2024-03-19, 10:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Triple Barrel Shotgun  (Read 13640 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2013-05-11, 03:13 »

It exists.  Doom - Love

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/...hands-on-with-the-chiappa-triple-threat/

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-16, 20:19 »

I bet the knock back would throw you into next Sunday... damn.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-18, 05:10 »

This particular shotgun can't fire all 3 barrels at once.  It fires them one at a time with each trigger pull.  However... if someone did rig it up to tap all three firing pins at once that would be one hellish kick.  Three barrels with a mild target load wouldn't be any more crushing than a 3" magnum buckshot load from a single barrel... but I could just see all three barrels loaded with 3" magnum buckshot loads going off.  That would drive 160lbs of recoil force into someone's shoulder.  Shotguns have a very short recoil impulse, and three barrels at once with that much force... that's one very broken shoulder.  Another reason the Doomguy wears combat armor - it's to protect from shotgun kick as much as from the demons!  Doom - Exclamation

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2015-08-08, 04:07 »

I'm going to necro-post the hell out of this one but here's some video of someone actually firing and talking about one of these things.

I'll be honest, older people talking about and demonstrating firearms in general is a thing I've started to enjoy. I dig this guy's channel quite a bit.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2015-08-09, 06:00 »

Aye, I've seen several of his videos.  He's a bit long winded, but he's thorough and doesn't come off with the "I'm such an expert" attitude of a lot of younger reviewers.  I also think his definition of "pot smoking" is hilarious.  Slipgate - Smirk

I highly recommend this video to anyone thinking about firing a machinegun, especially older subguns, which may be available for rental at some ranges.  Most people haven't touched an older open-bolt weapon where this can happen, so it's a very good safety lesson.  For those who may not know the difference, here's the definition of open-bolt vs closed-bolt:

Open bolt:  You ready the weapon by pulling the bolt back until it locks in the rear position.  The bolt is held back by the trigger.  Pulling the trigger lets the bolt go forward under spring tension.  This simultaneously loads a round into the chamber and fires it.  The bolt then recoils, ejecting the empty casing.  The process repeats until the ammunition is depleted or the trigger is released.  Almost all open-bolt weapons are fully-automatic.  Common examples are the MP-40, Sten, Uzi, Thompson, M3 "Grease Gun", M-60, and MG-43.  Open-bolt weapons are simpler to make and can run slightly cooler, but are imprecise for semi-automatic firing due to the mass of the bolt being released on trigger pull and resultant delay between trigger pull and firing.

Closed bolt:  You ready the weapon by pulling the bolt back and releasing it.  Pulling it rearward cocks the hammer (or striker, depending on design), and when released it moves forward under spring tension and loads a round into the chamber and stops in the forward position.  Pulling the trigger releases the hammer (or striker), firing the weapon.  Depending on design this could be a manually operated bolt, or a semi-automatic or fully-automatic.  Common examples of manual bolt operation would be a Mauser, Enfield, or Remington 700.  Common examples of semi-automatics would be an AR-15, SKS, and M1 Garand.  Common examples of fully-automatics are the MP-5, M-16/M4, and AK-47.  Closed-bolt weapons are better suited for precise firing of single shots.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2015-08-09, 06:20 »

His long-windedness doesn't bother me much, but I think that's because he reminds me so much of my grandfather. Any interest I have in firearms comes from him, as he used to sit with me in his basement and talk about different guns and how they work for hours. I kind of miss it.

Something I greatly appreciate about hickok is his initial goal is more to inform than to entertain, which is the opposite of a lot of younger reviewers. FPSRussia is a good example of being entertaining before being informative, which quite honestly I think can be a bit dangerous.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2015-08-09, 19:00 »

I agree.  There's so much bad information out there, and a lot of would-be experts that don't really understand what they're doing that anybody trying to make an informed decision or get useful information has a sea of BS to wade through.  I don't know how many forums and videos get dedicated to "X sucks" or "Y is the best thing since powdered milk".  Throw in what you want - 9mm vs 45ACP, AR-15 vs AK-47, Glock vs 1911.... it's just as bad as a Religion vs Science argument.  The fanboys will shout down any intelligent and meaningful discussion.

A real-world example... I know of one individual that is an absolutely horrible shot with a 9mm and instead routinely carries a .380 caliber pistol that he's extremely accurate with.  Yet, according to a lot of people he's making all the "wrong" choices.  He should be carrying a double-stack Glock 9mm because .380 "doesn't have any stopping power", and 6 shots "is too few".  Anyone with any sense knows that a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a 9mm, so why carry something he can't use?  15 rounds of 9mm that miss are 15 liabilities to innocent people without stopping an attacker.  6 rounds of .380 that hit only the attacker, on the other hand... plus he carries two spare magazines and an extra round in the chamber, so that's 19 rounds - 7 the fist go, and 6 for each spare magazine.  He carries what he can conceal and what he's proficient with.  To me that's the sensible thing to do.  How many other people listen to bad advice and use something that doesn't work well for them?  I really do have to wonder about that.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2015-08-10, 20:03 »

i pretty sure the stopping power difference between a .380 and a 9mm is negligible.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2015-08-11, 00:17 »

More than likely.  I think a lot of "stopping power" arguments are overblown, especially when it concerns pistols.  There have been people killed with a single .22 Long Rifle and people shot multiple times with a .357 magnum that were not stopped.  Does more energy and larger caliber increase your chances?  Sure, but actually hitting your target where it counts makes more difference than anything.  There are a lot always of variables.  A lot of times just seeing a weapon is enough to stop an attack.  Sometimes your best efforts aren't enough no matter what you do.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-11, 00:26 by Phoenix » Logged

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #9 on: 2015-08-18, 15:55 »

I can definitely relate to the .380 argument. The wide grip of a 1911 doesn't fit my hands very well, making me a terrible shot with it, but my dad has an old Colt .380 that fits my hands really well and I pretty much don't miss with it. If I were buying a pistol for self defense I would try to find something ergonomic AND powerful, but failing that, I would always side with the former over the latter.

Also, I have never been fully convinced that minute improvements in velocity automatically translate to a significant advantage if the measurable wound cavities are identical. When it comes to something like M855 with known performance variability, then yes velocity does have a major measurable difference because the bullet either makes a tiny .22 cal icepick hole or a golf ball-size cavity, depending on whether it fragments. But if you're comparing JHP loads of .380 and 9mm (or .357 for that matter) and they both deform equally reliably to create cavities of pretty much the same size, should you really care about some additional velocity or energy?

Honestly Hickok isn't as bad as other firearms youtubers in terms of rambling. Sure, maybe he's not always as terse or to-the-point as one might prefer, but there generally is some valuable or amusing info in what he's saying if you're willing to wait. I have seen others that tend to ramble just to hear themselves speak, without much of a point at all. There are more articulate youtubers out there (i.e. MAC) but Hickok is still worth watching.

I don't mind FPS Russia because I don't think he pretends to be anything other than entertaining. He generally repeats "don't try this at home" for every stunt he pulls, and doesn't spend too much time going over information that someone might actually use in their own shooting. If I am looking for valuable information, I will look elsewhere, but if I just want to laugh at crazy stunts, FPS Russia is the place to go.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2015-08-18, 18:29 »

"And as always... have nice day!"  Slipgate - Laugh

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2015-09-26, 02:48 »

So I think I've watched nearly all of Hickok's back catalog of videos, and my one big takeaway from the whole thing is...

There are .357 Magnum 1911's? How did I not know this and how hard are they to find? lol

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2015-09-26, 18:37 »

http://www.coonaninc.com/experience

http://www.gunbroker.com/Coonan-357/Browse.aspx?Keywords=Coonan+357
https://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?C=209

Took me less than a minute to find them.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #13 on: 2015-09-27, 01:08 »

Nice.

Holy crap it's not cheap lmao

This comes up mostly because I've been thinking for a while of buying a handgun of some kind, and thanks to my family I've always been fond of the .357 cartridge. Both my father and grandfather own .357 Magnum revolvers (though I don't know their make/model), so that's probably the explanation for that.

The biggest thing that worries me, aside from the basic expense? Dealing with New York's bullshit.
« Last Edit: 2015-09-27, 01:47 by Makou » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2015-09-27, 03:26 »

If by New York you mean NYC, then you definitely have some hurdles.  If just New York state, still a headache but not nearly as impossible.  The best way I can think of to get one is to find an FFL dealer near you and talk to them about ordering one in.  They can guide you through any of the legal headaches for certain.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #15 on: 2015-09-27, 09:26 »

If I was in NYC, I probably wouldn't even bother, honestly...

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2015-09-27, 21:39 »

Which, sadly, is exactly what they want.  I'm glad you do not live there.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2015-09-28, 16:59 »

New York city smells like pee and the people are dicks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: