2024-03-29, 09:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: city64q3 beta map (check it out)  (Read 6474 times)
ROADKILL

Spectre

« on: 2003-10-18, 04:09 »

there's a beta copy of city64q3 up on my website for you guys to check out.
I still have allot of lighting to do yet and the water tunnel brushes
are giving q3map2 fits.
check it out and let me know what ya think.

http://members.cox.net/~patrick.kennedy/

unzip it to your generations directory and then use
~ /map city64q3_1a to run it from in generations.
thanks
ROADKILL
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-18, 19:16 »

Looks nice roadkill, im glad you're still working on those 64 maps! games keeper will be very happy Slipgate - Wink
Anyway i've never played the original map so i don't know how the original looked.  but it doesnt looks right using those gothic block textures... .. you should use a more base like texture set.
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #2 on: 2003-10-18, 20:09 »

Quote from: ReBoOt
Looks nice roadkill, im glad you're still working on those 64 maps! games keeper will be very happy Slipgate - Wink
Anyway i've never played the original map so i don't know how the original looked.  but it doesnt looks right using those gothic block textures... .. you should use a more base like texture set.
ya I'm still plying with the lighting and textures.
was going to try gensurf for all the ugly flat outdoor areas also.
got some trees and bushes to go in here also.
didn't want to add too many new textures to it that everyone
doesn't have.
otherwise the pk3 file will get too big for the 56k'rs to enjoy.
thanks
ROADKILL
 :hat:
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-10-18, 20:42 »

well aslong as youre using .jpg's they don't take that much space, oh yes i fogot..that green rock texture is awfully ugly..there are many good custom rock textures out there try one of those Slipgate - Smile .. that q3 one just blows..
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-10-22, 18:03 »

Yup, .jpg for base levels of a shader, or shaderless textures. tga files are only needed for items using alpha-blends.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #5 on: 2003-10-23, 17:50 »

gensurf blows, use easygen
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-10-24, 04:19 »

While I know the map is beta and is in-progress, I wanted to point out a few glaring problems that drove me nuts while testing it.

1)  Multiple water textures underwater.  This was really wierd to look at and even weirder to go through them.

2)  "Hall of mirrors".  I've found this in various parts of the level, but the worst is in the underwater cave that leads to the regeneration.  I got stuck and could not get out, so I ended up drowning because the HOM was so bad.

3)  Rock texture.  It clashes, horribly, with the rest of the map.

4)  Emptiness of map.  I've never played the original city64, but the level seemed lacking in the items department.

Those are the major concerns I have.  Other than that, the lighting is flat and the level seems like it could use some visual spiffiing up and has several missing textures.  The usual stuff you expect partway through a beta.  It's a big map with lots of room to get lost in, so I think prettying it up a bit might help add to the feel of the map.  If it can be made more Q2-ish in feel, namely texture and lighting department that would be a plus.  I don't mind wandering a bit but I know other players tend to bore easily unless they find something to kill pretty quickly.

On the plus side I had no problems running it with the current Gen beta build.  Loaded smooth and didn't hit any graphical snags.  The map geometry flows about as you'd expect and the ladders and lifts all work right.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-25, 02:24 »

Quote from: Phoenix
While I know the map is beta and is in-progress, I wanted to point out a few glaring problems that drove me nuts while testing it.

I'll put up beta version 1b tonight.
haven't been able to get to the under water cave yet.
but I've been playing with a different set of textures and
the lighting.
all of the cheesy bar lights from q2 are going to be replaced
with the orange and white combo.
the rock has been switch for a new texture also.
the weird water textures came from csg clipping the pipe.
haven't put the new ones in yet.
thanks
ROADKILL
 Who's Your Daddy?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2003-10-27, 09:24 »

-those multiply water textures way actually ool in a way , if you where standing in the right way looking at it .

-well there is something wrong with rocks outside , more textures thee and maybe some trees or plants or vegetables could be cool . (make them solid , not like the barrels on sewer64 ) Slipgate - Smile

-and some rooms are a bit dark , but you havent put in all the lightning and so , so no problem there .

-about emptyness of map , if you would have played the original pho , on a descent atleast 32+ players for it , you would know that it was always scamble to get that gun lying n front of you . even if it was 10 meters in front of ya it was rushing with blastershots in your arse to get it .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: