2024-04-19, 21:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Books Thou Shalt Read (or other useless suggestions)  (Read 15441 times)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2003-09-24, 17:56 »

Orson Scott Card - The Ender Saga
Orson Scott Card - The Call of Earth (and whatever follows that one)

Stephan R. Donaldson - The Covenant Sagas (yes, both of them)

Christopher Stasheff - The Wizard in Rhyme Series

Roger Zelazny - The Chronicles of Amber (something like 10 books here)

Terry Goodkind - The Sword of Truth Series

:ph34r:

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2003-09-24, 18:21 »

Peter F Hamilton - The nights dawn trilogy.

Orson Scott Card - the 'shadow' saga
(not officially part of the ender saga, it's it's own saga)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-09-24, 19:23 »

Robert Jordan - The wheel of time.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2003-09-24, 22:58 »

William F. Shatner - '911's top-10 -The Book-'

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2003-09-25, 02:29 »

Ooooooooo books...  Too many to choose from!!

The Sholan Alliance Series by Lisanne Norman

Deverry Series by Katherine Kerr

Redwall Series by Brian Jaques

Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt

Night of the Wolf by same

Honor Harrington Series by David Weber

Rhapsody by Elizabeth Hayden

Dragonlord Series by....bugger can't remember name

I guess that's good for the time being!  Hehehe
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2003-09-25, 02:51 »

letters to penthouse volume IV
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-09-25, 03:17 »

Woods, I heard that Penthouse is going bankrupt...is this true?

And about the Wheel of Time, reboot....

I was VERY happy with the series till the last three books. Crossroads at Twilight is a travesty. It doesn't even have a !@#$ climax! The book sucked. I've bought books 10 and 11 as they came out, in hardcover. I have no intention of buying book #11 till it hits paperback unless it gets some VERY favorable reviews.

If Robert Jordan hopes to finish the series within his lifetime, he needs to start bringing the different plotlines together. The plot hasn't closed a plotline since book 7! There must be at least 15 loose threads, 4 or 5 undercurrents, and about 8 unsolved mysteries. It's a very rich world, but he needs to FINISH something.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #7 on: 2003-09-25, 03:26 »

Series wise, I would suggest Carlos Castaneda's Don Juan books:

The Teachings of Don Juan
A Seperate Reality
Journey to Ixtlan
Tales of Power
The Second Rings of Power
The Eagel's Gift
The Fire From Within
The Power of Silence
The Art of Dreaming

I think that is all of them... It is the only ones I have read at least *shrugs*

Others worth mentioning:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Not his best work, but my favorite (if that makes any sense)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick... perhaps his most well known piece of work, and certainly the easiest to follow (though his less coherent ones are just as nice, even if his writing style is odd at times)
« Last Edit: 2003-09-25, 05:01 by dev/null » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2003-09-25, 19:49 »

Hehe yea dats true con he leaves alot of loose ends in his books.
Also  i find myself skipping several chapters there are lots of "boring" parts lots of talk and no action Slipgate - Smile but still the books is quite nice.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2003-09-26, 03:33 »

Well I'm not much of a book reader, but a book that I recently enjoyed reading was Brain Droppings by George Carlin.  He expands on a lot of his classic comedy pieces and also makes several good points and observations about the human race as well.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-09-27, 09:23 »

games keeper's book of descent english , a must read .
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2003-09-27, 19:01 »

on a more serious not i would like to recomend "a glorious  way to die" by Russell Spurr. its about the kamikazi  mission of the most powerful battleship ever built.
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #12 on: 2005-12-04, 06:12 »

Has anybody read any good books lately ?

I've read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I highly recommend this one. I'm not much of a reader, but I couldn't put the dang thing down ! A London man thinking he knows his place in the world is thrown abruptly into an underworld he never knew existed. Desperate to find his way back to his old life, as he's now obsolete, he finds himself helping a girl from the underworld solve her own mystery. In a world he doesn't understand, he encounters many different things such as talking rats. The book has many twists, and each chapter keeps you wondering. Definetly a page turner !

I'm currently reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. So far I'm liking it. Mixes real history of the Illuminati w/ a fictional story dealing w/ an antimatter bomb. It's actually the prequel to the Da Vinci Code, however, I've not read it. I've been told by many who've read both that they liked this book better. I'll let you guys know what I think of it when I'm done.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-12-04, 09:14 »

I've recently read The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis in its entirety, before that Firebringer by David Clement-Davies.  Before you think about things with feathers, it's about red deer in Scotland actually.  It's a fairly good story along the lines of Watership Down, though it does anthropomorphize the deer's thoughts quite a bit, it's a good read.  Prior to that I read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  (And this is why underlining book titles, while it is proper English, sucks competely when done on a web page, so I shall do it no more.)

I'd beware of the "real history" part regarding Dan Brown's writings.  The Da Vinci Code has caused a great deal of contention because it is a fictional novel, but it's based on a premise that people are regarding as fact that is actually historical speculation regarding Jesus.  I have not read either book myself, but I'd take the safe route with the "history" part.  It doesn't mean you can't enjoy the story if he writes a good novel, just be careful.
Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2005-12-04, 11:46 »

Peter F Hamilton - The nights dawn trilogy.

In contrast to the Ender saga by Card, this series was a total let-down for me. It started out brilliantly in the first book, then went on a tangent, grabbing at straws to keep things interesting. The pseudo-science was apalling, especially compared to other works by the author. If you want to read an absolutely brilliant book by Hamilton, I suggest you try Fallen Dragon first.

Gaiman's works are amazing, btw. I'm currently about to begin in Stephen Fry's The Liar, which is said to be great. Ofcourse, I'll first have to finish the last 100 pages of Rousseau's The Confessions (Eng. Translation) ..
Funny thing is, even though I have tons more (philosophical) reading to do, I actually read more novels (and less audiobooks Slipgate - Smile).
« Last Edit: 2005-12-04, 11:49 by Tabun » Logged

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #15 on: 2005-12-04, 12:26 »

Well, I just read From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne and it was quite pleasing, specially the ending. I will be reading more Jules Verne books. My next one is going to be Five weeks on baloon. Besides that, I also read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince a few days ago, quite amusing too.

l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #16 on: 2005-12-04, 18:56 »

Quote from: Phoenix
I'd beware of the "real history" part regarding Dan Brown's writings.
Yeah, sorry. I meant that it's based on true history.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2005-12-04, 20:21 »

Once you've read Brown's Digital Fortress, and you know a wee bit about how computers and software operate, you will probably realize Dan isn't the kind of guy that cares a whole lot about releasing work that is veritable (as much as it is vendible).
« Last Edit: 2005-12-04, 20:22 by Tabun » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #18 on: 2005-12-05, 14:24 »

Call me old (I am) but I liked almost all of the Gene Wolfe novels, probubly the 'long sun' set the most. I can't discribe how good they are. you just have to try them.

Anybody else read any of his stuff?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #19 on: 2005-12-06, 07:12 »

C.S. Friedman - the Coldfire trilogy (Black Sun Rising, etc)
Dorothy Dunnett - the Lymond chronicles (the Game of Kings, etc)

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: