2024-03-29, 10:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Problems... (Help Mr. Null with his issues)  (Read 9190 times)
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« on: 2003-01-28, 01:58 »

I recently upgraded my brother's PC (about the same time I did mine) and it has been buggy from the start. After a reformatting most of the problems ceased, except one. There is one specific problem that continues to arise during the installation of several games.

Note: The following problem accures while trying to instal Battlefield 1942, but the exact same problem (but worded differently) appears within Aliens versus Predator 2 also. The problem files in AvP2 were AVP2.REZ and SOUNDS.REZ though.

CRC error: The file C:\ProgramFiles\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Archives\menu.rft (as well as Battleaxe.rfa, sound.rfa, El_Almein.rfa, and textures.rfa later on in the instal) doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupt, contact your software vendor.

At first I thought it was the CD-Rom, as I was using a rather old one. I switched them today, but no noticable changed took place. The system specs are as followed: K7S5A Socket A Mainboard, 2 PC133 RAM (256 and 128), GeForce4 MX440, and an Athalon 1000.

Normally I wouldn't ask for help like this but this seems to be a bit over my head... At the current time I'm thinking the proc might be the problem, but I figured I'd do some research before going out and getting a new one.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2003-01-28, 08:39 »

errors such as this tend to stem from either failing harddrives, or damaged installation media. Ram and cpu also enter into the equation, but if it's just those two titles, you might want to take a look at getting them resurfaced..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-01-28, 09:16 »

A good way to tell if the CD-ROM is at fault is to rip a .wav file from an audio track and see if it gets full of static.  I'd recommend the following either way:

Run a cleaning disk through the CD-ROM drive to make sure the optical sensor isn't dirty.
Visually inspect the media for any scratches, especially those that look like they run parallel to tracks.  Those are the worst.  If your disks don't look "mirror-perfect" invest in a DVD Dr and resurface the disks.  It will leave a pattern, it doesn't affect the read ability, but it should clear the scratches off.  Do a surface scan on the harddrive to make sure there aren't any bad sectors.  Defrag afterward.  Reboot, and shut down EVERY non-essential program.  Install + test.  If it still borks, see if you can manually extract the files from the disk and compare them.  Try replacing the affected file manually.  If nothing works I would suspect a bad memory area in ram.  You might even try a ram checking utility.  If you're OC'ing then shame on you, otherwise make sure no jumpers are mis-set on the MB, try re-seating the RAM in different slots, or removing all but 1 module and change slots, then test the other one, repeat, etc.  Reinstalling drivers might help also.

Best I can think of.  If nothing works then I'm at a loss except a hardware compatibility fault or else Windows itself having a corruption somewhere.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #3 on: 2003-01-28, 16:39 »

errors such as this tend to stem from either failing harddrives, or damaged installation media. Ram and cpu also enter into the equation, but if it's just those two titles, you might want to take a look at getting them resurfaced..

It's only those two titles so far. I haven't really attempting putting anything else except Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Grand Theft Auto 3, which both went in fine. I wouldn't see why the disks would need resurfaced though when I can install them on several other computer with no problems at all. Besides, both disks have perfect looking surfaces to the naked eye... Infact my brother had just purchased Battlefield 1942 a few weeks ago and this is only the forth time it's been used.

If it still borks, see if you can manually extract the files from the disk and compare them.  Try replacing the affected file manually.

I attempted to go about it that way, I also tried using a virtual CD-Rom. Neither of which worked.

If nothing works I would suspect a bad memory area in ram.  You might even try a ram checking utility.  If you're OC'ing then shame on you, otherwise make sure no jumpers are mis-set on the MB, try re-seating the RAM in different slots, or removing all but 1 module and change slots, then test the other one, repeat, etc.  Reinstalling drivers might help also.

Well, I guess it's time to play around with the RAM then...
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2003-01-28, 16:50 »

FYI, there are no jumpers on the K7S5A, save for the CMOS, do don't go looking for any dev.
At any rate, the MB wouldn't have much to do with this problem.  I'd delete the install entirely and reinstall.  If it was some kind of hardware glitch, I'd expect the problem to show in a different/random area.  If it's the same files damaged, I'd suspect the medium.
The K7S5A does get a little picky about RAM.  Is it generic cheap RAM?  Try using just one stick or swap a known good stick  from your PC.  Also, you might find that it won't run stable @ 133/133 with the stock chipset cooling - you may need to put a little fan on it (like a 486 cooler).  Definetly change the thermal medium underneath it though - it's just frag tape.  That white goop would be good enough, and a little dab of super glue in the corners to hold the whole thing on... MMMMMMMM
AMDMB would have lots of info on this board and probably more tech help than you need.
But I'm no tech, your milage may vary.
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2003-01-28, 20:28 »

HEY HEY HEY!!! HOLD UP!

before you go doing something drastic like replacing your mobo or reformatting/reinstalling...

take a CDROM drive from a computer that you've successfully installed BF1942 on, and put it in the comp that's having problems... i can almost guarantee you that it will work.  the problem is simple: BF1942's bullsh*t copy protection scheme.  so far i have seen it do very little to stop crackers (gamecopyworld.com has a no-CD crack for 1.2), and i've heard lots of complaints about not being able to install or various other issues from people who've legitimately purchased the game.

basically the copy protection method takes advantage of how CD recording software looks at the disc, as opposed to how it's read by windows, and messes with the file/directory structure to fool the CD recording software into making a nonfunctional copy.  usually you can still install from the copy, but the game won't recognize it as a BF1942 CD, and won't let you play off it.  however, this copy protection scheme violates the ISO9660/Joliet extension standards, and as a result, some CDROM drives, even some newer ones, have trouble reading the discs.

i say to EA and other developers, f*ck copy protection, it's not going to do you much good anyways, long term, and you're just hurting legitimate consumers.

btw, as for your AvP2, i'm not sure whether it uses any methods of copy protection, so can't be 100% sure about the copy protection being the problem... i'm 99% sure though, because i've heard reports from my fellow lantrocity attendees of BF1942 not installing properly on their system, but the disc installs fine on their friend's.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #6 on: 2003-01-28, 20:38 »

Hehe, copy protection or not I got everything working again. I simply took out the 128mb RAM chip. So the computer's only running 256mb of RAM now, but it is running properly Slipgate - Smile
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2003-01-28, 20:44 »

errrrr.... removing memory made BF1942 install properly?  wtf?  have you tried putting it back in after installing, and see if you get any gameplay issues?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2003-01-28, 20:53 »

Oh, mismatched RAM sticks, eh?  Yeah, sometimes the K7S5A hates that.  Best bet (as always) is to buy quality matching sticks.  But then again, you should always buy quality RAM.  With the price of SDRam these days, there's no excuse not too.
Or better yet, take this as a sign that it's time to buy that PC2100 Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2003-01-28, 20:54 by dna » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #9 on: 2003-01-28, 20:59 »

If it were my computer I would have high quality RAM in it, but my brother's a cheapskate... Actually, the chip I pulled out was from some shitty Dell computer I upgraded for a friend if I remember correctly Slipgate - Sad
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #10 on: 2003-01-29, 00:44 »

i need to upgrade..but i dunno where to start  Doom - Huh?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: