2024-03-28, 09:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom Eternal  (Read 24705 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2018-06-11, 04:17 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oVwrpfo_QA

Thorny Imps, Arachnotron, Pain Elemental, and Archvile confirmed.

Hell on Earth confirmed.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-08, 20:37 »

Once again, not sure how I feel about some of the stuff they've added, but if I get to skip most of the bits I find distasteful like last time, we should be OK Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-09, 01:50 »

I do like the monster redesigns for the Mancubus and former humans, as well as the classic Plasma Rifle looks.  And... a Gatling shotgun mode?  Remember that you saw it here first!  Doom - Love

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2020-01-15, 02:48 »

Against all the evil that Hell can conjure...
All the wickedness that mankind can produce...
We will send unto them...

...only you.

Doom Eternal - Official Trailer 2

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2020-01-15, 03:00 »

Doom - Love Doom - Love Doom - Love

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #5 on: 2020-01-31, 17:15 »

Watching some of the latest footage from various folks who essentially got to play a beta test for a few hours had me break my rule of pre-orders a few days ago. It looked so good when watching the right people play it.

At first, I was wary of all the gimmicky movement stuff like monkey bars and the meat hook.. but as time went on, that stuff seemed to take a back seat to the actual action.

My only real nitpicks are the neon green weapons and 1-ups.. I think the Doom 2016 method for weapons would have been fine, and maybe something like a Soulsphere for a 1-up instead of the neon green Slayer helmet. But eh.
Also kind of sucks that the retro skins are tied to purchases of games I already own from ye olden days before digital purchases were a thing. I always rocked the brown marine out of the four original colors, but to play him now (dubbed 'bronze' in Eternal for.. reasons..) I have to buy a game I already own (and not even through Steam, which is just a pita). Meh.. ..at least the oldschool green Doomguy skin looks to be unlockable in Eternal, so there's that.

Now I just need to get off my ass and finish Doom 2016.. which I still have yet to actually do.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-31, 18:33 by Thomas Mink » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2020-02-22, 17:49 »

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2020-02-28, 21:40 »

SilEnCe tHe DiScoRd! *splat*

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #8 on: 2020-02-29, 00:39 »

What's the attitude on here regarding the game? I know Doom 2016 got criticized by some old-school fans because of its arena style gameplay loops, whereas Eternal might be heading in a new direction with an emphasis on movement and skill. I think it looks amazing, I never imagined they'd go this far in developing a triple A Doom title.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2020-02-29, 03:17 »

Speaking only for myself, I'm eagerly awaiting Doom Eternal.  So far it's checking all the right boxes - more classic monster look, greater mobility, classic nods to weapons, including sounds, as well as what looks like a largely expanded battlefield, as well as some new additions to the bestiary, environment, movement, and boomstick department.  I've been avoiding anything more in-depth and sticking to just the official trailers as I don't want to spoil anything major for myself.  My main concern is going to be how my machine handles it.  I'm also looking forward to playing Doom 64 finally without having to use a hacked together emulated version.  I pre-ordered so I get that free, along with the classic weapons pack and DOOT Revenant skin for multiplayer.  Surprisingly I find myself also eagerly anticipating the... dare I use the word... STORY component.  I know that tends to be an oxymoron with a Doom title, but there's so much hinted at for the origin of the Slayer, and the involvement of Heaven, that I want to rip and tear into that as well. 

I am less concerned about the multiplayer as I am the single player overall, but I do like the changes they've made in adding both Invasion mode and Battle Mode in place of the multiplayer that came with Doom 2016.  I tried that during the beta for Doom '16 and I did NOT like it.  I didn't like the loadouts, or the hack modules, or pretty much anything, so I never really pursued it.  There's some people I know that played the Doom multi and loved it, one fellow on my Steam friends list is an absolute master, and I have seen some complaints about the apparent lack of any kind of classic deathmatch-style play.  I'm not really concerned either way personally in that front, but it is something other players have expressed dislike over the lack of.  The single player for Doom '16 was great for me.  I can understand how some people might tire of the wandering followed by locked door mosh pit followed by more wandering overall mechanic, but I didn't find that tiresome.  It felt like the monsters were fairly balanced in terms of placement and difficulty.  If I have one complaint it's that the Possessed civilians are too noisy and tend to drown out everything else when they're wandering around growling.  The lack of a manual save is also a bummer as I'd love to have been able to save a spot and just go back and play Doom Demon Destruction without having to replay the whole level.  I also love the Glory Kill* mechanic, though I know opinion on that was mixed depending on who you talked to.  To me you can never have enough gibs.

As for other gamers... what I find interesting is that there seems to be a schism in the Doom fanbase regarding Doom '16 and Doom 3.  A lot of people that like Doom 3 do not like Doom '16, and vice-versa.  I was VERY critical of Doom 3 when it was first released as a demo, but it's grown on me a lot over the years.  I happen to like both games and I do understand the differences and why people might love one and hate the other.  Doom '16 is an action fest, Doom 3 is much slower paced and horror/atmospheric.  I've seen a few "Old Doom" purists that hate them both, but not many.

*Regarding Glory Kills, I've heard it said by several people that this was ripped off from Brutal Doom.  In fact, there's very early Doom 4 alpha footage from before it was scrapped and restarted that already had Glory Kill mechanics visibly in place.  It was all grey shaded models, but the mechanic was in place.  I would wager that Brutal Doom's gore system was just developed independently.  If it did have any influence it was probably just for Id to just say, "Yeah, people like that in Brutal Doom so that Glory Kill stuff we were planning for Doom 4 - let's keep that in for the rework."  I just wanted to clear that up.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #10 on: 2020-02-29, 16:20 »

I'll keep it short but I fully credit Doom 2016 (and Titanfall 2) for rekindling my love for FPS games, which waned quite a bit after Doom 3 and fell off completely with Rage. Is it classic Doom? No. However, I absolutely describe the game as "master class," even with its faults.

I also have Eternal preordered, and it was largely to get the Doom 64 port. I do own a Nintendo 64 but I have never played the game on that because that controller can spork off, and while there have been a number of unofficial ports (and they're quite well done!), I'll be happy to finally play it for real.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #11 on: 2020-03-02, 14:33 »

more classic monster look
I'll be honest.. the classic Mancubus look feels a little out of place for me when I see it in Eternal.. and I feel the same for Cyberdemon (called Tyrant?). I'm a little torn on the possessed soldier becoming a zombieman too. ...and if they are indeed going for this 'more classic' look, why did they put Arachnotron's plasmagun on top of his head? The Pain Elemental design hits all the right spots for me though. Retro, yet fresh with the mouth design.

In the end though, minor quibbles. As I said before, watching the right people play the game looked SO good that I broke my rule of pre-orders. I have not watched any of the more expansive plays that came out, like the entire first stage, or the entirety of the Slayer's home base, or anything.. because I'd like at least some things kept for myself to see. So I've only watched a few of those videos where they were allowed to play for three hours but were also only allowed to use 15 minutes of recorded footage from the session.. and none of which was allowed to be the first stage.

As for Doom 2016, I liked it well enough. Did it feel like Doom? Not really.. hoenstly felt more like a Quake game painted up to look something like Doom.. to me anyway. More than a few of the 'combat arenas' felt like they could be put into a Quake multiplayer deathmatch game and no one would be the wiser. But it was still a damn good game. ...still need to get off my ass and finish it at some point too.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2020-03-03, 05:18 »

Regarding the arachnotron... from a technical standpoint having the gun mounted above makes it more dangerous.  If it were underslung or mounted to the front then all you would need to do is get above it and it couldn't hit you.  Since vertical movement is a big part of Eternal and the terrain is much more varied it only makes more sense.  I mean, face it.  Doom 2 was pretty flat.  Arachnotrons didn't have to do too much vertical aiming, and they were almost always positioned in a fairly wide flat areas - Dead Simple, Factory, Refueling Base, Downtown...

Fun fact:  The Pain Elemental sprites from Doom 2 are hacked together from 4 monsters - the body is obviously Cacodemon, the arms are from the pinky demon, the open mouth is a lost soul (obviously), and the horns are from the Cyberdemon.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2020-03-20, 17:34 »

Can confirm, new arachno is ANNOYING..

Also Dopefish LIVES!

Carry on.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2020-03-21, 07:04 »

Agree on the arachnotrons.  I did find a way to inhibit their dodging the plasma rifle.  If you aim in one spot they'll dance to the side and you'll waste ammo, but of you spray left and right in an arc towards the arachno it confuses the AI and it soaks up your shots instead trying to dodge them.  I've gotten pretty good at taking out their turret gun with the shotgun grenades.  Thing fires just like the Earth Soldiers' mortar.

I did have to cackle the first time I encountered a tentacle.  I thought, "Wait... Am I playing Legendary?"  Slipgate - Smirk

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #15 on: 2020-03-21, 14:14 »

As a fan of Arachnotron.. this new one is a... yea, we'll go with 'annoying' to keep it pc.
Slow-mo rune and sticky bombs have been my go-to for them.

That said.. Meatshield Mancubus is kind of annoying too, but not nearly as much so. Accidentally getting close to one while running around an area though.. that ground aoe burst thing they do HURTS.

Anyway.. that covers my two favorite classic demons.

Also, don't underestimate Cacodemons.. and whatever you do, don't let one get close enough to bite you.

On the whole though, my problem is remembering to use my grenades and flamethrower. I started playing on Ultra-Violence, because why not.. I figured I might be a little rusty, but should still be ok. Made it through the first stage well enough. Then the second stage kicked my ass so hard, I went down to Hurt Me Plenty and was still struggling with some fights on the third stage.

As for tentacles.. despite knowing of their existence and seeing them in various videos, I guess I brainfarted and forgot because the first one made me jump pretty good.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #16 on: 2020-03-21, 15:18 »

"The thing fires like the Earth Soldier's Mortar" explains why I took to aiming them so quickly lmao

I've only had time to play through the first mission but so far it seems like it's exactly what I wanted, which is basically more of Doom 2016 with subtle tweaks.

I got a hearty chuckle when I noticed Cacodemons sometimes gib into what almost looks like a pile of fireblu.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2020-03-22, 16:20 »

I'm sticking with Ultra-Violence here.  I ended up losing all my extra lives in the Cultist Base, mainly because those serpent enemies were hard to deal with at first and I kept failing one of the Secret battles.  I didn't realize it was on a timer.  Once I got the rocket launcher I just ice bombed the serpents and hit them with rockets - very effective.  They're also more dangerous on flat terrain.  The more you use height and distance the less they can hit you.  If you're in the air You're pretty safe from them.  The slow-mo rune is a lifesaver for certain.  I've found that if I jump in the air just before zooming with the Heavy Cannon I can pick off the guns from a Revenant, Mancubus, or Arachnotron.  I also learned you can replay missions and farm the extra lives.  Use the cheat codes and go to town.

I've gotten a better feel for the combat as well.  I've started doing combos on weaker demons with the flame burst.  If I'm going to chainsaw, I set them on fire first.  If I see weaker demons, I'll torch them, stagger with the shotgun or a few shots to the knee from the Heavy Cannon, then glory kill.  This ensures I get armor as often as possible when sawing or glory killing.  In Doom '16 I'd save up gas cans and use the saw on bigger demons like the Hell Knight, Baron, or Mancubus to take them out of the picture.  In Eternal it's just more practical to saw the smaller demons to ammo farm since ammo is scarce and you can't carry as much until you can start upgrading and since you regenerate 1 unit of fuel.

I'm very glad that a mistimed jump just teleports you to safety with a little damage rather than being insta-death and a checkpoint load, considering how much falling you're going to do.  I do wish the platforming sections didn't feel so contrived.  That's probably the only negative right now for me.  I don't mind platforming elements.  What I don't like is the "player goes this way" design.  In the Hell portion of the Sentinel Prime area the floating rocket platforms with the spinning fire chain felt straight out of Super Mario Brothers.  The Terrordrome section is especially bad for the pathing.  I would have done a lot of things differently, making the grab bars and grabble wall sections feel like more natural parts of a structure.  I'm kind of on the fence with the arcade-like nature of some of it.  It's immersion breaking to a point, though it does add some variety to the game as well.  Hopefully it doesn't become absurdly difficult with the platforming later in.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2020-03-22, 21:10 »

... So.. There's a challenge to glory-kill an Archvile from the left-hand side later in the game. Let's just say it crashed so I didn't have to rage quit..

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #19 on: 2020-03-23, 00:34 »

The Cultist Base has made this game go from exactly what I wanted to incredibly un-fun in record time. Some of these encounters are what I'd describe as completely unfair, and it really feels like they're leaning into the extra lives system as an excuse for that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: