2024-04-28, 17:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Which classes? (what classes do y'all use?)  (Read 26494 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #20 on: 2003-10-13, 20:54 »

Yupp doom 64 TC is cool i loved doom64 to the N64 but i missed the co-op but since we have doom64 TC now i can atlast frag those evil demons with my friends at LAN Slipgate - Smile
 ya know footman is a member of the doom64TC team.

Anyway since im an ol QW player i do like slippy but i rather use the other classes if i can, however if a LPBs use the slipgate class i don't stand a chance with my uber ping ;/ oh well life is just not fair sometimes Slipgate - Smile
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #21 on: 2003-10-14, 02:42 »

I use Slipgate because I'm an old QW fan. Like Pho said, it was my first ever online deathmatch game... but I also still play singleplayer q1. It was the game that got me into first person shooters and always will be the best to me. Doom is nice, but Quake was just better to me... especially after playing the latter first.

As for grenades being underused... eeeehehe. I use them when I feel the need. Rockets are nice, but in some situations grenades get the job done A LOT better. And in water I use the nailguns... don't ask me why, but I can't hit jack in water with rockets. Unless there's more than one person in the water with me of course... AND I happen to have a shaft. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #22 on: 2003-10-14, 03:22 »

My first deathmatch experience was with Quake2, which I spent a LOT of time with multiplayer wise. I remember the good old days, three player LAN parties, when my father would actually play on a regular basis because he could win back then Slipgate - Tongue

Quake was, however, my first FPS expereince, and what really got my hooked on computer games (along with Diablo and SimCity 2000). I still love the single player in Quake Slipgate - Smile
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #23 on: 2003-10-14, 15:18 »

Hmm...  well I know many people will probably disagree with my opinion but...

1.)  Arena (I play vanilla Q3 quite a bit.)
2.)  Doom (DOOMY!)
3.)  Earth (Mortar pwnz.)
4.)  Slipgate (No real reason.)
5.)  Strogg (I suck large amounts of ass with this class.)

I first got into the Quake series by playing Quake 2.  I'm not sure why I'm so bad with the Strogg class, but my skills seem to transfer better into the Earth class.  I would also play as Slippy more often, but Slippy to me feels like an underpowered Arena gladiator.  (This is not true of course.  Slipgate - Tongue  It's just how I feel when I play as that class.)  I try using all of the classes for variety though.  Sometimes I'll switch to a specific class in a level if it proves advantageous.
« Last Edit: 2003-10-14, 15:19 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2003-10-14, 17:39 »

Now, while I have no problems with people who prefer using the arena class, I like to see 'em change it up every now and then. Nothing worse than a player named Unnamed Player running around as arena Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2003-10-14, 18:05 »

All classes are whores in one way or another  :lol:

Doom = Shotgun whore - master of FDA
Strogg = Rail whore - long and strong
Slipgate = Rocket whore - loves to rock your world
Arena = Well-Rounded whore - many toys available

Earth...? That's a hard one really... I think he's just a flamer  Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2003-10-14, 18:06 by Tekhead » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2003-10-14, 19:20 »

I dunno, arena is very much a bfg whore when you get it..

earth.. hmm.. does a lot of pounding but runs out of gas quick Slipgate - Tongue

anyhoo, I think this topic is dead..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #27 on: 2003-10-24, 23:26 »

I use the Doom Warriors class. Me + Plasma rifle = dead bots.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #28 on: 2003-10-24, 23:29 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
Earth is my overall favorite class, but he sucks against slipgaters. If there's a lot of slippy's around, I tend to go doom.  Slipgate - Wink
Yeah, I really HATE Slipgaters when they get the RL. Earth stands nary a chance because you can't get near a Slipgater without getting a rocket in the face.

Best bet if you're Earth is to wait for a Strogg or Gladiator to rail the biatch and then unload your Gatling gun(s) in his face when he respawns.
« Last Edit: 2003-10-24, 23:35 by Woolie Wool » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2003-10-24, 23:47 »

Yup. As earth, if you get within rocket range of a slipgater, your  goose is cooked. You don't have much time to kill said slipgater. If the Slippy is armored, you're not likely to get  the second chance that you need.

Oh well.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #30 on: 2003-10-25, 00:06 »

I have returned(for now). Slipgaters have the advantage of the single barrel shotgun being an autoloader and the shaft having a continuous beam to fry other classes with. They also drop packs when they die so it's good to shoot them. Strogg seems to have the best rocketpipe as it can reload quickly for follow up shots. Strogg also gets the more powerful of the 2 railguns and the biggest selection of guns to choose from. Too bad his melee weapon is that wimpy pistol, but then saws and axes can't handle the real stuff either. Doom seems to have the best double barrel shotgun. Earth sarges seem to have a good weapon in the dual gats and the flamethrower, but overall, earth seems to need tight spaces to lurk in to be effective. All of this is based on Gen.B because I haven't installed C yet. Tell me if the weapons have changed radiclly. DAMN it sucks to have a slow connection(or none at all). B)
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #31 on: 2003-10-25, 00:20 »

Puh-lease. The Slippy shotguns just plain suck.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2003-10-25, 00:32 »

99c plays quite a bit differently than 99b. I'd try it if I were you. There's a LOT of changes.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #33 on: 2003-10-25, 00:35 »

I've been playing 99a, so I guess it will be like a whole new mod for me.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2003-10-25, 01:50 »

Oh yes it would. Slipgate - Wink
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #35 on: 2003-10-25, 03:19 »

Quote from: Angst
I dunno, arena is very much a bfg whore when you get it..
I find that the lightning gun makes for a very good spamming tool as well. It's quite annoying too, as it always seems to be in use when te BFG isn't :\
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #36 on: 2003-10-25, 18:50 »

I've been playing 99a, so I guess it will be like a whole new mod for me

your gonna miss dooms supershotgun , trust me .
« Last Edit: 2003-10-25, 18:50 by games keeper » Logged
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #37 on: 2003-10-28, 03:46 »

I meant it was fast, I didn't say it hit hard. Also the arena shotgun seems kind of wimpy too, probably because of it's wide scatter. One of the worst weapon problems seems to be the nails for the slipgate nailguns. The seem a little too slow to hit anything, especially on the Flying Plutonians map. The low velocity of the nails makes them only useful at point blank range. I've also noticed the Earth sniper rifle shoots low. A real gun has a drop, but only at very long range. A typical 30 caliber rifle has almost no drop until 300 yards. The Earth sniper rifle looks like a 50 caliber M-82 which is laser straight to at least 500 yards. Most maps don't have ranges that look like more than 200 yards. Anyway, on the longest yard, it's a challenge to use. I use Earth a lot, especially when I can get the torch.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2003-10-28, 04:26 »

The drop on the sniper rifle is deliberate. I know it is a bit extreme, but we wanted to make it more than a 'trail-less railgun'.

So we gave it drop and a richochet.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #39 on: 2003-11-05, 09:22 »

I've never really hit anything with the ricochet. I think I only saw it frag something once out of pure luck. I still think the slipgater nails might be a little slow. Will the knife and axe ever have animation? The axe in Generations looks way to good to just sit there. Even a simple downward swing would be good. This is a bit off topic, but it might be important: when bots load on the server for teamplay they don't always make balanced teams. I once saw a team with 4 or 6 bots against me and 1 bot. It was sure to be a bug, but I've also seen matches where 1 team will have all high ranking bots and the other will be all mediocre. Ex. Red- xaero, hunter, klesk Blue- mynx, ranger, stripe. With homemade bots it becomes even more obvious. Back to the original topic- I usually pick Earth because of the napalm launcher, the mp-40, and the mortar.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: