2024-03-28, 16:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Arena BFG Balancing (Please? ;()  (Read 26493 times)
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #40 on: 2003-09-20, 07:11 »

We should have a pre-game tomrorow then? o_O
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #41 on: 2003-09-20, 19:03 »

Heh, guilty on the line of site.. I HATE it when people take off in the middle of combat.. *grumble* instincts *grumble*

Pho gets me on that all the time, he'll take off around a corner, and I'll charge after just in time to catch a rocket. While I'll admit I play the same way, it just doesn't work on the bird because he pays more attention than I do Slipgate - Tongue

Anyhoo, the arena bfg isn't quite the evil nasty gun that everyone claims it is. Providing you've got a couple weapons to work around it with.
Just don't forget that the guy spamming can't see anything coming Slipgate - Tongue

Again, it's the line-of-site playing that gets you killed with that gun.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #42 on: 2003-09-21, 06:02 »

Well, after some in-depth testing with Tekhead and Warhorse, the following results have been gathered:

Against the Q3 BFG, the only weapons that stood a chance were the Doom weapons or a point blank BFG10K jump.  The Doom weapons were still a 7-1 kill at best, and usually not even close to that.  With the Q3 BFG, I was unstoppable against Tek.  Same if we traded places.  I couldn't kill him if he had it, he couldn't kill me if I had it.

In short, anyone who's said so is  correct in that the gun is FAR too powerful in its current state.  This means a change is definitely in order.  Tactics beyond "Get your own BFG" or "Get lucky with the Doom Rocket Launcher" were useless against this thing.

We think we've come up with a viable alternative, that can still fire equally as fast and not lose the feel of the BFG without doing insane spam damage, yet also can have a "unique" effect and do massive damage like the other BFG's.  How is this possible to have both?  I'm not going to give anything away just yet, it's a surprise.  To any who've been privy to the discussion on this, I ask you not give anything away here just yet of what we're planning. Sipgate - Evil

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #43 on: 2003-09-21, 07:52 »

Damn you Phoenix.  You have put great seeds of thought into my head now.

/me starts thinking about delayed, impact explosions and Shock-Rifle-like combo-ing the delayed, impact explosions for even bigger, delayed, impact explosions.

Oooooh those would be purty...  though not really Q3 like... I really should get back to work now. Slipgate - Smile

Oh and btw, if ever I start to make sense, it was clearly, unintentionally/intentionally intentional/unintentional... ad infinum.  So in other words, don't listen to me because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I do know that I don't know what the hell I'm taking about and that's why I don't know what the hell I'm talking about that I do and so on and so forth.

And for further weirdness, I just realized that one emoticon is drinking beer and not eating trash.  I know this now as I just clicked on the emoticon.  Go me  Thumbs up!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2003-09-21, 13:07 »

Talkin' bout bfg's, I got kind of disappointed by the 10k in the EU forum game.
For some strange reason my flip-backwards-fire-turn-back-and-run-on strategy didn't work - there were at least 2 peeps standing in a direct LoS with me and the detonation, and rather close up too.. but they either had a --LOT-- of health, or it didn't work as I expected it to Slipgate - Smile

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #45 on: 2003-09-21, 21:41 »

Either a lot of health or a lot of armor.  You have to get the 10K in pretty close to your target to really do the trick.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #46 on: 2003-09-22, 17:10 »

Hmm, yet another interesting conversaton I've missed... pity..
Lookin forward to see what you've got in mind pho Slipgate - Tongue.

Though have to point out that slippy's RL can do a number on a bfg spammer..

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #47 on: 2003-09-22, 17:59 »

Angst: Pho and I tested that out, and Q3BFG > Q1 RL. The Q3BFG shot is twice as fast and *its rate of fire is* about 4 times faster than the Q1 RL.  Slipgate - Sad
« Last Edit: 2003-09-22, 23:04 by Tekhead » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #48 on: 2003-09-22, 18:38 »

Hmm, There IS the bit about ammo, but since I wasn't there for testing, I couldn't say..

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #49 on: 2003-09-25, 16:05 »

mmm. BFG Tacos.
« Last Edit: 2003-09-25, 16:49 by Tekhead » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #50 on: 2003-09-25, 19:39 »

I don't like  the Q3 BFG tho it's supposed to be THE big bad ass gun, first of all there aint that many BFG spawn points...i don't see a reason to downgrade it....
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #51 on: 2003-09-25, 20:19 »

Ever played in a match with a bad Earther? He drops BFGs left and right.

If I'm gonna bite it, I make SURE I'm not using the dual gats.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #52 on: 2003-09-26, 00:01 »

The problem with the Arena BFG is that once someone has it you CANNOT kill them.  Unless 3 or 4 people gang rape the offending player or you get a lucky shot in it is impossible to stop them.  Boot, if you want to run through the same sort of testing that Tekhead did with me I can demonstrate in person why this thing is so overpowered.  Believe me, I hate messing with anything on the Arena Gladiators, and I've been the most loathe to change anything there unless there's no other way.  

We will probably include a toggle cvar for the "enhanced" BFG vs the stock Q3 BFG so that purists can still run the old gun if they so choose.  Default will be our new version.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #53 on: 2003-09-26, 01:30 »

/me waits for changes to show up on the beta server Slipgate - Tongue

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #54 on: 2003-09-26, 01:38 »

pho: while you're working on an update, could you scale the strogg items up a bit? That is, unless you disagree on them being quite smallish :]

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #55 on: 2003-09-26, 06:30 »

Tab:  I scaled them to exact Q2 model size.  I think they look fine myself, but if they need to be scaled up a bit I'd like to wait until I repath the models when I can finally get to the "condensing" stage of this.  I'm in the middle tearing CG_Weapons apart at the moment and re-writing some very complex functions that desperately need rewriting before frames animations can work, and it's going to take a while to finish that.

Angst:  Be patient on those proposed BFG changes.    There's a lot that need doing that has priority at the moment.  I know you're itching to try out new stuff but gruntwork has to come first at the moment.   Slipgate - Tongue

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #56 on: 2003-09-26, 10:24 »

Roger that. No hurry or anything. Funny that they're the right scale- to my Q2ers eyes they look about 3/4th the size - must be Q3A style + spacier maps + drugs + fov then :]

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #57 on: 2003-09-26, 19:55 »

forgot that the earth guy drops bfgs that can be messy.... well if you feel it's necessary to tweak the q3 bfg go ahead Slipgate - Smile I do want the gameplay to be as balanced as possible, no class should have any advantage over the other.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #58 on: 2003-09-26, 21:40 »

pho: well aware, good luck with that Slipgate - Tongue

tab: yup, it's the map-size difference. doom-sized maps make for VERY tight deathmatches.
Hmmm....  Sipgate - Evil

anyhoo, as always, let me know if there's some gruntwork that could use delegating, I need something to do Slipgate - Tongue

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #59 on: 2003-09-27, 09:41 »

who needs dual gats anyway , gimme a sniper and a mortar and people will run against it themself .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: