2024-04-28, 12:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Books Formerly Known As (Being Off-Topic in the Gen Forum)  (Read 8095 times)
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« on: 2003-09-17, 14:56 »

*sighs* I want to watch Dune now... Not enough time to read through the books again  Slipgate - Tongue
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2003-09-17, 17:10 »

/me beats dev/null with the Sword of Truth series

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-09-17, 18:36 »

Although the movie is great and very stylish, it's nothing compared to the book(s) :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #3 on: 2003-09-17, 19:17 »

They never are... I have yet to read the new ones though, that Brian Herbert wrote. The three House prequels, plus the Bulterian Jihad and such. I just hope he gets around to Dune 7 Slipgate - Wink
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-09-17, 20:09 »

I split these posts to the Off-Topic forum. Happy posting!

Oh My F'ing Gawd
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #5 on: 2003-09-18, 01:38 »

Oooh, okay. I thought I was having memory laspses or something when I noticed dev/null had created a new thread Slipgate - Tongue
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-09-18, 02:23 »

you're telling ME, I thought I recognized those posts.. O.o

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2003-09-18, 06:50 »

Speaking of the Sword of Truth, anyone read the latest one? I forget the name, but if anyone has..is it any good?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-09-18, 06:54 »

I liked the Dune movie, although you have to see the director's cut to really appreciate it.  The narration at the beginning is more in-depth and makes more sense as to the history of the houses, the Bene Geseret (sp?), and the Spacers Guild.  The theatrical release that's narrated by the Princess is horribly chopped.  The directors cut is what the movie SHOULD have been.  I'll have to see the remake of it sometime.  I wonder if they actually made the ornithopters flap this time around...  Slipgate - Tongue

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #9 on: 2003-09-18, 14:29 »

I agree, sadly you cannot buy the Director's Cut because David Lynch has forsaken it. The Sci-Fi Channel shows it about once a year though, so it's not hard to record. I find it to be much more stylish than the Sci-Fi Channel?s remake though, even if it does seem as if they're going to plot out the entire franchise in six hour long mini series (I'm waiting for Heretics of Dune personally, which isn?t too far off, considering how they combined Dune Messiah and Children of Dune into one).

As for Sword of Truth, I?ve never read any of them, but I?ve been told countless times by many different people that it?s rather bland and clich?, even for a fantasy series. Whether that?s true or not, I don?t know, hehe.
« Last Edit: 2003-09-18, 14:31 by dev/null » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-09-18, 15:36 »

Speaking of the Sword of Truth, anyone read the latest one? I forget the name, but if anyone has..is it any good?
Book 8: The Naked Empire

I'll read it when it hits softcover Slipgate - Tongue

The people that rant about the Sword of Truth series being clich? don't like it because the books are "too political" or "too preachy." Most of them are the same people that hated the Covenant saga because it was "too religious."  They want a story full of sex, intrigue, etc. Goodkind is fairly straightforward. I like the book because it's a good coherent story with a good message. It's escapism that reminds you of what's going on in the world, and there's nothing wrong with that..
« Last Edit: 2003-09-18, 15:39 by Angst » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-09-18, 18:12 »

The series hit a low point about book 3, and then was pretty bad for a couple books.  The biggest problem is that for books three, four, and maybe five, it was the same damn 'omg my wife or husband got kidnapped and I gotta find her/him' so that (s)he can use his/her special powers to save the world.

I'm glad he's gotten away from that. I recommend book 1, 'Wizards First Rule' to anyone though. It's a damn good fantasy.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #12 on: 2003-09-19, 01:10 »

Ah, desire fullfilled. I had bought Dune on DVD last month (I was there to get Pi, but I saw Dune and it was too hard to pass up... I had enough cash to blow anyway), so it was just a matter of sitting down and wasting some time Slipgate - Wink
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #13 on: 2003-09-19, 01:35 »

Quick question...you guys talking about the Dune that came out in the 80s, wi' Dean Stockholm, Patrick Stewart, and Sting?  Or the Sci Fi Channel remake?
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #14 on: 2003-09-19, 02:07 »

The 80's version, which David Lynch directed. Well, I am at least  Slipgate - Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: