2024-03-28, 14:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Frustrating/Annoying Non-Boss Game Enemies  (Read 10577 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2015-01-21, 01:09 »

So... after playing through Serious Sam:  The Second Encounter HD, I remembered what I dislike most about the Sam games:  I absolutely hate those damned Kleer skeletons.  Second on the list is those stupid chainsaw-wielding pumpkin-headed things in overalls.  What game monsters annoy you?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-21, 03:19 »

I really hate having to fight hundred of Zubats just to get through one cave in Pokemon!
MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-21, 16:01 »

I just played through Half Life 2 again, so ..

Poison Headcrabs. spork poison headcrabs.

Oooh look -- a signature!
MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #3 on: 2015-01-22, 18:55 »

Wait. Does this forum replace fsck with spork? Cool.

What about shit?

Oooh look -- a signature!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-22, 22:44 »

No, don't have a filter on that one.  The "spork" replacement has some backstory to it, involving an old PlanetQuake article with LeeMon.

The profanity filter is optional.  I do need to get around to adding some more "interesting" replacements.
  Slipgate - Smirk

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-24, 19:14 »

Those darned dirty Archvilles, I've got a 95 Theses on why they should go fu- err spork themselves!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-25, 10:38 »

Ahh, yes.  I despise enemies that can resurrect what I've worked so hard to kill.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #7 on: 2015-01-26, 14:45 »

After playing through Baldur's Gate 2 again recently... I'll have to say beholders are pretty high up on that list. And I fully admit to cheesing them in every single encounter I've had against them by buying that one shield that reflects beholder rays.

The sheer amount of BS they can spew is just amazing, let alone if you run into a cluster of two or three of them.

Other than that, I can't really think of one that truly annoys me. I mean.. when the only other thing I can think of is perhaps Boss Bass in SMB3, I think I'm doing something right.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2015-01-27, 23:42 »

What irks me about the Kleer is that they almost always find a way to inflict damage in some BS manner.  You sidestep and get hit anyway, or in Second Encounter one of them breaks from the pack and flanks you so that circle-strafing to avoid their jumps is useless.  Then there's the physics behavior... I've had Kleer jump at an angle from the other side of a doorway, clip the edge of a doorway coming through, and then continue in its original direction after having its movement clipped and manage to hit me with the jump.  It's like "I'm going to magically use air control that the player can only dream about in order to get in one annoying sporking hit just to sporking annoy the spork out of you".

As for the pumpkins, their charge mechanic is annoying in its inconsistency, or at least in the HD version it is.  Sometimes they charge right past you if you sidestep, other times they stop and turn to hit you with the saw and it's impossible to avoid being hit when they do that.  Plus they're ugly.  Not as ugly as witch harpies, but still ugly.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #9 on: 2015-01-28, 22:29 »

Y'know, I honestly don't recall having much in the way of issues with the Kleer. It seemed like circling strafing just kept them in line, much like the toads. So long as you could keep the surrounding enemies under control, taking out a whole grouping of Kleer was fine.

Now those Headless Kamikaze guys... I almost always shot them way too close.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2015-01-29, 00:33 »

The toads in Second Encounter were made super easy with the chainsaw.  Just duck into a corner and run the saw and they can't hurt you.  First Encounter you had to circle-strafe them.  I never really had too much trouble with kamikazes in either game, with the sole exception of the two stupid bouncy rooms in Second Encounter - the vertical bouncy room being the more annoying of the two.  Two bullets from the Thompson always made them pop nicely, and there's the advantage that if they're in a crowd, killing one will take the whole crowd out. 

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #11 on: 2015-01-29, 17:49 »

Y'know, I have Serious Sam 3 sitting here in my Steam list. It's been installed forever, but I have yet to play past the opening level. I never did get all the way through the HD remakes either. All this talk is getting me amped up for it though, lol.

Have you fellas tried the newer Painkiller as well? Hell and Damnation... it's essentially an updates "best of" collection from the previous games, with a slightly retconned story. Very much worth the play through if you enjoyed the past games. Obviously, gameplay is pretty similar to Serious Sam... get locked in an environment with a slew of enemies and shoot your way out.

Back to frustrating enemies though: I just started Skyrim back up a few weeks ago. Figured it was about time to go through the DLC. Anyway, I have this mod that reintroduces Cliffracers to the island of Solstheim. Granted, they're not bad in themselves, but it brought back horrible memories of Morrowind. They're just hover above you, rarely attacking. Somehow, the AI would make it so they'd continue to follow you though, thinking about attacking. So by the time you looked up to take notice, there would be a whole group ready to swoop down and peck at you. Banging Head against Wall
« Last Edit: 2015-01-29, 17:55 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2015-01-30, 01:06 »

The HD remakes of Sam are soured by one point, and that's the lack of the multi-directional gravity that was present in the originals.  The switch room with the spikes that inverted gravity in Second Encounter is replaced with ledges that extend and retract, turning it into a platforming-exercise instead.  The rotating tube was completely ruined as well.  In HD, the tube itself is static, and instead has three sections that run the length of the tube and rotate inside it.  This causes enemies and you to be pushed upward on one side and then fall off again back into the middle.  It took all the fun factor out of that room.

I'm currently playing through Serious Sam 2, or as I prefer to think of it, "Seriously Silly Sam".  I don't know if you've played that one.  So far it feels a lot easier than the originals, though it's definitely a bit on the odd side.  I must say that I do love the Klawdovic weapon.  I just think of the parrots as "respawning" when they explode.  It's hilarious watching this green parrot fly off on a kamikaze run shouting "HELLO!".

Come to think of it, I think my most frustrating enemy is being stalled creatively.  It forces me to take a break from dev work and play my game backlog when I'd prefer to be making stuff.  Oh well, all work and no play makes a dull bird I suppose.

Edit:  I have the PainKiller Triple Dose collection laying around somewhere... It's another one on my backlog of games to be played, along with UT2K4, Prey, and the entire Commander Keen collection, among others...

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #13 on: 2015-01-30, 03:49 »

I never played too much into Serious Sam 2... I kinda recall the presentation turning me off at the time. It seemed so much more cartoony. Maybe that's not the case, but that's what I recall. Slipgate - Disappointed

Oh, I loved Prey! It was sooooo underrated. It was pretty novel for the time, too. Of course, Portal has overshadowed it in some regards, but the gunplay is still tight as ever. Interesting enough twist on the alien invasion plot, largely due to the non-typical main character. You also get to jump in and out of the Spirit Realm, much akin to how the Veil was handled in Wolfenstein 2009.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2015-02-01, 12:11 »

The Kleer in Sam 2 aren't nearly as annoying.  They seem to move a bit slower and their jumps are far easier to avoid.  So far they've only appeared on one world, and I must say, it's an absolutely gorgeous place.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: