2024-03-28, 11:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: final beta test (req2dm3 - i need help.. NOW)  (Read 16179 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2003-11-22, 20:54 »

ok i need some ppls running thru this lvl and check that everythings ok and i need YOU to do it. if you find anything that's needs to be changed, or a bug please report it.... if all goes well this will be the final.

Download it Here!

EDIT:
mirror: http://medlem.spray.se/reboots/quake3/maps...s/req2dm3b8.htm

however i do have a question for ya, should the fragpipe have the ol lava trap or should it be using gen's napalm shooters? hmm maybe i should do a poll about this...
« Last Edit: 2003-11-23, 01:59 by ReBoOt » Logged
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-22, 21:35 »

Downloading, gonna go have a run around.

If you can get it to work and look good at the same time, the lava trap would be great. Couldnt you incorporate both? Put the shooters into the lavatrap somehow? Dunno how your going about it, or going to go about it so i dont have any suggestions on the way of doing it. *shrug*

Edit: Ok, just finished playing with some bots. The bots play well enough, but whos gonna play with bots?

Flow is great, gameplay is better than the original. The new fragpipe look is great, adds a nice touch.

The thing is, the lava. You get knocked into it, your dead meat. I can see slippy doing well here, i doubt he'll rack up many kills, but im sure the other classes will end up in the negatives unless they are good at anti-skippy tactics. Cant you make the lava more quake2-ish? Isnt the damage dealt defined in the shader?
Thats the only thing i can see wrong with this.

I also noticed i dont turn purple when i have quad and pent when im Strogg. <_< But theres nothing you can do about that Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2003-11-22, 22:10 by Daedalus » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-22, 23:37 »

The lava damage is going to be set to q2 values in .99d, so don't worry about that. Q3's lava sucks, period.

And damnit, I can't d/l from that site. I don't know wtf is going on with that. Can anyone grab it and send it to me?
« Last Edit: 2003-11-22, 23:38 by ConfusedUs » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-23, 01:42 »

oh well im not done with the bots yet, i created some bot_roams today but i put too much weight in the pipe that's going to change Slipgate - Smile but as you said who cares about bots anyways? hehe

well i've tested the lava in 99d and it works great there so don't fear Slipgate - Smile
btw you can't change the amount of damage done by lava, slime via shaders. you need to change the q3 source for that.
well slippy do pretty well on this lvl but so far i must say this looks to be a doomish lvl Slipgate - Smile

aight con i can try to upload this map on another server but my connection is acting wierd today... :/

EDIT: ok there's another download location, try that one if the first doesnt work.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-23, 02:00 by ReBoOt » Logged
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-23, 17:42 »

Ok, now thats cleared up, it looks to be a very exciting level, we should do some playtesting on it.

One thing, could you originally jump from the SSG to the RA?
I was doing this quite alot and it seemed too easy, kinda of making the ladder to the RA useless.
Also, this makes doing a pent/quad combo quite easy. From pent you can jump down, through to SSG, across to the RA, RJ into the quad area and then either drop into the main room or go back to the Fragpipe.
It just seems to easy for the reward you get *shrug*
I dont have Q2 installed on this machine so i cant check
« Last Edit: 2003-11-23, 17:43 by Daedalus » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-23, 20:30 »

yes you could, easily too. the ladder's only purpose is for 'quick' access after entering the area through the shards hallway.

P.S. sorry about not getting the stuff done :]
« Last Edit: 2003-11-23, 20:32 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-23, 21:48 »

Well, i wouldnt say it was "quick" access anymore. More like "unbearably slow, am i gonna get railed up the ass?" access
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-24, 02:39 »

daed: well i've been trying to stay as close as possible to the original lvl but some things had to be changed such as replacing some ladder with bounce pads to improve the flow of the game. yes you can access the quad when using invuln. but you could do that in the original lvl too.

that's quite alright Tabun Slipgate - Smile i can use the standard q3 glass no worries but you know i still have time, so if you get the time... it's not too late Slipgate - Wink

hehe yea you gotta think twice before going up those ladders Slipgate - Smile the gen ladders is a bit slow..i'll ask pho about speeding them up.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-24, 02:56 »

I have three issues with the map.

1) The ledges surrounding the lava pits are too high to get out of once you fall in. I seem to remember being able to get out in the original. This wasn't an issue in 99c, where q3 lava = death, but in 99d, you'll bake for several seconds before you die.

2) zebra-ing in the fragpipe itself when the lava's up. Screenies attached.

3) It's possible to hit the button again to raise the lava before the doors open. In fact, if you stand on the button, the doors will never open till you get off. Adjust the timer.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-24, 02:57 »

zebra-ing screen #2

Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-24, 09:43 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs

2) zebra-ing in the fragpipe itself when the lava's up. Screenies attached.

3) It's possible to hit the button again to raise the lava before the doors open. In fact, if you stand on the button, the doors will never open till you get off. Adjust the timer.
Z-buffer errors are easily fixed, just make sure 2 faces dont coincide on the same plane at the same point that can be seen and itll be fine.
The only way around this that i can think of is, to make a 2nd, lava brush, thats a few units smaller on all sides than the fragpipe itself that is the "lava trap" brush that moves.
It being smaller than the rest of the room wont matter too much as you'll be too roasty to notice from the inside, and it wont look any different for the spectators Slipgate - Smile

And IIRC, i thought you could keep the door shut in the original?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-11-24, 09:45 »

It's been quite a long time, but it doesn't ring a bell that you could do that.

Of course I hated the fragpipe back then, and didn't play it often.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2003-11-24, 18:30 »

con , dont forget that in quake 2 your view went al white whien you took damage , so you couldnt see under the lava there.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #13 on: 2003-11-24, 19:52 »

Another beta.....yay!
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2003-11-24, 23:39 »

ok im gonna play thru the q2 lvl and check if you could get out of the lava pits im also gonna check about that button it's easy to fix. yea you can make the brush a few units smaller or you can overlap the door brush.  ok nothing worse than this? Slipgate - Smile thnx all who tested! you rock!
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2003-11-24, 23:47 »

Nope, nothing worse than that! Slipgate - Wink
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2003-11-25, 00:17 »

Slipgate - Laugh excellent! then i only have the shooters left... Thumbs up!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2003-11-25, 04:46 »

Don't bother to check, I'm the q2dm3 freak here, and I'm telling you: the only way to get out is by rocket jumping :]
Excluding ofcourse the one area - where there's a ladder :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2003-11-25, 05:44 »

This map is up on the Beta Test server now, so any Beta Testers want to give it a spin with the current 99d test build go for it!  I also have Angst's map up.  Check the Beta Board for more details!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #19 on: 2003-11-25, 21:53 »

hehe ok tab i trust you Slipgate - Wink but i'll do some test just in case hehe, btw the fragpipe looks quite cool now with four napalm shooters and lava...hehe good luck surviving this trap Slipgate - Wink

cool pho tnx alot Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2003-11-25, 21:55 by ReBoOt » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: