2024-03-29, 11:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Blame the toys (and the games...)  (Read 10922 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2003-11-25, 09:46 »

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/24/news/compa...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Let's raise a nice good generation of pacifists that can learn to play well with all the bloodthirsty terrorists in the world and never ever have violent thoughts or get angry!  They might punch someone in the nose and that won't be good!  We can't expose them to the dangerous things in the world, it might bruise their self esteem!  It's ok if their nonviolence gets them horribly mutilated and murdered or blown up in a suicide airplane crash as long as they're nice to others!(/dripping sarcasm)

This makes me sick!  Sure, maybe Jesus once said to "turn the other cheek", and sometimes you should, but he also told his disciples to buy swords dammit.  These people need to GET A LIFE and stop telling everyone else how to live theirs!
Banging Head against Wall

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-25, 15:29 »

Eh... I grew up mutilating army men and painting blood all over them, so I'll be the last one in the world to put down such violence, however, if a child wants these toys, they're already too far down the shithole to matter to me. Seriously let's look at it:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: An absolutely great comic book in its day, however, the new incarnations are so utterly stupid it pains me to think about it and almost completely destroys any of that childhood nostalgia that I'm fond of.

Power Rangers: Okay, come on now, when was the Power Rangers ever actually cool? Never, that's why they need new robots and gimmicks every year to promote interest.

Transformers: Ah, another one of those fond childhood memories which have been tainted because producers wanted to bring it back in a new form for the children of today. Beast Wars was okay, sure, but anything after that should have been tried for heresy and burnt!

WWE: HAHAHA! Do I really need to say anything about this one? You might as well buy your kid a twelve pack of Busch (or an equally cheap, watered down alcoholic beverage) and teach him how to beat his wife "properly".

Jak: Well, I can't say anything about that, because honestly, I don't know what the Hell it is :\

The Hulk: Eh, I was never really fond of the Hulk personally, though the latest things to come from it has simply justified that dislike.

X-Men: One of my favorite comics as a child, as well as cartoon series. The movies were actually quite good, however, the new cartoon (Generation X-Men, or whatever) is a horrible misuse of licensing.

Spider-Man: A decent comic book and a good Saturday morning cartoon during those days of my life. However, every series after that has been disgusting, especially that lame-ass one on MTV. The animation alone on that one makes me want to vomit. Let's not even get started on the movie... Eh. It had such potential, but they picked the lamest cast they possibly could have.

2 Fast 2 Furious: Stuff like this should not even have a place on the market. Does it promote violence? Who cares! It promotes wigers, and I'd much rather have a violent child than a child who doesn't know how to wear his hat the right way or keep his underwear in his pants... Not even to mention the horrible musical tastes and speech impediments that come with it.

The Matrix: Well, this talks about Reloaded and Enter the Matrix, so I can say that this category sucks too. I do, however, own a few of the action figure from the first Matrix Slipgate - Wink

Terminator: T3 sucked, it's as easy as that. Sure, it was entertaining, but it wasn't really anything we haven't seen before. The TX was a dumb idea anyway. If you want Terminator action figures, I still have three of mine from Judgment Day, I'm sure you can find some too.

Manhunt: Yuck! Another mediocre game from Rockstar that totally relies on shock value for entertainment. In a way, I can't argue about the effects this product has on children, however, I'd rather just watch the Running Man Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2003-11-25, 15:31 by dev/null » Logged
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-25, 17:04 »

i can tell you one thing when i was a lad the only way you were getting my TMNT figures away from me was from my cold dead hands.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-25, 19:25 »

I still have all of mine, they're all in the attic. That's saying a lot too, because I do, literally have nearly all of them. Vern (the camera guy), the neo samuria, dinosaur riders, and the sewer play set are the only things I'm missing, I believe Slipgate - Wink
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-25, 20:03 »

Some ppl. Good lord. GET A LIFE ! Gah ... ppl need to quick nit picking about this is violent, and this will make your kids kill ppl. Honestly, if you shelter a child too much, they won't be ready for the real world when reality smacks them in the face.

I think pho sums it up w/ this, and I'm going to do it as well :
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-25, 20:59 »

Polio used to be dubbed "the rich kid's disease" because it often struck those people who were brought up in wealthy homes that were always kept sanitary. Beacuse they were kept in a clean enviroment, their bodies were unable to build up natural immunities that you get from being outside, playing around in the mud and whatnot.

I think that the "rich kid's disease" runs parallel with the situation at hand here.

This idealism that "everything violent should be covered up, sealed away from the eyes of our children otherwise they'll be corrupted" crap has got to go. Kids will grow up, and (most - there are exceptions) they'll leave the house to pursue a life of their own. If we shelter them from conflict, they're not going to know how to deal with it, and who knows what will happen when that time of revelation comes... homosexuality? MTV drama recreations? exploited at others' expense? drugged? wimp out? Also, if the parents shelter their kids, odds are that the kids will shelter their own kids, replicating what could be a recipie for disaster in life.

I suppose that the "Maryland-based public interest group The Lion & Lamb Project:" aims at enriching children's lives for their sake, but is it worthwhile if you neuter them in the process? If this idea that kids need to be sheltered with violence ensues, all we'll do is create a generation of adults that get walked on for a living.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-25, 21:03 by Tekhead » Logged
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-25, 21:09 »

The Lion & Lamb Project has been gaining alot of attention lately, I have noticed, heard about it month ago...now its on the news again....uhg..
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-25, 21:32 »

lmao, this goes along with that hulk doll that had a 'hulk penis' ..  stttupid people..
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-25, 23:59 »

I just love how Manhunt is on their list, and yet it's rated M. Why aren't any R-rated movies on that list?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-26, 04:10 »

Quote from: dev/null
if a child wants these toys, they're already too far down the shithole to matter to me.
I'm more concerned with the thought police gestapo mentality here than how lame the toys on their list might be.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-26, 15:55 »

I blame it all on Gameskeeper.
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #11 on: 2003-11-26, 21:15 »

Transformers aren't violent... Chucky from Child's Play is a violent toy! What? Is Optimus Prime going to come alive and start killing people? Please, they need to alert people to the real danger such as Gigli (sp?)...

Beer? I'm down.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #12 on: 2003-11-27, 11:35 »

Wonderful.

Based in MD, huh? I think I could show these pricks a thing or two...  Sipgate - Evil
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-11-30, 14:04 »

I  blame it all on Gameskeeper
what the....
what did I do ?

anyway , I liked transformers , and beast wars , and spiderman , and x-man

dont like the rest
about 2 fast 2 furious , anyone of you played need for speed underground ?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #14 on: 2003-11-30, 15:00 »

Quote from: Assamite
Wonderful.

Based in MD, huh? I think I could show these pricks a thing or two...  Sipgate - Evil
Video games don't make people violent, and I'll kill anybody who says so!
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #15 on: 2003-11-30, 15:02 »

Quote from: games keeper
I  blame it all on Gameskeeper
what the....
what did I do ?

anyway , I liked transformers , and beast wars , and spiderman , and x-man

dont like the rest
about 2 fast 2 furious , anyone of you played need for speed underground ?
You know exactly what you did, what you're doing, and what you're going to do.

Don't play the inocent.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2003-11-30, 22:07 »

While I'm not even going to comment on some of your opinions on the toys... Bastards... Slipgate - Laugh

I would like to take a snippet from the article and criticize it (to make myself feel special and important. Slipgate - Tongue)

"'Like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, this is another television-generated brand with the message that the best way to solve problems is through violence,' White said, noting that while Power Rangers are portrayed as good guys they solve problems by fighting."

What I find so rediculously funny is that there were two major events in recent history that had to be solved by the good guys fighting the bad guys.  If I remember correctly, they were called World War 1 and World War 2.  I could be entirely delusional though.

Plus just for record (alright I am commenting on your opinions,) Sentai pwnz and Dai-kaiju pwnz.  I'll kill anyone (in effigy or virtually,) who disagrees with me.  Sipgate - Evil

Added:  Due to the request of Games keeper and done in a non-projectile-based-weapon fashion...
/me sics Spanish Godzilla on dna
« Last Edit: 2003-11-30, 22:19 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2003-11-30, 22:09 »

shoot dna for me , he knows to much   <_<
(I think he knows even more then me )   :unsure:
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #18 on: 2003-11-30, 23:53 »

*eep*
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #19 on: 2003-12-01, 06:25 »

Now now....we must not kill board members.....yet....Thats a 5000 post privilage
 Sipgate - Evil
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: