2024-04-19, 16:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: .php docs (How do you edit them little buggers?)  (Read 8930 times)
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2003-01-29, 06:58 »

I can't seem to crack 'em open to get at their innards... Slipgate - Sad
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2003-01-29, 07:10 »

Oh, never mind.  
Mmmm, tasty little guys...
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #2 on: 2003-01-29, 07:31 »

PHP is a server-side script.  unless you have access to the server, you can't see what's actually going on in the script..  a few tutorial sites have a script on their site though, that will let you view the source to other scripts on their site remotely.  otherwise you're just viewing the HTML/Javascript/CSS that was preformatted and/or generated by the PHP.

The official PHP site -- fun stuff if you're into coding and web design.

i use PHP on my server.  i love to play around with it.  in fact, it's how i'm setting up the Dynamic DNS Account Configurator for when i get my dynamic DNS service running for ya guys...  B)
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2003-01-29, 15:40 »

I'm installing a calendar hack for invision.  Supposed to add alot more features.  Adding the modules was pretty easy, but editing those php files for a guy who's never touched code before is a little daunting... Slipgate - Wink
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-01-29, 16:00 »

PHP & MySQL is a damn good marriage - no bickering, no unnecessary receptions, no payment required - it's a damn shame i work with em for my job, which kinda takes the fun out when working  with it in my spare time - although stuff like the GD mod keeps me interested ;]

http://zia.xs4all.nl:8000/image/imgtxt.php
Edit ^-- yes, it's slow - so don't spam it.
« Last Edit: 2003-01-29, 16:02 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2003-01-29, 16:07 »

Damn, that is an annoying sig, Tab Slipgate - Wink

Anyway, dns error for your link there...
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2003-01-29, 20:18 »

ummmm dna, if you'd like you can e-mail me or PM me on IRC if you have PHP questions...  i'm no coding god, but i've done a lot of hacks  Slipgate - Laugh

errrr... you said invision?  meaning the forums?  good god man, that is NOT a good way to start learning PHP!!!

i've worked some with the OpenBB forum PHP code, and it's a nightmare even to me... so unless invision is really neat and tidy, i can understand why it would look daunting to you  Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2003-01-29, 20:20 by Lt. Phil » Logged
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #7 on: 2003-01-29, 20:47 »

Thanks Phil, I might take you up on that if I sporkin spork things up.  But really, all I'm doing here is taking a hack somebody else wrote and replaceing part of the code from Invision with code he wrote.  It's the syntax(or is that indentation?) that is messing me up - do I need to keep this space here?  Or maybe I should paste this code on the next line??  Things like that.  I'll finish it up tonight and then see if the server melts.  Oh well, that's why you keep back up copies of the things you change, right?  Slipgate - Wink
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #8 on: 2003-01-30, 08:46 »

actually that's one of the beautiful things about PHP... it doesn't give a fluck about spacing.  nor does it care how many lines your code spans.  just don't forget the semicolons at the end of each logical line of code.... i.e.

Code:
if((foo+bar)==baz){echo "true";}else{echo "false";}
is equivalent to
Code:
if ( ( foo + bar ) == baz ) { echo "true"; } else { echo "false"; }
is equivalent to
Code:
if    (    ( foo + bar )   ==   baz   )   {
     echo   "true";
}
else
{
     echo   "false";
}

all three of those will print "true" if the sum of foo and bar is equivalent to baz, however the last two examples are more readable than the first two.  if you're just doing one command on an if statement, the second spacing is probably preferrable; however, if you're executing two or more commands, the block-method spacing of the third example will be easier to read at a glance.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2003-01-30, 16:11 »

Quote from: Lt. Phil
, however the last two examples are more readable than the first two.  if you're just doing one command on an if statement, the second spacing is probably preferrable; however, if you're executing two or more commands, the block-method spacing of the third example will be easier to read at a glance.
If you say so Slipgate - Tongue

You need to realize I haven't done any coding since BASIC, and I still expect the damn code lines to be numbered  B)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: