2024-03-28, 13:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BETA: req2dm3  (Read 10147 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2003-10-30, 21:15 »

Alright i've released a beta of my q2dm3 remake - the frag pipe.
Get it Here!

now everyone thank crazy.joe for an alternate download location: Mirror: http://crazyjoe.cadsultants.net/downloads/...s/req2dm3b7.zip
thanks dude!

Since i use ladders on this map it WILL NOT work in vannila q3 you MUST use the Generations mod! if anyone complains about ladders not working and i find out that you tried this map in vanilla q3 i will... Slipgate - Wink

The map is pretty much finished there are some minor things that needs to be changed.
Yes there's  no working "lava pipe" since the lava emitts water sound it just don't work sounds pretty silly when you walk thru the pipe and here that water sound when there's no water/lava there...... for the moment im using grenade shooters but dicion came up with a great idea by using lasers instead of shooters i'll add those as soon as pho releases the gen ents.

Anyway i need YOU to run around this map if you see a bug please take a screenshot of the area and either post it here or send it to my e-mail. also check how the gameplay works is there enuff guns and items?
Bots works but they wont even try to use a ladder that's nothing i can do about.

Well that's about it, i should upload some screenies but i feel lazy Slipgate - Smile maybe tomorrow.

now go and test it!
« Last Edit: 2003-11-01, 00:55 by ReBoOt » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-31, 04:24 »

Why don't you set the switch to move 2 plats, one being the box of lava, which isn't actually lava (no sound) since you just need to make a shader with surfaceparm nonsolid in it, and then another trigger_hurt for the damage

instant lava tube

Also I think its inconsistent using both ladders and jump pads, but that's just my subjective opinion
« Last Edit: 2003-10-31, 04:33 by Devlar » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-10-31, 05:42 »

I think the problem with plats is they make a noise.  As for lasers, the lasers cannot be made invisible so you'll have a bunch of beams all over the place.  However, you COULD anchor a few napalm shooters to the floor or ceiling.  I believe I made three versions - one standard, one "clouds only", and one "clouds only" at a slower rate of damage checking.  That might be an option.  I could always add an option to "silence" the plat.

I'm in agreement with Devlar here.  Bouncepads are not Q2-ish.  We can always code bot behavior to use ladders later.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2003-10-31, 20:29 »

If I remember correctly the lava tube did make a platform sound in the original quake 2 version, I may be wrong
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-10-31, 21:04 »

Well as pho said the plats makes noise and since plats in q3 doesnt have a plat sound they just beep. i know you can fix this by addind a sound with the right name and path but then we come to another problem, in gen mappack 1 there is a plat sound but if i whould like to use another one than that one those two diffrent sounds whould "overwrite" eachother.. so im afriad plats is a no.

btw in q2 that lava trap was a door not a plat.

Well the bounce pads is just a "test" they do improve the gameplay but i could go back using just ladders i really wanted to know what ya thougt of using bounce pads in the map. Slipgate - Smile still im not sure if i should use a plat instead of a bounce pad in the slime area.
crazy.joe

Ogre

« Reply #5 on: 2003-10-31, 21:33 »

Could we put this on the tx server and test it out as a group?  Sipgate - Evil
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-10-31, 21:37 »

Can someone throw it up on another host? For some reason I can't access reboot.wireheadstudios.net. =(
crazy.joe

Ogre

« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-31, 21:45 »

http://crazyjoe.cadsultants.net/downloads/...s/req2dm3b7.zip

give it about 2 minutes...my upload is only 14kbps :-\

[done & verified]
« Last Edit: 2003-10-31, 21:46 by crazy.joe » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-01, 00:53 »

? that's strange works prefectly for me..

thanks alot crazy hopefully that download location will work for those ppls who can't download at the other site.

btw i don't know if you have noticed but this map do use styled lights (aka flashing lights) quite neat if i may say so Slipgate - Smile take a look at those buttons and you'll se
crazy.joe

Ogre

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-01, 01:08 »

re-Q2DM3 beta 7 Screenshots:

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-02, 21:19 »

hehe tnx for uploading those screens i know i should do it but i just don't have the time for the moment. tnx again crazy Slipgate - Laugh
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-11-11, 04:57 »

I like the mixture of ladders and platforms. It helps set the flow. There's only a one place I'd change it though.

The RL room, make that a short ladder instead of a pad.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2003-11-11, 11:17 »

Ah yes, I was wondering where this baby went. I'll check it out :]

[Done]

Well then, this certainly looks one hell of a lot better than the unvis'ed beta I was shown a while back :]

Great lighting, very moody, like the original :]
I still can't hide behind the column near the chaingun, and the frag pipe's glass is still WAY too bright here, shouldn't be too hard to whip up a shader/texture that allows for a darker shade even when repeated 4x (when looking straight through to the other side).

Pentagram & Q2 symbol are very nice touches :]

[Second edit]

After a bit of playing, I noticed I can't do the ramp-jump to the railgun anymore either - possibly because the opposing platform doesn't have ramps on the sides :]]

Also, the roof in the RL area HAS to be lower, rockets hitting the ceiling should hurt players there... It's too easy to camp there if they don't :]

And to complete the list.. I'm still falling through into the lava here, and I still believe I shouldn't...
« Last Edit: 2003-11-11, 12:12 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-11-11, 21:34 »

hehe yea lights do make the lvl looks much better Slipgate - Wink hmm ok i'll make that column wider.. yea the pipe is a bit shiney overall q3's glass looks bad.. hmm i'll see if i can make a new glass shader, but i really hate to touch those shaders. o_O

hehe glad you liked that q2 symbol Slipgate - Smile

uhm about that ramp dunno really what you mean could you please take a screenshot of the area?

ok since we (all?) don't like campers i'll lower that ceiling Slipgate - Laugh

hmm well you trip into the lava pretty easy on the q2 map too..and if you do try to get the invulnerbility power up you really should pay for trying Slipgate - Wink so..hmm i could make the plat one or two units wider..but increasing the size more than that whould really destroy the point of having that lava trap there.

anyhoo i want to thank yall for you comments and input! i might have another version for ya tomorrow, i've been removing most bounce pads but i decided to save two of them.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2003-11-11, 21:56 »

Hopefully you kept the one from the bottom center to the RL room. Earth and Strogg are just too slow and would never make it up that ladder.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-11-11, 22:48 »

yupp the one to the RL is still there, and the bounce pad to the railgun is there. hmm the ladders really should be quicker to climb..i mean certain classes climb those ladders so slow..
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2003-11-12, 02:20 »

I've whipped up some screenshots to show what I mean:

a. the ramps:

Just to allow a player to jump via the sides, should work the same in q3.

b. the gap-but-you-don't-fall-in above the lavapit. In the original, the left hand side of the walkway is easier to drop off of, because of your momentum when jumping down from the invul. spot.

The original q2 setup made it less of a nuisance being sniped from the ssg area.

Looking good - and looking forward to kicking ass in it! :]
« Last Edit: 2003-11-12, 02:21 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2003-11-12, 14:30 »

about that lava  sound stuff reboot ,
I know that it wasnt there in q3fp2002 (also a fragpipe remake ) maybe you should ask that guy how he did it   ( i still got his MSN and email Slipgate - Wink  )
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-11-12, 20:46 »

ah ok tnx tab Slipgate - Smile the ramp jump is easly fixed that's because i rised the floor abit cuz you could jump rightover when using a high com_maxfps setting but i'll lower it abit making those jumps possible.

ok i see that i made that lava room too wide i'll fix that asap Slipgate - Smile

GK: hmm i think i'll have to play thru that q3fp2002 map, maybe i can find out how he did it, but don't delete his email Slipgate - Smile i might need it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: