2024-04-30, 06:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I fix a map to play in this mod  (Read 11529 times)
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« on: 2003-09-23, 16:08 »

I'm new and have tried the mod and I think it rocks, I had made a version of the old Q1start map for the mod Q3 Pkarena and just retooled it to play in regular Q3, but I want to know what I need to do to get it to play in the Generations mod, if there are any packs for the entities for the different classes??
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #1 on: 2003-09-23, 16:43 »

Never mind :-)    I just managed to load the map and it played fine, I guess must've read the manual first, must be a server modification type of mod. Uhmmm love that DOOM class
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-09-23, 16:48 »

Actually, the gen guys have worked very hard in order to keep compatibility with standard q3. Any map in the Generations mappacks should play just fine under standard q3, and vice versa. It's a rather robust mod, pity most people will never notice how much work went into it Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #3 on: 2003-09-23, 17:19 »

I played a LOT of generations before with the Q2 version and it was SOOOO AWSOME that  there was no comparison to the early version of generations for Q3, I played it when it came out and didn't like the forced (by ID software) compromise, but I'm glad I came back to try it cause they have made a geat improvement. Other than the single barrel Slipgate shotgun and the DOOM pistol, I'm very satisfied with the rest of the weapons and I do realize that is not their fault.

GOOD JOB GUYS!
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-09-23, 17:37 »

What forced compromise?

So long as everything in Gen is created from scratch, with the exception of the player models. Everything's cool.

Slipgate weapon changes are in the works as I recall. As are weapon animations.

I have to agree with the doom pistol, but it's not all that bad honestly.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-09-23, 18:31 »

You never know - maybe someone'll make new models from scratch & include them in Gen with fixed player animations... Slipgate - Distraught

*chuckles as he watches Slippy bang his axe against his head*
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-09-23, 18:38 »

If someone else includes them in Gen, it's their business, not Wirehead's.

Animations will be added to existing models in order to have things like the axe swing. But no character will be added from another game that doesn't already exist in Vanilla Q3A.

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2003-09-23, 19:00 »

Uhmmmm I can't get the Earth Soldier to respawn, it tells me "this server does not allow earth soldier model" or some similar error message.

?

All the other classes work fine (that Q2 class is nice too!). Am I doing something wrong?  I start like this:

quake3 +set fs_game generations +set com_hunkmegs 96 +map q1start_q3

I was using doom model or ranger model also, does it matter which model you pick initially?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2003-09-23, 19:23 »

read the manual, in the section about dmflags it explains what's going on. By default the earth class is banned if you install over .99b, I forget exactly which one, but I THINK dmflags is supposed to be 0 for a default game.

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2003-09-23, 22:31 »

That's in the server section of the manual. Look at the GENflags settings, and alter them as you see fit.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-09-24, 02:35 »

ahh, GENflags, my bad Slipgate - Tongue

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #11 on: 2003-09-24, 23:17 »

Thanks!  I got it working by making genflags 0. My only problem now is that I can't beat the darned 4 nightmare bots that I'm accostumed to beating in the same map in Pkarena, but I guess no one can help me there :-)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2003-09-25, 01:31 »

practice you must Slipgate - Tongue

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #13 on: 2003-09-25, 04:25 »

After playing about 10 games with the same bots, I noticed, and then made some tests and calculations to confirm, that the earth soldier bot won over half the games, and did overall better than all other classes, followed by the Q1 guy, the Q3 guy and last the DOOM one ( I forgot to use a bot with Q2 class), is this a general thing as to which class is stronger?.

I was playing all the games with the randomizer and I truly sucked with the earth soldier. Q1 and Q3 do best for me. Q2 was a mistake, I can't aim it worth spit.

The whole purpose of the test was to see which class was stronger so I could use it :-)  Now I'm confused.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #14 on: 2003-09-25, 04:56 »

None of them are stronger... There would be no point in having any other class if one was god-like. No, it all depends upon the situation and the player. I'm personally fond of the Slipgaters in general, but I tend to flip over to the Strogg Troopers in more open maps, to even the odds with the railgun.

Which reminds me. I just recently noticed that the Strogg Troopers have a new invisiblity effect (I rarely play on maps with the invisibility power-up, so sue me). While nice, it's not nostalgic... What was the purpose in this change?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2003-09-25, 04:57 »

As we've found out in actual play, the strongest class varies depending on many things.  Map layout, available weapons, which other classes are on the map, etc.  Strogg excells in open maps if he has a railgun, or tight ones with various levels of elevation where his variety of weapons comes into play.  Doom is deadly in narrow corridors where his close-in damage combined with speed gives him an advantage and on level ground where his flatter spreads are more effective.  Earth can make great use of elevation with his mortar to hit places nobody else can, and has a weapon for any range from very close to very far away.  In open terrain you can't hide from those gats.  Slipgate?  Well, I'm not the Slipgate expert, but to date he's deadly just about anywhere you find him.

Don't let the bots fool you.  The only real test of "which class is best" is to play real players.  Slipgate - Smile  

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2003-09-25, 07:11 »

About the Strogg Invis...Strogg didn't HAVE an invis in the original. We had to come up with something, and the 'weapon visible' invis just sucked.

Also, just for the new guy, here's a rundown of the strengths and weaknesses of each class.

Earth:
Strengths: Best armor in the game. High powered weapons. Lots of 'tactical' weaponry.
 Weaknesses: Slower than molasses. Eats ammo like popcorn, and half the weapons use the same ammo.

Strogg:
Strengths: Physics improvements (potentially the fastest strafejumper in the game). Huge arsenal with a gun for EVERY situation. The uber-Rail.
Weaknesses: Slow if you can't strafejump well. Must know what weapon to use when. One-gun wonders suck with strogg.

Arena: Stock q3 guy. Middle of the road class in speed, armor, and weaponry.

Slipgate:
Strengths:  Above average speed. Red armor is the second best armor in the game. Most powerful rocket launcher in the game. Refires fast, flies faster, and throws you for a loop. Full air control (not to be confused with air ACCELERATION).
Weakneses: NO versatility. If you don't have Red Armor + RL you're toast. No true BFG, although the shaft can be picked up at any LG spawn point.

Doom:
Strengths: Fastest guy in the game. Strogest shotgun in the game. Fastest-refiring RL. Absolutely deadly in an enclosed area. Also has the prettiest dynamic lights. Slipgate - Wink
Weaknesses: Crap-tastic armor and his only long-range capability is to chaingun-snipe.
« Last Edit: 2003-09-25, 07:23 by ConfusedUs » Logged
FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #17 on: 2003-09-25, 11:46 »

thanks!  So let's say I have "a friend" who just can't aim the friggin railgun, has no real close combat skills and has relied on explosive weapons like the rocket launcher  since DOOM came out (yes that's how old "my friend" is :-)  the best choice is probably the Q1 guy.  That is why I have....uhmmm..errrrr...... "my friend" has been doing better, even beating the bots a couple times, mostly with the  Q1 and the Q3 guy, and has sucked with the players that require real skill such as the strogg and the earth soldier.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-09-25, 15:06 »

don't forget doom! nothing freaks someone out in a quiet deathmatch quite like some purple-glowing guy jumping around a corner foaming at the mouth with a pointy bit of metal wrapped around his fist. (berzerk + quad  Sipgate - Evil  )

Doom's great for those small levels most people hate BECAUSE of doom Slipgate - Tongue

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #19 on: 2003-09-25, 23:08 »

HaHa!  I just checked and I still have a webpage on Q2 generations, I just haven't updated it in years, if anyone is intersted:
http://www.geocities.com/hifever_2000/index.html

I bet is probably one of very few pages on Q2 generations, I guess I just left it for nostalgia, that was one AWSOME mod, I never liked Q2 at all (I liked the single play but not DM) and my only Q2 experience was some Chaos Mod and lots of Q2generations.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: