2024-04-20, 00:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Books Thou Shalt Read (or other useless suggestions)  (Read 15444 times)
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #20 on: 2005-12-11, 14:57 »

wel , my school forced me to read
cisco networking academy program CCNA1 and 2 Compagnion Guide
1000+ pages about networking stuff.
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #21 on: 2005-12-11, 16:46 »

I finished Angels and Demons the other day, and I just finished The Da Vinci Code. I must say that I rather enjoyed both of them. Angels and Demons, to me, was a better read, but that's b/c there was more action and the character had more to lose. Good books.

I'm now going to read The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. We'll see how that one goes.
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #22 on: 2005-12-24, 22:44 »

Ok, so I couldn't get into The Dante Club, so I passed it and read Splintered Icon by Bill Napier. Not the best book I've read, but it wasn't too bad. The action didn't start happening towards the end. *snickers*

I'm now reading The Descent by Jeff Long. So far, this book is f'ed up ! It's like there's a real hell on earth w/ real "demons" which are actually hominid like. I can't explain it, but this book so far is awesome. I like his style of writing, and it's very gruesome at times.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #23 on: 2006-01-04, 18:46 »

I recently finished a booked called "Mao the unknown story" about Chinese communist dictator Mao Tse-tung (if you couldn't figure that out from the title). It paints a very different picture of the late Chairman than is typically present in many circles. Mao is typically depicted as a Heroic champion of the down trodden masses who through cunning guerrilla tactics defeated the nationalist army of Chiang Kai Shek and struggled against the occupying army of the Japanese empire is revealed as a cruel sadistic tyrant who barely had a hand in fighting the Japanese and rather than being a liberator of the poor and underprivileged drove China to even deeper depths of poverty. I'm inclined to believe that generally Mao is viewed as a tyrant by most people and only admired by EXTREME radicals so i really don't see the need for ?unknown story? subtitle but the book is so detailed and meticulously researched anyone interested in Mao will likely find it interesting. On a resent search i discovered that there is a severe lack of books written on the subject of Mao and a google search usually  turns up little more than quotations from his Little red book and various other of his writings so i was extremely pleased to read this book. The interview list was very impressive including virtually every person who knew Mao who is still alive outside of china as well as an impressive host of international figures. ( The Dali Lama, Henry Kissinger, and so on). Fans of the chairman will not likely enjoy the book and might even declare it to be propaganda (though i have yet to encounter one who is able to counter the facts presented in the book ) as it disputes many of the central ideas  of Mao's image ( He spend the long march on a bamboo litter reading books while his men died from exhaustion ) but i think most people with an interest in history will enjoy this book.
« Last Edit: 2006-01-04, 18:48 by Woodsman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2006-01-05, 00:12 »

I'm not surprised one bit.  "By their fruits ye shall know them."  Well, one just has to look at modern China's government policies to get some idea of how Mao was.  I've always assumed he was exactly as you just described - like any other tin-pot dictator, shallow, petty, cruel, and himself a very weak individual.  I'm glad someone researched this and brought it forth.

I think your book there should be required reading.  It might help to dash some of these foolish dreams of a "Communist Utopia" that a lot of misguided children are getting in their heads courtesy of the leftist campuses.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #25 on: 2006-01-08, 10:44 »

A book that everyone should read : Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. It's about a world where reading is FORBIDDEN! Nice book.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #26 on: 2006-02-04, 23:21 »

Read that, and enjoyed it Kruz, I'm currently reading
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/05750...01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've read just about everything by this guy, and found it to be the best I've ever read. if you want to try some, start with 'the shadow of the torturer' about a world that could be ours, near the end of its life, following the mission of an apprentice torturer when he is thrown out of his college. as it progresses you realize a lot of things ain't right, but I can't say what with out spoiling it big time.
I started off reading Burroughs, Dick and Aaimov during the 60's, and been reading SiFi and fantacy ever since. nothing has moved me like Wolfe, except maybe John Crowley.
 Thumbs up!

God, I sound too much like a teacher.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: