehead's Generations server is unstable and keeps freezing up.  I'm not sure if this is from hardware or a software problem, but I'm working on fixing it.  I'll have the server back up once I know the computer is stable, or if it won't stay stable, after it's been replaced.  Thanks go to MadTux for bringing the problem to my attention.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-05, 19:41 »

The motherboard fan bearings wore out, and the fan's not spinning as a result.  It wasn't reporting an overheat condition, but it's definitely acting like it's overheating.  I'll replace the fan and we'll see if that fixes the server.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-08, 20:52 »

The fan was only one of the problems.  The motherboard has 8 blown capacitors on it, which I could not see until I pulled it from the chassis to replace the fan.  After 9 years of constant use on that system board, I suppose it's to be expected.  Idlebot is dead, long live Idlebot.

Fortunately I happened to have some spare parts lying around, so I'm in the process of rebuilding the server.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-10, 16:52 »

Server is up and running again.  I'll have to take it down in a few days to do some final tweaking, but it should be functioning normally.

Edit:  Seems it's not functioning normally.  It's freezing after changing maps, so I'm suspecting a corrupted file as a result of the motherboard failure.  I'll have to put a clean copy of Q3 on the server before it's useable.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-10, 18:08 by Phoenix » Logged

MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #4 on: 2014-06-11, 19:30 »

Have a beer for fixing the box Doom - Thumbs Up!

I'm pretty impressed that the board got so far with 8 blown capacitors, though. I also noticed some weird map change behavior before it went down the last time.

Oooh look -- a signature!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-11, 21:09 »

Phoenix bird cannot drink alcohol, but thanks for the sentiment.  Some pomegranate juice does sound tasty though!  Slipgate - Tongue

The server is back up and running.  A few of the game files definitely were corrupted.  That's been fixed.  Feel free to beat up on the bots and try to break it.

MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #6 on: 2014-06-12, 14:32 »

I'll do my best to break the server, apart from DDoS attacks, that is  Slipgate - Tongue

I'm all outta gum pomegranate juice, but here's some home-made apple juice. Cheers  Cheers!

Oooh look -- a signature!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: