2024-04-27, 18:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SIGIL II  (Read 1587 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2023-11-07, 14:11 »

SIGIL II releases December 10th, according to a tweet from John Romero that has received surprisingly little fanfare. Preorders are live, at a cost of €6.66 for the most basic digital-only version.

SIGIL II is the unofficial sixth episode for the original Doom, containing nine single-player maps, two deathmatch maps, and (like 2019's SIGIL) two soundtracks -- an origial MIDI OST by Jimmy Paddock, and a non-MIDI OST by Thorr (who?).

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2023-11-07, 16:03 »

i thought he was going to use doom 2 for this one. Thats kind of disappointing.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2023-11-08, 01:34 »

He apparently did make it clear when SIGIL II was announced that it would be for (Ultimate) Doom, but because he called it a MegaWAD it was erroneously reported to be for Doom II by. Everyone.

He is working on a separate Doom II project, though.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2023-11-08, 05:06 »

Preorders for the more expensive packs sold out day one.

I also had thought Sigil II was going to be for Doom II, but if we're getting Sigil II for Doom and another project for Doom II then that's even better.  More Romero, more Doom, more demons to slay.
  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2023-11-08, 06:23 »

I only wish it had a more... creative?... title, if it's going to be a sixth episode of OG Doom. "SIGIL II" would make more sense as a Doom II WAD that sees Baphomet and Satan at it again, honestly. But, if I trust anyone to handle yet more OG Doom and its limitations, it's Romero. I still think Doom's best maps were almost all his, though I think most would string me up for how much I actually like Perfect Hatred.

Against Thee Wickedly can spork right off, though.

At any rate, if I had to guess, the aim for this unnamed Doom II project is probably for it to be out late next year. Somewhere between the very end of September and the first third of October. Just a guess. No particular reason for it.

Edit: Today I learned the board censors that word, lol

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2023-11-08, 21:37 »

Well I'll play it and I'm sure it will be good but it would have been better with Doom 2's monsters and assets. I think of it from a doom mappers perspective, reasonable people can disagree about which game has the better campaign ( for me its Plutonia ) but for me the absence of revenants, archviles and even pain elementals is a big handicap from a map design standpoint.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2023-11-09, 05:07 »

There's an option under preferences to leave words uncensored on the board.  And... there's a story behind the replacement word.  Slipgate - Grin

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #7 on: 2023-12-10, 08:01 »

SIGIL II is live, and can be downloaded here.

Purchase link for the version with the THORR soundtrack appears to be missing completely but I'm sure that will be fixed soon enough.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: