2024-03-28, 22:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake Live  (Read 10958 times)
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2019-07-21, 01:40 »

I'm trying to get a regular quake live game together. I miss death match culture and i would like to do my part to keep it alive. If anyone is interested we can try and come up with a time that works for the largest number of people.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-26, 17:33 »

I'd be interested.. Generally available Mon/Tues evenings after 5pm. MAYBE Sat/Sun evenings.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2019-07-26, 22:08 »

well thats one, come on the rest of you candy asses!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2019-07-28, 08:19 »

I don't have Quake Live, so I'll have to pass.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #4 on: 2019-09-04, 03:12 »

9.99 pho
 I have 2 ca servers and a ctf server set in VA
the ca playground 1 and 2 and the ctf playground.

and they are usually popping Slipgate - Smile

GET THAT GUY GET THAT GUY, PEW PEW PEW!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2019-09-06, 01:02 »

Yeah, I know it's cheap.  I have reasons for not wanting to play it, and I don't want to hijack Woods' thread by going into a rant.  You guys play and have fun. Doom - Thumbs Up!

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2019-09-09, 14:49 »

well we don't have enough people for a game anyway so go ahead and rant, tell us why the assault riffle sucks.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2019-09-12, 23:06 »

It has nothing to do with any assault rifle.  It has to do with the lack of gibs, the fact that the movement code was completely CPMA'd, and lack of mod support (unless that last part has changed).  Those are the "old" reasons to not want to play Quake Live.  I also just don't have time to mess with Quake Live when I already have a huge game backlog plus need to work on Gen as well.  There's the possibility that I might end up actually liking Quake Live and then getting my time sucked away even more.  I don't want that.  That's the "newer" reason I don't want to play it.

Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #8 on: 2019-11-04, 02:51 »

yea you'd probably get sucked away. and yes it can be modded now just not the conventional way and yes there are gibs and yes you should get your time sucked away with me Slipgate - Laugh

Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #9 on: 2019-11-04, 02:53 »

well we don't have enough people for a game anyway so go ahead and rant, tell us why the assault riffle sucks.

hey woodsman my servers are usually popping with people. look for "The CA Playground" 1 or 2 and "The CA Amusement Park" names based on team size Slipgate - Tongue

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2019-11-04, 22:54 »

I will do that
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2019-11-06, 01:19 »

yea you'd probably get sucked away. and yes it can be modded now just not the conventional way and yes there are gibs and yes you should get your time sucked away with me Slipgate - Laugh

Glad about the gibs, but does it still have Arqon's CPMA movement code?  I am really not a fan of that guy.  Slipgate - Shouting

Orbital-S2D

Shambler

RnR Boss

« Reply #12 on: 2019-11-10, 04:38 »

only if u use pql mode otherwise is very osp like

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2020-09-19, 18:25 »

So i managed to get a game together, with myself and some old wireheaders, Kenny, Leemon, Goldensly and a few others. Some people even hopped on of their own accord. Goldensly set up a discord server so we could trash talk like a real lan party. It was a great time.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2020-10-18, 03:08 »

Yeah I finally broke down and got Quake Live a few weeks back.

In other news, we had a Doom '16 game tonight.  Woods invited me, and along with Goldensly, McCool, and Kenny_WHS from across the pond we all had a pretty fun time.
  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #15 on: 2020-10-18, 04:07 »

it was fun but i was honestly disappointed with the Doom 2016 DM it seems like they really wasted the opportunity.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2020-10-18, 07:48 »

I never cared for it during the beta testing phase.  It was fun because we were all playing together.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2020-10-18, 22:04 »

oh for sure, just next time we play something else.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2020-10-28, 15:24 »

'16 could certainly be more fun than eternal's Battlemode-only.. On the one hand, it's kind of fun, on the other, I'd have preferred it as an optional secondary or tertiary mode..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2020-10-29, 04:36 »

I've played a fair amount of Battlemode, and while it's fun it's not without problems.  You're limited to 3 players and it's 2 vs 1 which is hilariously bad to balance on player skill.  At first the Slayer was wrecking the demons, then they started nerfing the Slayer's weapons.  They also just removed the Destroyer Blade and Microwave Beam from Battlemode.  Why I have no Idea.  I've never been hit by a blade when playing, and I've seen the MWB used exactly once.  Unless you're a Godlike battlemode player you're probably going to lose as a Slayer.  Just yesterday I played Battlemode as a Revenant, other demon was a Pain Elemental, and the Slayer we were against had an Immortal tag and a golden Maykr Slayer outfit - meaning he had done the DLC in Ultra-Nightmare.  I figured for sure he'd slaughter us, but we went 3-0 on the Demon side.  He didn't stand a chance, and when we chatted a bit after the match he said what is a definite glaring flaw:  "It's very hard to get practice in at Battlemode".

That's the biggest problem right there.  For SP you can practice strategy over and over and improve.  With Battlemode you're thrown into a match and the strategies that may work in the SP game don't work in Battlemode since the player-controlled demons are different from the in-game demons in abilities.  The Soul Shield for the Pain Elemental is good example of that.  Then there's no way to learn the maps without playing, and it's so frantic and chaotic you have demons spawned all over you and you don't know which way to go.  It's very harsh for newer players.  If there was a practice mode with some AI "player" demons (and an AI Slayer) it would go a long way to having more people play.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: