2024-03-28, 10:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 3 Revolution Player skins  (Read 40858 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #20 on: 2015-11-11, 00:24 »

I'll look into it. IIRC I had a few issues trying to get the patch to load the first time I tried it.

EDIT: It would appear that running a full boot of the game prevents the patch from loading. Have you tried a fast boot? That seems to make the difference at my end.

EDIT EDIT: Started on Klesk. Busy tomorrow but should have him done by the weekend.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Actually, bugger it, have a save state Doom - Thumbs Up!
« Last Edit: 2015-11-11, 00:55 by scalliano » Logged

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #21 on: 2015-11-11, 17:46 »

Pho, I was about to suggest trying the "Fast Boot" option, but Scal beat me to it. I had all sorts of issues going into the game from the Full Boot, even with the patch.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #22 on: 2015-11-12, 00:36 »

Aaaaaaand Klesk is down! That just leaves Anarki.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2015-11-12, 00:46 »

I had tried both fast boot and full boot.  I'll have to tinker with it more I guess.  Slipgate - Sad

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #24 on: 2015-11-12, 02:05 »

If all else fails, try that savestate I linked to (I presume it's the US version you're running, but I can provide a PAL one if needed), it's saved at the title screen. Drop it into your sstates folder and load it before the grey screen appears. Should be Slot 1.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-12, 02:08 by scalliano » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2015-11-16, 22:11 »

The save state worked to get me past the grey screen.  I played through as Sarge, but the graphics are all fubar.  Any complex surface beyond very close up gets turned into a bad pile of visual noise.  The controls are... well, not friendly.  I managed to beat the Vadrigar despite not being able to aim up or down very well.

Scal, I'll let you finish up with Anarki if you've already started.  I'm concerned that any save states I might produce will result in a corrupted skin.
 Slipgate - Sad

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #26 on: 2015-11-16, 23:41 »

Anarki's done already, just need to get the file uploaded from my main rig. And yeah, like I was saying earlier, it seems as if Q3 doesn't like being emulated regardless of platform. I'm no expert, but my guess is that the textures are being corrupted by the renderer, but are fine in memory. Even if they are being flipped in VRAM, I'm sure that the little camera pan around the character at the start of a new tier should suffice for a save state, as the skin always displays correctly there. That said, Matsilagi is the expert here.

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #27 on: 2015-11-17, 00:00 »

Put pnach files in cheats/. Enable Cheats.
Use the GSDX software renderer.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #28 on: 2015-11-17, 02:04 »

The software renderer actually makes the texture errors worse on my end, along with increased z-fighting on certain surfaces.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #29 on: 2016-05-06, 21:06 »

The plot thickens ...

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #30 on: 2016-05-12, 00:22 »

Makes sense to drop Hunter with those skimpier designs (!), given EA had a problem with the reception of X-Squad a year earlier for their uncanny skimpy characters before it hit the west.

As Major doesn't have a voice and these player characters are the ones who are supposed to have voices in play, it might indicate an early scrapping of voices as well.

and if you're unfamiliar with Q3R's unused player voices they are terrible actings of many bot chat lines.  Sarge does say "sarge is in the house", Anarki is a straight up surfer dude,  and klesk is hardly understandable.
« Last Edit: 2016-05-12, 00:27 by leilei » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2016-05-13, 00:25 »

Klesk's TEXT is hardly understandable.  Given his pain sounds, I'd hate to hear attempted speech.  It would probably sound like Doom 3 imp screams crossed with a recording of a Skaarj committing child abuse and then run through a synthesizer.  Slipgate - Distraught

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #32 on: 2016-05-16, 06:54 »

Does anyone know if there is a Windows driver for the memory card reader accessory for the PS3?  I own Quake 3 Revolution and I could help out too.

Also, not sure if everyone already knows this but there's a level skip code:

While playing on any stage HOLD L1+R1+R2+Select then while holding PRESS X,Circle,Square,Triangle,X,Circle,Square,Triangle.

Edit: And nevermind, I just realized you can only play as the 5 characters in campaign. :p
« Last Edit: 2016-05-16, 06:57 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #33 on: 2016-05-20, 22:15 »

Yeah, that's a bit naff. Given the amount of space on the disc that was wasted on unused cheesy dialogue, they probaly could have crammed in class skins for all of the characters Slipgate - Tongue

I'm in the process of trying to rip the remaining skins myself, and DAMN IS IT A PAIN IN THE ARSENAL! Got some pointers on how to do it from torridGristle, the author of that page, but it is still something of an undertaking and once again I'll have to swot up on Q3's shaders to get the higher tier skins looking as they should. Might take some time, especially with DOOM and my own modding projects taking precedence atm. But, I'll get there!

leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #34 on: 2016-05-21, 04:07 »

For the envmappy skins it will never be 100% accurate anyway because Q3R uses a different environmentmap generation function reflecting off from some origin in the world instead of the camera (likely done for refactoring for squeezing more EE vector speed)

also I was tempted to port the menu system to the TA scripts once

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #35 on: 2016-05-27, 00:31 »

I can live with that. As long as I cac get them looking reasonably accurate, I'll be satisfied. Will most likely need some assistance with the shaders anyway. Getting the QL sport skins to glow was one thing as I had the existing shaders to use as a reference, but with these I really am going in blind.

A Q3R menu would have been ace, especially if it were possible to disable the TA clans in team-based modes. That said, the real prize as far as scripting goes IMO would be the introduction of Possession/Team Possession modes as I've never come across anything PC-side that mimics them.

Meanwhile, the skins I have ripped so far are in a bit of a flustercuck state atm. Need to reorganize if I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. So far I have Anarki's first three skins ripped and I'll be starting on Doom's over the weekend (should be the easiest to do). Like I said, this may take a while.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2016-05-27, 01:31 »

I know the Q3 shader inside and out, and I have a copy of the shader manual if you need it.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #37 on: 2016-05-27, 22:27 »

Good stuff, cheers. Once I have everything grabbed and organized I'll give you a shout.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #38 on: 2016-05-29, 16:41 »

With a bit of fiddling, Doom's skins are in the bag!

More screens soon. Bizarrely, Doom's visor textures all have a 50% horizontal offset, meaning my first attempt at getting them ingame was a bit odd-looking.

What has helped is that, just last night, torridGristle sent me a link to a set of tools he's working on to get at the files contained in LINKFILE.lnk which made this task much easier, however not all of the files are accessible yet, it seems. Only Doom's and Sarge's skins are available due to Q3R having the HUD heads in a separate directory. So, as it stands, Daemia, Klesk and Anarki will still have to be done the hard way Slipgate - Tongue

What is giving me trouble though is Sarge's envmap. His ultimate skin relies on alpha channels in the .tga and the purple glow refuses to show up ingame, despite the transparency being clearly visible in GIMP. I've seen tG's own screenshots and he's got the envmap working pretty much perfectly, so I'm sure that it's something I'm missing. For the record, the extraction tool tG sent me is able to unscramble Q3R's shader files and I'm going by those (there are a number of deprecated shader scripts in the folder, and it was one of those old ones that I had to use to get Doom's shaders up and running).

But still, progress!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2016-05-29, 16:49 »

Looking good so far with the Doomer there.

Alpha channels can be fussy in Q3.  I've worked with them a lot, so I've sent you a PM if you want to email me any files to take a look at.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: