2024-03-29, 01:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Angst's angsty review - Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 (spoiler free-ish)  (Read 5218 times)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2021-03-19, 05:45 »

So it looks like it went through virtually no QA (maybe they forgot Doomguy can jump in this one? those clipping brushes are TERRIBLE)

The sound levels are weird.
They doubled down on everything I hated about Part 1
Art direction is all over the place, sometimes changing themes mid-cinematic.
And that boss fight was bloody terrible..

id.. I am disappoint.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2021-03-21, 09:40 »

Overall I liked Ancient Gods 2, but I can see where it could have had some improvement.  I would say some of it felt rushed.  There wasn't as much exploration and secrets as I would have liked.  I didn't have trouble finding anything.  The music was definitely inferior from Ancient Gods 1 and certainly from the main game.  Mick Gordon's departure definitely had an impact there.  I did like the meathook grapple mechanic as it reminded me of Opposing Force and it felt more natural than the monkey bar plus dash canisters that were overused in the main game.  One inconsistency that I think will never be properly explained is why Doom Slayer needed a dive suit and O2 cylinders in Ancient Gods 1 but not the main game and Ancient Gods 2.  Only thing I can think of would be his suit can't handle salt water very well?  Didn't need O2 in space, hell, Mars, or under fresh water so other than contrived game mechanics, who knows.

I will admit that I underused the hammer.  I like that it can be recharged with glory kills and weak point shots, but I tended to treat it more like the Crucible and just not using it except on big demons.  I did like the addition of the Chaingunners as it gave me a reason to actually use the remote detonate mod for the rocket launcher.  I would have to say my favorite part was the escalation encounters.  Basically a Slayer Gate without the key.  That and the Barbarian cosmetic.  The first time I saw Doom Slayer without a helmet I thought he looked like Conan as drawn in comics and art, but with short hair.  I was glad to see I wasn't alone in this.

I managed to play all the way through on Ultra-Violence.  The end boss fight took some learning.  Behind spoiler text is how I handled him. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just wonder where they're going to go with the franchise now.  Maybe Quake will get some proper attention?  Doom - Huh?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2021-03-24, 22:39 »

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2021-04-12, 14:05 »

oh your so brooding and full of Angst
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2021-04-12, 15:37 »

What can I say? The rum's gone...

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2021-04-12, 22:50 »

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2021-08-26, 06:53 »

How do you both feel about the Ancients Gods overall?  The season pass recently went on sale for $15 off but I held off on buying it because I feel like id doubled-down on everything I disliked about Eternal.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2021-08-26, 17:11 »

I would say that if you liked Eternal overall and were left craving more then they're worth getting, especially if you're a completionist.  If you thought Eternal was "meh" and don't like platforming and abusing the meathook, then you probably will find them frustrating and annoying in places.  There's definitely more marauder fights, monsters with weakpoint gimmick (Maykr angels are the worst for this), and forced weapon mod usage (Spirits and Stone Imps).

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2021-08-27, 05:42 »

I actually enjoyed the platforming in Eternal so that shouldn't bother me.  My bigger issue would be the Marauder fights and the new enemy encounters.  I don't necessarily mind having to use a specific weapon to take out an enemy, but I'll inevitably run out of the ammo I need, and having to constantly micro-manage my ammo as well as my health and armor to stay alive stresses me the @#$% out.  Some of the Slayer Gate challenges in the base game gave me actual heart palpitations and my vision started fading.  I literally had to stop playing and just breathe for a minute or so.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2021-08-27, 10:06 »

Oh, that's no good!  If it affects your health I would recommend against them then.  The Ancient Gods 1 has really intense claustrophobic fights, and The Ancient Gods 2's final boss is a marauder fight on steroids.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: